Engine Rev Glitch - Bouncing off limiter all the time

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by TJam11, Feb 1, 2017.

1. TJam11

TJam11 Registered

Hey all,

So just downloaded and ran Rfactor 2 for the first time, after having a ball with the original.

G29 wheel was all calibrated nicely and control graph showed everything was working correctly.

So I fired up Silverstone national in an F2 car and left the pits to have a go. However...

As soon as I let the limiter go and went full throttle, the engine instantly bounced up to max revs, like it was still in neutral. Now keep in mind I had auto-shifting and auto-clutch on.

The car was accelerating at a normal rate (I think), but the computer would hold the gear for 2 or 3 seconds, then shift up, where the problem would happen again: straight on to the red line, hold for the 3 seconds with the car accelerating, then shift and repeat.

It was incredibly loud, annoying, and experience ruining. I can't claim to be an expert on race cars, but I know enough that they shouldn't do that. I never had that issue with any single seat race car in Rfactor 1.

Has anybody else come across this problem, and more importantly, know how to fix it?

Many thanks for the help.

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mh, could you please do and post a video of this?
    I´m not sure what you mean.
    However there are options to finetune autoshifting process. But first I would like to see what´s wrong.

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Do you get this issues with a stock (ISI/S397) car or an addon mod? If it is an addon mod, have a look into the car upgrade page. Maybe there is an upgrade for automatic clutch/shifting available.

4. TJam11

TJam11 Registered

Hi Guys,

Here is a short video illustrating my problems:

First 20 seconds of the vid just show some of the settings.

I'm using the game pretty much straight out of the box, only just downloaded it. So everything is on default settings.

I've tried multiple vehicles as well as traction control on and off and the problem is the same with every car, so I assume it must be a game glitch or I have a setting way off somewhere.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

5. Mario Marquez

Mario Marquez Registered

Hi,

It seems that your problem is the clutch pedal. As I can see in the video, the clutch pedal is stuck in the middle of the range (blue bar). Try to reassign the clutch pedal in the controls menu, or calibrate the pedal with the set min, set max buttons (under the blue bar)
    After the configuration, if you are not pressing the clutch pedal and you don't see the blue color bar, then everything should be fine.

Hope that solves your problem :)

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

This!

And I hope that your FPS are far better without recording!
    Otherwise you have a new problem.

7. AceLain

AceLain Registered

This !!

8. TJam11

TJam11 Registered

Hey guys, thank you very much for your responses, that has now fixed my problem!

I calibrated the clutch pedal and set a min/max and now it works like it should!

Thanks for all your help, and thank you Mario for finding the fault and advising a fix so quickly.

And yes Peter, thankfully my FPS is much better than in the recording, it's at about 30 frames. Although I'm running on a GTX 980 so would Imagine I can probably run higher that that. Wonder if there is an FPS cap in place somewhere...

Thanks again all.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Must be, because i reach usually above 100 FPS with my GTX980, ingame everything set on high/max, single screen 1600x1200, AI 15-20

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

30 FPS is waaay too less! Look in Player.JSON under graphics for cap setting.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I run over 60FPS apart from some pits when getting close to them with 3x1080p monitors and a single GTX980. So you should have higher than 30. I have shadows and opponents set to medium and soft particles to low.

12. JackFeelsNerves

JackFeelsNerves Registered

Perhaps VSync is on? If for some reason the system can't maintain 60fps, VSync will force the fps to 30 to synchronise with the screen refresh.
    VSync has more disadvantages than advantages if the system can't run solid fps at the screen's native refresh rate (usually 60Hz). This drop to 30fps is about the worst thing, but there's also input lag...imo it's much better to suffer a little screen tearing than to drop to 30fps and have input lag!
    I highly recommend a GSync monitor if your budget will stretch to that; the technology enables the monitor to alter its refresh rate to dynamically match the fps being output by the GFX card. Perfect smoothness (at decent frame rates) and no input lag. :cool:

tldr; switch VSync to OFF in the NVidia control panel "manage 3D settings" page.

peterchen likes this.