GTR 3

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by rogue22, Feb 2, 2017.

1. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Zero idea what it will be
    Team has pretty much changed since gtr2 & gtr3 will be on a new engine and they're also talking about console gaming

No mention of laser scanner tracks (not that laser scanning makes a sim a good sim ), good luck to them though who knows , I remember being hopeful for AC but what a big disappointment that was for me, it's like a console title (limited depth)

By the time gtr3 is released rfactor2 could grow to be more powerful than we could possibly imagine

3. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

The one thing they get right IMO is to get a proven gfx engine.
    rF2 shows that it doesn't work to develop everything from scratch. We can't even have simple shaders with emissive maps for day to night transitions...

As for the rest of that GTR3 announcement : simcade GT cars, meh.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

a custom engine tailored completely for racing simulation built up from scratch though perhaps is needed to deliver the total feel of depth that rfactor2 offers

ISI engine for rfactor2 has been sculptured step by step specifically for this application

graphical shaders and visual disadvantages is a very very small price to pay,
    a generic graphics engine maybe can only be tailored to specific purpose to a certain degree perhaps

rfactor2's graphics ( forget the poor 3rd party stuff although no doubt there's a few that are fine) are more than good enough ......dx11 & some refinements are coming as a bonus

AC feels to me as if its on some nice shiny graphics engine that's been somehow bent & forced to produce a half measure racing simulator

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Ho3n3r likes this.
  5. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Don't put the bias "live4speed" cap on just yet. Raceroom isn't that bad actually, and if they've been paying attention to what been going on in the past few years we might get something worth adding to our collection, especially if they keep the original spirit alive.

Regardless, a new sim from a former team of sim veterans is always a welcome. So lets see if sector3's been paying attention.

Ace Pumpkin and Adrianstealth like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One of the comments over at Race Department was Why? Why do we need another GTR style game when several of the sims now have GTR mods or actual content. Well.....what if.... What if they sign licensing agreements with the various leagues/competitors and then those pesky lawyer start sending out letters to the sim community to remove any content (read cars) that conflicts with the licenses

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've read a lot of posts regarding this news since it broke the other day and have had time to think things through a little, firstly it's great that another Racing Sim is coming to the PC but that in itself will pose a problem - this is a niche market and do we really have room for another one? Look at AMS, as good as it is it has a very small following with hardly any online activity yet it is regarded as one of the best Racing Experiences! How will the little teams cope with a bigger one coming in?
    Which leads me to a point I've seen raised before, as Sim Racers can we really afford (in the monetary sense) to buy yet another product full of GT cars that are already featured in 2-3 other titles already? Even if they get the full license (all cars & tracks) how much is that gonna be?
    Now as much as I like to spread the wealth to the Devs of these Sims (they deserve it...period!), is it really worth buying the same track - again - for another Sim for example? I've got Spa so many times I've lost count! Is there too much same content already right now let alone next year with GTR3? But what if GTR3 blasts away the competition and grabs the users, will the other games dwindle and fall away?

Aside from the questions and worries above in the end it matters not, GTR3 is coming and I will no doubt buy it should the reviews & previews be any good, not that I'd have time to race it mind but hey ho! I of course wish them every success especially with the Console side of things (I'm not one of those petty console haters that riddles this sim racing community!) and hope that the PC Hardcore Mode is as good as any other title we have, I hope that GTR3 takes Sim Racing in a new direction of sorts and becomes a proper Big game, not just another "it's alright" racing sim.

Also where does the time come from to play all these Sims, for those of us with families and full time employment even getting 20mins a day is a result...oh man to be unemployed & single again :p I mean by the end of 2018 we could have:

RF2
    (Not) RF3
    Automobilista
    Reiza 17
    RaceRoom Racing Experience
    GTR3
    iRacing
    Assetto Corsa
    Assetto Corsa 2
    pCars
    pCars2
    (I know I've missed/forgotten a few)

Whilst the choice is staggering I personally fear it's getting spread a little thin, will we reach a point in the Sim Racing World where it all collapses in on itself like a Star and come crashing down to just a few Developers? Will those smaller teams survive the crash? Or will the list just keep growing and we get blessed every year with a couple of new Sims to have no time to play with? Do we really want Spa laser scanned 8 times so we can pointlessly see "which one is best"! Is one of those Sims going to grab the community and say "Hey, we have everything you need!" or will another new Sim just have the best bits of other Sims but fail in other areas (like we currently have).

Whatever happens with regards to GTR3 and the future of Sim Racing we are lucky to be in the time we are now, we should embrace it and support these Developers and not run around like kids screaming "My Sim is better than your Sim because...", it's gonna be an interesting time for sure and I hope above everything else it works out alright for all Developers involved.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh I own all of those titles
    Except pcars

If GTR3 is a full out sim & has decent fps & VR then I'll no doubt pick it up just to support the devs,

I only really stick to one sim though ( & mainly one sim car) & tend to get really involved with it
    & don't jump around to much

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Registered

pCARS :
    Pay more than the average of $9.50 (about £7.61) (on HumbleBundle site) to also unlock:
    Pcars

Be a completist. Make Statements without Qualifications. Congratulate yourself on saving money not buying it 2 years ago.

You are more likely to impress the average person with Pcars than any of the other titles. Hook your friends, then slowly reel them into real racing......(well, sim racing).

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I´m a little bit on Marc´s side here.
    We don´t need another (GT-) sim. I think that this does no good for the genre. At least when it is moddable!
    Think about when the few modders we have go to GT3 because it´s the best showroom for theire work....
    And what we need the last is another (GT-) sim with dumped down physics (what GT3 will be, as it will focus on simcade-feel
    that is easy accessible for the mass-market. That means it will be dumber as raceroom, what already isn´t a big physics-blast-feel-experience.)!!
    Said that, we already survived things like the codie F1-series and other crap, but as Marc said: Why the 10th Spa-track with cars that we drive for decades now in higher definition physics and accuracy?????

A word to AC´s graphics, as I now finally own it: I did a cloudy morning at silverstone to test some cars and it looked far inferior to rF2 at the same conditions. From a lightning and depths-standpoint it remembered me a bit of rF1 with ENB-plugin. Said that, I know that there are gxf-mods around that are able to blast the visual experience a lot.

Of other dissapointments with this game I don´t want to tell....

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This!

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I only stick to one sim too, right now is AMS and a bit of rF2 because it is the one I'll focus more in a near future when I drop AMS.
    But... RR going iRacing style multiplayer could get me if they have enough people and seems like some of the stuff in GTR3 will be moved to RR(?). So it's a bit confusing, we'll have 2 GTR3 games with different names after all?
    Let's see what rF2 will do on the multiplayer part

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It probably wouldn't be so bad if we all moved to a new Sim every year, like the FIFA crowd do to some extent. But clearly todays Sims last years thanks to the continuous development plans of the Devs, so many people are already enjoying the current crop and won't have time for a complete new Sim. So whilst it will be nice to have another choice on one hand, on the other there's no doubt that the Sim Market will become bloated as more new titles get released, the community will fragment even more unless over time the popularity of our hobby grows - and the only way I can see that happening is will Arcade Console versions just like what GTR3 proposes. Some of those Arcade fans may sift down to the Hardcore options of the Game and then to other titles that we all know about, this has already happened with AC Console players ending up getting PCs, again though time will tell.

Either way the latest screens of GTR3 do look good, and whether us Physics over Graphics guys like it or not the fact is that Graphics of a Sim are a major selling point, for that reason alone I can see GTR3 doing very well.
    How they separate RRE & GTR3 is a bit of a head scratcher too, seems they will both take something from each other but basically end up in direct competition, I can't - at this moment in time with barely any other information - see any other way of them both working in unison.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

From what i`ve read out of the information, RRRE (Sector3) will go in the iRacing direction, with rating system etc., while GTR3 (Simbin) would be a multiplatform simracing game. No need to scratch the head :D

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I read that somewhere too but that was someone else's interpretation of it not an official source unless you read different :)

Juergen-BY likes this.
  16. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Great post MarcG, and I agree with you on a lot of what you said.

Here's my take,the thing I enjoyed about GTR 1 and 2 was the experience combined with some really good driving physics. Many many times I'd wip up an offline race with the AI and feel like I was a part of something. Rfactor 1 had GT mods that are still in use today, but it was cut and dry. GTR 1 and 2 as far as I know never effected sales or outcomes (other than a few who used Simbin created tracks and material). If GTR 3 can be a true successor in the GTR series it would be a mistake not to release it. It was after all in the pipeline to begin with until Simbin had there split and in house drama started to unfold. Rfactor 2 has some awesome GT series and cars, but again its cut and dry lacking life. You hop in the car and drive and use what knowledge you have about GT racing to come to your own conclusion or fantasy, but that's always been rfactor 1 and 2's style. It appeal to us back in the 2000s, not so much nowdays.

Its a bit cumbersome to a newcomer. When I load up rfactor 2 my friends scratch there heads about whats actually happening, but when I load up assetto corsa or Pcars they nut, lol! Meanwhile I'm salty because they insulted my beloved Rfactor 2. They love the life of the game so to speak.

Pcars is like a step child of that series, it came with the experience but lacked in overall racing quality (my opinion anyway). I still purchased it, and it sold well, even more so on the consoles. Assetto corsa in its early stages looked like a decent successor to GTR 2 but we soon discovered it had a completely different direction, as much as people hate kunos, he's was smart to push it to consoles. He needed that money to continue or assetto corsa would have dried up and gone away already. They sale more copies to more people plain and simple. Takes money to produce these kinds of programs our very small niche community has. We almost lost Rfactor 2 over money lets be realistic about that. ISI was going broke trying to stay true to us and it just wasn't working anymore, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Console gamers are demanding more realistic racing games or simulations. There's nothing to say the PS4 or Xbox one can't handle some of the simulations we have out today, I own a PS4 and I'm quite impressed by it. Console gamers want a reason to go out and buy a 300 dollar wheel or other expensive hardware we use on PC, give it to them. I've got nothing against a solid racing game or sim that convinces me I'm driving a car, regardless what hardware its being used on.

So like I said if sector3 or simbin or whatever we are to call them now has been paying attention they could actually trick out a decent product, my only hope is they just stick the spirit of the GTR series and not try and reinvent the wheel.

17. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Today the success and the longevity of a sim is mainly for on-line "e-sport"
    It will depend on the competitiveness of online race, Iracing does not have the best tray of GT it is not the best driving experience, but it has a high online competition and people even likes with a prohibitive price
    I dream about the same on-line on RF2!!!

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Juergen-BY likes this.
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If you knew anything about the Unreal engine then you'd clearly see these are in game screenshots, they're not "claiming" anything. If you're fed you with it then ignore it, simple.

rogue22 likes this.
  20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Registered

The only word of your post I disagree with. :)

For as long as they have an effective monopoly, they could charge double and still have people paying the subs.
    iRacing is the most realistic sim ever created; real nascar drivers send their own cars back to the garage if they do not handle the way iRacing cars do. (Some road racers are concerned about the likelihood of being skyrocketed 50 feet in the event of minor barrier brushing, but as iRacing is the most realistic sim ever created then hollywood style car-chukkas will need to be fitted to all race cars this year. (Electronic cars are exempt) )

If Rf2 or R3E or GT3 can compete online with driver numbers (populated servers) and ratings to separate the fast guys from the gentlemen racers, then they can have my money.......

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017