[WIP] 1969 Formula 5000 cars

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by stdave, May 6, 2016.

1. C_Stephens

C_Stephens Registered

Got back to turning some laps with these after some time away and jumped in the eagle. I thought it was weird how the rear wing wasn't adjustable but went out on track anyways. After drifting all over and not keeping the wheels from spinning I thought i just plain old sucked bad lol, came here looking for setup tips and thankfully read this. Whew, much relieved so just picked a different car to go out on track with. Nice work Dave I enjoy these beasts and look forward to future updates.

2. jimagn

jimagn Registered

These cars make a great series. I too am looking forward to future updates to a mod that's already awesome. Thanks for all the work.

3. Highbank

Highbank Registered

I don't know if any of y'all knew this but we lost Tony Adamowicz in October after a long battle with brain cancer. Tony was a very beautiful soul as well as a great champion. Not only the 1969 F5000 Champ but also a Lemans winner and the 1968 Trans Am U2 Champ.

Tony was gracious enough to spend time with me as I helped research the Eagle Mk 5 for Dave. I can say that he became my friend and I feel the loss deeply.

I just found some pictures online of Tony driving the #7 car that he rode to the '69 Championship with and he also won two more championship titles with it in the Historic F5000 Racing Association as well. I almost feel the car should have been buried with him as no one else had ever driven it. He wouldn't of wanted that, he would of joked about it but he wouldn't have wanted this fantastic piece of living history to meet that end.
    His only advice about how to drive these beasties was to "Point and shoot" meaning don't try and be in the power with the wheel turned, it won't end well for you. He said this applies to most Can-Am cars as well.

Here's a couple shots of Tony in the Eagle June 6, 2014 at Indy...
    [​IMG]

He ain't being lapped here by the younger cars...he's leading...
    [​IMG]

Rest in Peace my friend.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Seven Smiles, Ned52, Louis and 6 others like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Somewhere there is a semi-documentary about James Garner competing in F5000. Kinda like home movies with some narration. I wonder if Tony is in it at all? Sorry for your loss, I remember seeing races on TV that he competed in, but never knew that much about him. Thank you for the information.

5. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

The Racing Scene?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180946/
    Some great footage in that one indeed...

Highbank likes this.
  6. stdave

stdave Registered

Very sad about Tony. The images of the Eagle were a big help in modelling it.

The Racing Scene clip at Lime Rock Park.

Highbank and Eric Rowland like this.
  7. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

My favorite story about Tony is from LeMans 1970 when he and Sam Posey were sharing a Ferrari 512 and it rained quite a lot during the race. The rain caused the windscreen to fog up constantly and Tony told somebody to go to a concessionaire and get a raw potato. They cut the potato in half and Tony rubbed the spud over the inside of the windscreen and voila the fog and mist went away. RIP Tony A-to-Z.

Highbank likes this.
  8. bwana

bwana Registered

Rip tony , yes the spud trick works well , I've used it at sea many a time on the spinning 'clear view'

Highbank and Eric Rowland like this.
  9. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Hello,
    When I Drive the Lotus 70 i find it incerdibly hard to get through a lap never mind a race. I thikn the rears lock up so easily its very hard to stop the car from spinning. I love this car and wish i could drive it more but it feels like somethings up as opposed to the other cars in the pack that are stable under braking.
    And on another side note, would you ever make the Low rear wing on the Lotus 70?. [​IMG]
    And I believe in some cases the Exhausts on the Lotus 70's were position under the axle as opposed to over it. It would be nice to have the option like with the Lola T142 where we could choose where to have the exhaust positioned :). Here is a picture of a Lotus 70 with the Exhaust over the axle with the Low rear wing. Whilst the picture above is Low Rear wing and Low exhaust position.[​IMG]
    I can understand that it is more work and it is up to you the mod creator, I was just making a few suggestions since the 70 is one of my favourite looking open wheel cars of all time. Its like a baby Lotus 72 V1.

I really do love this mod as a classic racing car fanatic. F5000 is one of the coolest series ever and I thank you so much for producing this mod I love driving it!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  10. stdave

stdave Registered

The Lotus 70 is the car that Mario Andretti drove at Sebring at the end of 1969. It had the four up and over exhausts.
    I do hope to get back to this mod sometime soon but ATM I'm very busy with other projects.

[​IMG]

Highbank and Mauro like this.
  11. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Yeah, I hope that last message did not come across as "Do this, do that!" i really did not mean it if it did. I really enjoy this mod and with the Lotus being one of my favourite cars there is some bias :) But you have done such an awesome job with this mod and i hope the other projects you are doing turn out just as awesome! (Well if this mod is anything to go by it definitely will!)

Highbank likes this.
  12. stdave

stdave Registered

No, its really difficult to get peoples intent on the internet but I'm always open to constructive criticism.
    I don't think (without checking) that the Lotus brakes are very different to the other cars. The brakes are one of things that I wanted to look into as they always lock-up too easy for me.

Highbank, samcar304 and Mauro like this.
  13. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Although 1971 and not a fair fight........

14. stdave

stdave Registered

Jackie Stewart testing AJ Foyt's M10B at the 1971 Questor GP.
    [​IMG]

Highbank likes this.
  15. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Yeah, it definitely was not criticism. This mod does not deserve that. I was just suggesting some future ideas :)
    I tested the Lotus 70 again and in gears 1 and 2 after applying more than about 50% brake application the rear tires temperature shoots up to over 100 nearing 120 in less than a second, and the car then spins. It might be my driving style but it really catches me off guard I might need some more practice in it. But just in case there is something wrong i just thought i would mention it.

16. Legend

Legend Registered

hi stdave

just tryed v.0.83 in Bridgehampton
    it is a very interesting project.
    Has its development stopped? in that case it would be a shame

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. stdave

stdave Registered

Development is suspended :eek:. I think that I reached the limit of my rF2 knowledge and other projects where requiring more of my time. Our league (HSO) takes all of my editing time at the moment as we develop more new mods.

The cars look great at the Bridge. :cool:

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was going to say the cars look 'Natural' at Bridgehampton.

Highbank likes this.
  19. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Disappointed to hear that it is suspended for now. But the work you do at HSO is awesome! Hopefully in the future some additonal HSO content will make its way to rF2. *cough* CART '88 *cough*

Highbank likes this.
  20. Robert Thurman

Robert Thurman Registered

Happy to see HSO found a replacement for Mr.White. They are in good hands now. Thanks.

Highbank likes this.