Stuttering/Purple bar issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DanielTheFreak, Jan 29, 2017.

1. DanielTheFreak

DanielTheFreak Registered

Hey all,

so like many others I got the problem that every 10-20 seconds my game freezes for half a second which makes driving cleanly pretty impossible. I searched the forums and found a lot of threads with people having the exact same issue and I have tried many different fixes to no avail:

Setting "Use thread" to "true/false"
    disabling Diagnostics Policy Service
    Turning down graphics
    VSync on/off
    32bit mode
    less AI cars
    various GPU drivers
    disable turbo boost (couldn't find hyper-threading or speedstep)

The green bar remains at 100% and the purple bar stays at about 40% and still spikes to 80-100% when the lag appears. However, the frame rate remains stable at ~80FPS and at 60 with VSync on.
    I'm pretty desperate at the moment as it's a fucking great game but I haven't been able to play it properly due to this :(

Specs:
    Intel i5-4690 3.5 GHz
    Gigabyte H97-HD3
    MSI R9 380 2GB
    2x Crucial Ballistix DIMM 4GB, DDR3-1600 CL9
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I'm pretty clueless at the moment so I hope some smart people in this forum may be able to help me. I'd be very happy :)

Greetings

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Sounds more like a system hickup (windows screwd up).
    Check what programs and processes run in the background. Press CTRL+Alt+delete to go into task manager.
    Report what you see.
    How long is the windows system on the HDD now? Ever had a virus or something?

3. DanielTheFreak

Checked the task manager and found nothing out of the ordinary. Killed some tasks that may not be needed for games and disabled my antivirus (Avast) and the stuttering is still there.

I did a fresh install of Windows about 2 months ago, never had any viruses and didn't have any issues like this in any other game before.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Wich track and wich mod? With some tracks and mods, also depending on how much ai selected and your ingame gfx settings, you can easily running out of your RAM and VRAM.

5. DanielTheFreak

Happens on any track. RAM and VRAM are fine.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

8 GB is enough RAM. And as long as you don´t load 20 AI onto the track, 2GB VRAM should work also. I lived for some years with 2GB VRAM and never had any problems with rF2, with or without AI.
    Does this also happens when you are alone on the track?

7. DanielTheFreak

Yes it happens with the stock cars, stock tracks, mods, with AI and alone. The replay is also very choppy. Turning auto recording off doesn't help either unfortunately.

Even reinstalled the game and defragmented my HDD. Really don't know what to do anymore :/

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Dust in the cooler(s)?
    Sadly I have no clue of AMD-driver tweaks. Hyperthreading and speedstep can be found in BIOS.

9. DanielTheFreak

I don't think so. My temps are fine and as I said rF2 is the only game that is giving me these headaches. But I can check my fans and such tomorrow.

I thought so too but on my Gigabyte H97-HD3 I can only find turbo boost which made no difference turning it off.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just checked e.g. Matsusaka with the Nissan GT500, 10 Ai
    RAM usage: 8.0 GB
    VRAM usage: 2.25 GB

Those comments "8GB is enough RAM" etc. where maybe valid a couple of years ago...?

11. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

This may be a long shot but...

Over on the Reiza forum some people were complaining of a similar regular stutter with Automobilista.
    I'm not sure if RF2 deals with shadows in the same way, but what it was narrowed down to was the "Time Scale" function.
    As the time scale moved along, every 20-30 seconds or so, the game recalculates all the shadows causing a regular stutter for some. Maybe try disabling the time scale function or reducing shadows to, say, medium.

Not sure if this will help but it sounds like anything is worth a shot right now. Good luck Man!

12. DanielTheFreak

Hmm did the same test but 1.8GB VRAM and 5GB RAM. Lower settings of course but still odd that there's such a big dicrepancy.

Tested it out and it seems to be working quite good actually. Will keep you updated but for the moment this fix has actually reduced some of the lag, thank you!

Bob Gnarley likes this.
  13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I had ingame everything on Max and the RAM/VRAM usage was overall the system , not rF2 alone...

14. DanielTheFreak

Same for me except for maxed out settings which I don't need. Still, RAM/VRAM are not the issues.

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

What is this green and purple bar? Something in rF2 you can toggle on/off?

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Green is GPU usage and purple CPU usage. Can be switched on/off with ctrl+c.

Bob Gnarley and Alex72 like this.
  17. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

If you are running the latest crimson drivers (16.11 and above) AND have MSI afterburner running it can cause this problem. Afterburner is incompatible with the latest drivers.

18. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

I'll have to try this too because I experience it once and a while and never thought about the time scale. I always adjust it close to the amount of other scales which is like 5x lol. Thanks for the tip ;)

19. Chris Shepherd

Chris Shepherd Registered

I have the same issues. The game freeze is very random and happens for me anything between 0-8 times per NIGHT!! Racing is impossible almost. I've sat there with the game running and just watching the Task Manager Graph. It is the game itself which uses +90% CPU for a split second. Its not plugins as received freezes with the plugin d3dl.dll file removed. I think its just an issue with the game the needs to be addressed, which I'm sure they are addressing. If I was you , I wouldn't bother wasting any more hours trying to fix. Hopefully the DX11 update will solve the nonsense.

Thanks,

Chris.

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

A problem at the game itself?
    Strange that only a few people have this problem, isn´t it?
    Please don´t tell BS.