SteamCMD server not visible

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by mermoid, Jan 21, 2017.

1. mermoid

mermoid Registered

I am having serious problems getting a server running properly since moving to Steam.

I have tried using both the SteamCMD dedicated server as a standalone tool, and also using the 'host' button through my rf2 launcher when logged into Steam but I have the same problem with both: the server does not appear in the server list for anyone.

I've spent literally two hours today trying suggestions from other threads on this subforum with no luck, primarily testing an absolute multitude of alternative ports including those suggested by Christopher Elliott (27013-27018) but it hasn't made any difference. I've verified that my port forwarding rules are working correctly using other tools and can't find any issues with that. I've also checked on https://world.rfactor.net/server-list and my servers appear there fine - but not via the server browser in the game launcher.

I also still have the 1098 Lite Build installed, and any server I open using that (with default ports or alternative ports) appears in the launcher's server browser without issue (apart from the version mismatch, obviously). Therefore, it seems clear the issue is something related to Steam in particular. I have forwarded all the Steam ports listed here as well as every different combination of ports I've tried in multiplayer.json. I also tried removing the antivirus and firewall from the server PC altogether with no luck (the Lite build works fine with both active anyhow).

If anyone has any ideas I am open to anything...

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

These ports are only for LAN, which http ports did you try so far otherwise?

3. Christopher Elliott

Can you go into your server's player folder and send me the file:
    CustomPluginsVariables.JSON
    You can send it via convo to me on here if you like

4. mermoid

mermoid Registered

Yes, I saw that they were for LAN but I was trying to see if I could at least make it visible for myself on LAN if not for others on WAN but it was still not visible on LAN either. I tried the default, 65001 which someone suggested, then going up in intervals of 100 which I saw suggested too (so 64297, 64397, 64497 etc...). I also tried some random numbers that were within the range specified in the multiplayer.json but I can't remember exactly what they were now. Any time I checked any of them with canyouseeme.org it was showing the ports as visible. I tried putting the server in my router's DMZ with all ports open as well and it made no difference. But as I said, the older lite build works perfectly well without making any tweaks to the default ports at all.

I will send you the file shortly, but I'm using a completely fresh install of the steamCMD dedicated server and haven't installed any additional plugins at all, so the file will just be 100% whatever the default is.

5. mermoid

mermoid Registered

I just checked, my CustomPluginsVariables.JSON has no contents except the word "null" @Christopher Elliott

6. Christopher Elliott

Thank you :)

7. mermoid

mermoid Registered

My problem seems to be the same experienced by @Depco here in posts #49 - #55.

The listing is definitely being created because it can be viewed through other sources, but it simply doesn't show up through the game's server browser/Steam server browser:

[​IMG]

8. Christopher Elliott

Can you please try checking/fixing your Windows permissions for the SteamCMD Dedicated server folder?

9. mermoid

mermoid Registered

System and my user account (which is an admin account) both have full control permissions

10. Christopher Elliott

When you right click on the dedicated server folder, 'your own user account' is listed as having read/write permissions?

11. mermoid

mermoid Registered

Ah, no, I see what you mean - my account in particular isn't there, just the "Administrators" group. My account is the one and only account in that group though (and on the computer).

12. Christopher Elliott

OK thanks for checking that, try giving your user all the privileges. Then launch your server again.

13. mermoid

mermoid Registered

OK tried that, with http ports 64297, 27013, 27014 and 27015 and I still can't see it using another PC on my own network (on WAN or LAN) but my friends aren't around right now to check whether anyone else can see it.

14. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

here are the ports I opened for rF2 server
    TCP - 64297
    BOTH - 54297-54298
    UDP - 64298-64299

I also had problems with server showing up,not showing up,being connectible and not being connectible.
    I had the protocols mixed up,trial and error got me to the ports and protocols above.
    Server is now showing and joinable.

15. Christopher Elliott

The issue is that plugins are/were not loading - if your CustomPluginVariables.JSON says "null" then none have loaded. Without loading Steam plugin your server will not show in Steam MM.

16. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

would that be because the plugin is missing or just not loading?

17. Christopher Elliott

Just not loading (unless you purposely removed the plugin of course)
    Easy way to check this is to just open up the CustomPluginVariables.JSON

18. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

checked mine and it has loads of entries but my friend is also having same problem as OP (may even be my friend....)
    just gathering info so we can trace his problem.

19. Christopher Elliott

Thanks.
    The plugins not loading is one reason a server might not show in Steam MM, it can also be port/firewall related.

20. mermoid

mermoid Registered

Thank you! This has fixed it when using the "host" button through the rF2 launcher on my main gaming PC. I was able to just enable the Steam plugin via the rF2 options menu (I didn't disable it, nor did I manually remove anything).

However, I then copied and pasted the CustomPluginVariables.JSON and Multiplayer.JSON from my main PC to my server and it's still invisble when using the SteamCMD standalone :S

For the time being I can always host and play on the same computer, it just means I won't be able to leave it running 24/7. At some point I'll try to find the time to completely start the SteamCMD installation process from scratch in case something went wrong seeing as it isn't loading the plugins for whatever reason.