Latest Roadmap Update - January 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 19, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

These new updates look fantastic and can't come quick enough for me.
    I really hope for performance improvements for my GTX1070 playing in 4K. Will DX11 help reduce aliasing.

2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

That is why I liked the upper right image.... there is a lot less aliasing in it.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I totally agree, when it comes to the actual gaming experience the UI is the very least of my worries, I'm fine with the current one as it does a job just fine. It could be a massive wall of text for all I care!

Saying that though I do like the look of the new one, change is necessary for S397 to do what they want to do so I'll happily migrate my mind over to the new UI :)

bwana likes this.
  4. bwana

bwana Registered

+1 100%, but there is a large chorus of complaints about just that and if that helps 397 make $$ = better product = more drivers(MP hopefully) then tied in with more features we all win.

5. nightrider01

nightrider01 Registered

Completely agree,baffles me why so many people car about how the UI looks,I just want to get out of it as quickly as possbile and get on track

bluet, Depco and bwana like this.
  6. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

Well, as a newbie in rF2 I can say that at first I found the UI quite messy… You have to click everywhere to just see what is available and make a complete tour to make sure you are not missing any key feature. This is more about ergonomic than just how it looks imho. Obviously from all the posts above, it is fine when you get use to it! :p
    Now, I must admit that I'm quite sensible to the look also… So I would appreciate something more up to today's standards too! I quite like what I see in the screenshot... :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    bluet, Marc Collins, Guimengo and 2 others like this.
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah it's like anything when you get used to it it's fine, I appreciate for the newbie it could seem a bit of an effort at first but then any other game is the same when you first start out :)

8. zaphman

zaphman Registered

Regarding updated GUI, I hope it's in the pipe to provide a place to provide vital information of, e.g. the car selected. I.e. drivetrain, type of shifter, bhp, trivia, etc, etc.

Modders/content must then of course provide this information eventually.

peterchen and MarcG like this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Agree, let's all go back to command lines like all other software devs do to their mainstream programs nowadays!

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Big thanks for the update the new interface is very much needed and looks brill !

No mention of progression with VR )-: but fingers crossed we'll know all next month

11. Kondor

Kondor Registered

Looks great.

Suggestion: Instead of releasing just a single car, please release an entire car series so I can organize a proper race without every car being exactly the same. Raceroom does a great job of this. rF2 instead has single examples of each type of car. In Raceroom, I love how each DTM 1992, Group 5 and GTO car is so different. Way more interesting.

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Regarding UI: I know it is not important for the racing but, I played AC on PC for quite a while. Last weekend I played it on PS4 and noticed the background music in there. I was immediately more into it and now I really miss it on PC. Same goes for rF2. It just adds a lot to it. I still remember the UI and the music from TOCA2 or Grandprix2,3 and 4. 20 year old games.

Guimengo likes this.
  13. Comante

Comante Registered

Looks like 2017 started with the right foot for RF2, I just hope the executable will be much more reliable than the actual (in term of CTD).

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

tbh i am on a different trip. the old gui is 90s technology which does not allow any modern things. To sell a sim it needs a modern dress. Modern graphics, modern gui and a newly fresh design. There are so much nice things missing in the old one. The new one should allow to manage the whole product in one interface, this means packaging, launcher, user profile, statistics, mod settings, etc.
    the base is chromium/html5 which means it can scale to all resolutions and stay sharp. To bring back people to that sim you need decsriptions and help everywhere. Hell thats so easy doable in html now. also the hud is been meant with the gui. i cant see the old outdated half-way-done hud elements anymore. we need customizable sharp and minmalistic information and rF2 now is finally heading into the bullseye.

Ernie, lagg, Flaux and 2 others like this.
  15. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

@davehenrie UI has a great role on racing games (but we can say all the games), you don't see it because you are an old rF2 user.
    In gaming, it is always about perception, if you build a good UI the user will feel to be part of a world...see Gran Turismo, all the games of the series have an UI which let you feel inside a garage because they want to let you feel like a poor (early stage of the game, no money and a lot of supercars you want to reach) or a rich guy (later in the game, lot of money you want to colect them all) choosing his new toy ready to be burned on road (we can say GT is more related to collect cars than racing them, you race to have money and buy new ones)...so I am not against a new UI or some critics against it until are logical and costructive...

Agree with you, new huds (minimal or not) are needed...

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Already been stated in past roadmaps or interviews that it is something they want to source. Licences seems a very difficult situation for game devs... so much "red tape" to get around and politics to avoid.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If they build the 1995 Reynard Honda, the chassis will cover a big part of the field and the tires can be borrowed by anyone interested in building the rest.

boxer likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I grew up in the Command line days. I had 6 different batch files just to start the PC with the proper memory configuration for certain games that were difficult to fit into the PC architecture.(Usually an Origin product)((or the computer arm twisting I had to go through to get the 3d version of ICR2 to work with the 2nd Gen Rendition vid card)) I have no problem with the GUI, but I don't invest any time worrying about the looks of the interface. If I can find the items I need to, then I will not ask for different motifs. The menus are only there to get me to the racing. If items on the menus IMPROVE the racing...I'm all for that. But it's the simulation and driving that I concern myself with, not how or where I click the mouse to get things started.

John, bwana and The Iron Wolf like this.
  19. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I think it's a mistake to invest in new cars and tracks now, because the amount of mods available for rfactor 1 is absurd, if the conversions are made easy, it will be enough.

Do a search in rfactorcentral.com and you will see.

http://www.drivingitalia.net/index.php?/forums/topic/71341-rfactor-dtm-1993-v11/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    The Iron Wolf likes this.
  20. batito

batito Registered