Wish: UI-implemented telemetry readout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hi boys and girls,

for some time now I stumble across threads regarding telemetry and rf2.

If you remember, in GTR2 (or the GP-Series) you had an easy way to check the motec readout's by clicking a motec-button within the game and the motec telemetry popped up. Sounds convenient right?

I then noticed, that I haven't done any telemetry stuff since GTR2 (and the GP-Series), because it wasn't really convenient to install 3rd party plugins and everything, just to get an external program ruining my race for alt-tabbing and crashing for instance...

So... with a new web-based UI in the making by S397, I was wondering if we could get rf2 to become the first sim with a fully build-in telemetry system...

Would this be possible to achieve? Wouldn't it be great?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Guimengo, Sebastien Sestacq and djbob like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What you want is telemetry, not Motec. GTR2 had a license to use the Motec software, which you then had to view separately, obviously. This isn't much different to a plugin creating log files which you then open separately.

What you want is integrated telemetry, like there has been in some games/sims over the years.

Flaux likes this.
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1 for easy, simpel integrated telemetry

Flaux likes this.
  4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Yes correct. I updated thread-title and 1st post.

EDIT: IIRC AC has a simple form of telemetry in game too, right?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

The "professional" sim racer will prefer to use MoTec, so not sure it's worth all the time and effort to build a competing system. I guess for AC there is also a plugin interface for tools like MoTec, so few probably use the in-built telemetry for any serious analysis.

Lgel, Ho3n3r, Flaux and 1 other person like this.
  6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I doubt that. For 95% of people an integrated system like GP-series had (and AC have) is enough.
    That said, I find the solution in AC not good implemented. It´s bad presented and there are too less options. In GP3 it was very good.
    edit: It´s always a question of functionality and number of data read out.

Flaux likes this.
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

[​IMG]

Watch the timing cams and timing standings... then you look at your telemetry holding up a bit of paper in the cockpit (like I've seen them studying in F1) :D

Flaux likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Whenever someone asks for help with getting Motec going they get everything installed and then say "now what?". Point them to tyre temps, set up ride height... and that's about it. It's nice to have more if you want to go exploring, but seems most people just want a bit of what they can't already see, or make it easier to check tyre temps (realtime is fine, but obviously distracts a bit from driving) and that's it. The GP2 (?) style telemetry worked plenty well for most people wanting to drive and do a little setup adjustment, and other similar-era games had around the same level which is probably adequate.

What I do remember from Indycar Racing (? or maybe 2?) was 3 tread depth wear indicators across the tyre. It's a shame rF2 doesn't provide more visual indication of its complex tyre model, instead just showing a single amount of wear. It's nice to have a prettier game, a friendlier, easier-to-use game, which will help attract the gamers wanting more sim. But if you can make it easier for a real life enthusiast driver (weekend track day warrior, perhaps, or entry level racer) to do and see the same things they'd do in real life, you could attract some realistic appraisals and ultimately enhance the game's reputation.

peterchen likes this.