When will VR be here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RRL Shadow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

VR with motion is bliss !

The track cam is fixed on the wall
    Remember on the types of setups that we use (that fit into our homes) only really replicate the body's movement as it would be inside of a racing seat (imagine no right racibg seat belt) so the actual view changing corresponding to this is ultra natural & realistic

Can not get any better sim racing heaven is here

PS I use an oculus CV1, the Vive is the other good one , I assume Rfactor 2 will work with both on release ( on dx11 & compatibility release)

2. stonec

stonec Registered

You do realize those problems with resolution will be sorted as technology develops? Five years ago we had smartphones with 480p resolution, now those same phones come with Quad HD displays. Nvidia about doubles the performance of their GPU's in every generation, so I wouldn't be worried about performance either. All you have to do is to wait a year or less for the next generation of GPU's and VR devices if you want to enjoy a really high-res experience.

ericRacer likes this.
  3. osyres

osyres Registered

i don t really understand this thread because they said allready month ago that dx11 will come 1q of 2017. @ bkim Ac does not even support oculus finaly its a pre alpha version and the image quallity is not even near to real vr games with good vision. But vr is the future and nobody will play in 10 years a simracing game on a single monitor so why the hell should i hate the future ? :D it just makes no sense. Vr = virtual reallity so simracing means as close to real life and vr is one of the biggest steps to be close to real life in terms of the visual. So ofcourse publisher has to support vr otherwise they will get a big hit in the next years. U don t understand marketing and trends thats why u talk flat out bullshit.....

bluet likes this.
  4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Isnt it possible in VA to make macros? I think its possible to make a command where you say a word or a phrase and like a gazillion commands (button presses) plays out in a sequence. So "fill 30 liters" makes VA push button for LCD pit menu, down, down, addx30 etc (not the exact sequence, but as example). :)

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

eh? AC is one of the best VR performers I have played amongst all the VR games I've tried, it equals quality when compared to the best VR experiences and this is widely acknowledge in the AC VR thread over at Kunos.
    It may be dubbed "pre-alpha" but that doesn't mean it's any less than anything else out there on the market, when comparing to other Sims with VR currently I feel it's clearly the best.

bluet and Alex72 like this.
  6. osyres

osyres Registered

the image quality is not for vr thats why u can t read text as clear as a vr game..... even iracing which isn t perfect too has a better visual. Comon stop talking such bullshit.... i played more than 10 vr games and there aa and supersampling is just a other world compared to ac in terms of imange quality

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok then :)

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Ok possibly, just started tinkering with VA yesterday , you can adjust how long the button is held so l guess l would just have to nut it out . Thanks

9. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Whilst I realize that you can prove any point with statistics (even the same statistics) what we tend to keep an eye on are the results of the Steam Hardware Survey as found here:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Those currently estimate that about 0.38% of the total Steam userbase owns a VR headset and that the HTC Vive is the market leader right now. So yes, we are catering to early adopters here, but I think that some simracers are willing to invest more in their hobby/sport to create a setup they enjoy.

10. bwana

bwana Registered

just tried some changes but adding time to key hold down whilst it works for fuel ,the follow on effect is if you want to changed tires the same cross movement rolls through them too fast to select choosen tire.. wip :)

11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ok, i dont have VA atm, but isnt there some clear command or similar you could do to reset and start over with new command? I think VA is nifty enough that you can do just about anything. I could be wrong.

12. Bkim

Bkim Registered

VR is dead because of the price! It is not only the screen resolution. I believe that 4K per eye can be sold cheap in a few years. GPU power to serve the 4K per eye with 144hz is not and never will. That IS the problem! Some asked me if he could run tripple Asus PG279Q's with a single GTX 980ti on 144 hz...I told him to invest in two or even three Titans X's,

Ofcourse u can play VR with a GTX 1060. Good luck with vomiting. 800 euro's for a 4k per eye 144hz enjoyment and im sold and probably so will everybody. But paying 3000 euro's only for a VR device and GPU's...and im not talking about the rest of the hardware.
    Im not negative but realistic.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  13. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I believe VR is far from dead, quite the reverse, especially for sim racing! We could argue the same about cost for direct drive wheel support, motion simulator support, support for more the more realistic h-shifters coming on to the market and so on. There is a healthy and growing community into the cutting edge of tech plus VR is becoming ever more affordable.

For many that have tried it VR becomes the future of sim racing. It is an absolutely essential feature for a forward thinking developer right now IMHO.

bluet and Ernie like this.
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

How many new companies are entering the VR market this year? I think I counted 4 at the recent CES Show, could be less could be more. Either way VR is not for everyone and quite clearly that applies to at least one person in this thread ;)
    Incidentally with my GTX 970 and Rift I don't get any vomiting so that argument is blatantly flawed!

bluet likes this.
  15. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Never say never.
    It's all about VR optimization. (Eye-tracking etc.)

16. Bkim

Bkim Registered

Im talking about GPU price. A TITAN will cost 1000 euro's and it will cost a thousand euro's over 10 years, if the cars are still made. Besides that, it is NOT possible to make two pixels out of one pixel, simple as that. Pixels need to be rendered and that takes GPU power.

17. elbo

elbo Registered

Statistics? what is the percent of steam user base running RF2...I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is lower than the VR user base.
    Anyways we are talking about simracers here, I plunked down more than the price of a VR kit on my first projector so that I could play on a curved rear projection screen, then an additonal 250$ for warping software. We are a different lot than the average gamer I think, for one thing I think we are generally older (thus more disposable income).
    I am currently running AC with Oculus and while yes the resolution is not optimal, it is more than passable. The experience puts you in the car like nothing else. Turning your head to look at the apex in a hairpin is just mind blowing. Doing the old inside-outside move on an out braking manoeuvre is outstanding as well as you turn your head to track your opponent to avoid contact, I can literally see that the other guy is on a monitor and giving me way to much space because he has no idea where I am with respect to his car.
    VR and simracing are just a natural fit in my opinion. So looking forward to getting back in RF2 once VR is implemented.

bluet likes this.
  18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I politely suggest you research a topic you obviously don't care about in more detail next time, quite why it affects you as you have no interest in the subject is beyond me - your wasting your breath.

Inactive user 0001, bluet and RaceNut like this.
  19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I can imagine the same response the first time someone proposed compressed formats.

VR needs optimization. That's it. Considering the small differences between the two renders and that resolution is only important in the screen area where the focus is, significant boost in performance is to be expected in the following years.

Ernie likes this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

10 years? Who knows whats going to happen then?
    I remember when i was proud to use my Cirrus Logic RAM 1Mb :)
    [​IMG]

The Iron Wolf, taylajee and Ernie like this.