CTD's

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Alex72, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I wonder if Win 10 and its very popular Windows Update has anything to do with it.
    I'm on Win 7 and I have Win update turned off (I'll update when I want to thank you very much) and also disabled Win update from updating or installing any hardware drivers. It it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto with drivers.

One very simple thing to try is, after you turn your computer off, to remove and reseat the ram sticks a couple of times.
    That has solved problems I've had a few times in the past.

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Not the problem, I am a PC Techie and work on about 300-400 W10 PCs a year.
    WU is definitely advised to be on but this is of course up to you.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

No problems ceecee.
    Good luck with your problem.

A few years ago I built a new pc that just did not like to run games.
    Always crashed in game.
    Tried so much stuff, nvidia to AMD vid cards, mobo bios update, drivers after driver, ram and hdd changes, probably 10 fresh windows vista installs.
    I think the magic word here is Vista.:oops:
    I did come up with a solution: build a new pc solely for gaming and use the non game friendly one for the daily non gaming use.
    The old Core 2 duo pc is still going fine as the non gaming pc.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

If it happend right after rF2 update, then deleting the content of CBash and Shaders could indeed fix it. Try.

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Hi ADSTA,
    Yeah, I decided a dedicated Game PC was the answer some years ago, definitely the best option (but obviously one not available to everyone).
    After doing this now for 25 years I learnt that starting with the mobo, first check memory and CPU compatibility on the manufacturer site.
    This has worked for years now and I still have client PCs out there running still after 12 years (office PCs of course ! )
    No this CTD is only happening since a couple of weeks and this times in with the last rF2 update (easy to see as the PC is only started up on a Friday for our traditional F1 evening.
    But thanks all the same for your input :)

ADSTA likes this.
  6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks, next on my list now ! :)

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks guys for trying to help. Yeah im no noob either computer wise. No other sim, game or program CTD's or behave weirdly. So i have no idea what is going on. I will test reinstall it all. Just kept from it as i just gotten all the mods (cars and tracks) that has taken me days to find and download (phew). And it works sometimes and then randomly it CTD's out of the blue. Stock content or not.

There is another thing that has been happening as well. The screen can go black with sounds and FFB etc all running, and i think its a CTD about to happen but then *poff* im back in the sim (crashed in a wall of course). :D

About rF2 spotter, i know the options to turn it on. What i meant was that it "works" but it only tells me the lap times - nothing else. Im sure a reinstall will sort that one out. Weirdly of course is that i didnt install rF2 long ago to begin with. Its pretty darn fresh, and it CTD'ed from the get go without any mods.

I tested running in compability Win7 mode and so far it hasnt crashed. Havent tested enough yet though. I might test it a bit more before reinstalling to see if it has something to do with my PC+Win10. All our PC's are different (hardware+drivers) and sometimes things just wont work out for some. I usually never have issues with my PC and all my other sims and programs run great, and have done so for a long time (AC=several years, AMS=ca 1 year, Dirt Rally=ca 1 year).

I shall test some more. I do wish the dev's could check logs like Kunos can and give an idea of what could be wrong (maybe create a log system for the future, dev's?). But as usual, with some own fiddling and some help from the community i hope this will get sorted. :)

EDIT: There is no DX9 supplied in the redist folder. Only MS visual C++ which is already installed. EDIT2: Found it on ISI forum but it was cancelled due to having newer DX installed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Classic TDR. The OS doesn't hear from the video driver within the expected interval and resets it. Typically it'll come back locked at the 2D desktop GPU clock. Look in your Event Viewer, I'll bet you see entries related to the video driver being restarted.

It can be very time consuming trying to find the cause. If you Google "Windows video TDR" you'll find some tips... typically involving looking for other drivers interfering or ensuring you don't have multiple GPU monitoring application running. In my case it was rFactor 1 that always triggered it, locking the frame rate to less than 175 and disabling replays seemed to help, but I think it could've been my power supply as it had issues at extreme framerates (coil whine).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Where in event viewer would i find it? I just look under windows-applications and i find only the CTD's there. And when i come back i still run at 60FPS all looking good. Would be nice to find out though. Doesnt happen often (like my CTD's) but would be nice to figure out why rF2 for me is a bit of a mess.

EDIT: My GTX980 card is running very high on load in rF2 so maybe that is a reason for the TDR. It only runs in the 80-99% in other sims when i have TONS of AI, but in rF2 it runs high even when im alone.

10. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Should be in Windows Logs\System but I haven't had one since rebuilding this system so I can't check.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Cheers mate, let me check.

EDIT: Nothing there atm. I might have cleared it so i will test again and see if it happens.

12. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

13. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

That's not unusual. rF2 will drive your card heavily. Note that that is not usually a problem. My old 970 and new 1080 run well above 85% all the time in rF2 without problems.

It wouldn't hurt to log your GPU temps and run some laps in rF2 just to check that it's not throttling down. Your card shouldn't be getting much above 75 C if it's cooling properly.

14. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Havent had any BSOD's. rF2 just quits instantly to desktop with no errors. PC working fine afterwards. Well, not entirely true. Twice after a rF2 CTD (been many) my PC went down to "halved performance" sort of. rF2 crashed and i started Dirt Rally right after. Dirt ran at ~30FPS which was weird so i closed it down and started AMS which also ran around 30-40FPS. Wondered what the hell had happened and restarted my PC - all fine. But logs of crashes should help. I know i looked for logs before but it might be turned off. I will investigate. Thanks F1Fan07.

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Temps are fine. Got afterburner. Temps are just above 50C during AI race. 4 Noctuas pumping cold winter air through the case. :)