CTD's

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Alex72, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Not sure what is going on but i have CTD issues with rFactor 2. It can happen while driving, during selection of track or car (when clicking on a track or car it crashes sometimes), or when loading in the combo: just as it finishes loading it can crash.

I have Automobilista, Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally. None of them ever crashes on my PC and i never have issues with any of my other games/programs. I keep my PC running with minimum background programs. I still sometimes see the "pixel graphical glitch" as i wrote in another thread before. Maybe the CTD's are linked with this, dont know. I changed the "flag" thing for Nvidia and cleared the track cache, but it doesnt help much it seems.

Is there any log file created after a crash that i can give to you, developers? Thought maybe you can gain some info that way of what the issue could be. MP would be a big problem and i really wish this issue went away. Maybe it will be improved after DX11. Im cool with that, but maybe there is something that can be done now on my or your end. Like i mentioned - i have no issues with any sim's/games/programs other than rF2.

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

You may could have a look into the windows event viewer....

3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Forgot to mention two other things that happen.

One is that sometimes the screen goes black and it looks like a CTD, but then after 3-4 seconds im back in the car.

Second thing is that a few times after a rF2 CTD my whole computer seem to have lost performance. I loaded up rF2 after a CTD and it was running around 30FPS. Closed it down and started Dirt Rally and it was the same thing. Restarted my PC and all was good again. This has happened twice.

@Juergen-BY I guess, will see if i can make any sense of it. rF2 is the only problematic program on my PC.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yes, but you could maybe get to know, wich (maybe) e.g. plugin or whatsever is responsible for the CTD`s...

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Doesn´t sound good. Did you tested AC or dirt rally today/yesterday?

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yes. No problems with any other title. rF2 has been CTD'ing since i installed it. Really seems like the sim is messed up somehow. For me at least. Might try reinstalling it.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Windows-Application logs from event viewer. I dont know if i can find more info from it?

Last CTD:
    Faulting application name: rFactor2.exe, version: 1.1.0.8, time stamp: 0x5864171e
    Faulting module name: rFactor2.exe, version: 1.1.0.8, time stamp: 0x5864171e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000003034e0
    Faulting process id: 0x1a44
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d267cc48102011
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe
    Report Id: 3d4b2a4b-b186-4ed4-b6e4-9df7b4894080
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Previous CTD:
    Faulting application name: rFactor2.exe, version: 1.1.0.8, time stamp: 0x5864171e
    Faulting module name: rFactor2.exe, version: 1.1.0.8, time stamp: 0x5864171e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000005e98be
    Faulting process id: 0x16f4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d267c7b473ca24
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe
    Report Id: bfcb4d16-750a-4dd5-8acb-b2e7ac21340b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I will turn off spotter. Maybe its the cause. Obviously i should have tried turn off any 3d party plugin, but i just thought those most used are bulletproof. I use spotters in all other sims, but it might be the cause for some reason. Shall test some more.

EDIT: I see my first crash is right after i bought it. Dont think i had spotter then.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would uninstall all 3rd party plugins and trying again. Also deleting the player.json and refreshing the rf2 files through steam could help to solve your issues.

//Edit: i assume you`ve allready deleted all files in CBash and Shaders?

Alex72 likes this.
  10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I did delete the shaders before as Gijs told me and i added the "flags" thing in an INI file because i have Nvidia. I never deleted CBash files though. Im gonna try that. I did verify cache (1 file redownloaded).

I have TrackMap and Spotter plugins. What is weird though is that it can crash when i chose a car or track in the main menu. Even ISI content. Its completely random. So weird...

Gonna test remove CBash and player.JSON + try without any 3d party plugins.

Thanks for the help mate.

EDIT: Is there no LOG that developers can look at? Like Kunos can check logs and tell you what the issue is. Of course first i'll test what you mentioned. If the issue persists im gonna cry. :(

11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

So far so good. :) Have done a bunch of tests and no issues.

Smaller problem though, the stock spotter in rF2 seems to only mention lap times. Is that normal? Or should it say "car left" etc?

12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Had a CTD again loading in a combo. Just as the track is about to load in it CTD. No 3d party plugins this time. The sim worked for longer than usual which was nice, but ultimately same result.

I will have to wait for the DX11 update and see what it brings.

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I was thinking it may have something to do with DX9 as the other sims are DX11 if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm not at my pc to check.
    Have you tried running the stuff in the Redist (I think it's called) folder?

Unstall and install new vid card drivers might help.

Alex72 likes this.
  14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Wich track? About the stock spotter, should be set somewhere in the audio settings

//Edit: pic added

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Jup, maybe a fresh DX9 install can do the trick! Someone has a link for him?

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

There are allways all versions included, no need to do an extra install of DX9.

//Edit: to write it more specific: DX11 is downward compatible to DX9.

You can check your actual DX installation with typing dxdiag in the run field.

17. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Last night my game CTD at least 8 times during a 6 hour DEDI session. (never had this problem before, PC fully updated)
    My online partner had no problems.
    There is no Windows Logs to be found about it (which is very strange).
    A mention is made of emptying CBash and Shaders, which folders are these ?
    DX9 is fully installed (SOP here), TrackMap, Motec Plugin installed and no Spotter is audible.
    Where in rF2 is the game log files to search for crash data ?
    specs : i7-920, 12GB DDR3, 750GB Crucial MX300, R9 290, W10Pro-64bit
    track ACBarcelona, Mod : HJK OW2016 modified with SP and LE physics sets version 1.2
    DEDI server, 2 clients, 20 AI

18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

The files to be deleted are here: SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/rFactor 2/UserData/Log/CBash and Shaders.
    But maybe it is a mod-thing. What happens if you run stock-content?

19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

As far as I know rF doesn't produce a crash log.
    With Steam games the first thing to do is Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

When trouble shooting these problems a clean rF install is a good idea.
    In rF1 days multiple installs were very easy, with rF2 it is possible and someone made a thread about it here recently but I haven't tried it,
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....installs-on-steam-tutorial.54092/#post-873061

The idea is no 3rd party plugins or programs, no 3rd party mods just one ISI / S397 car and track, preferably newest releases.
    Revert any CPU or GPU overclocks to stock.
    Try different games, if only rF crashes it is most likely rF software problem.

20. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the reply, Mod and track has been in use now for some weeks without any problems.
    My online partner has no problems ( I just finished his i7-6700K 16GB DDR4 PC a couple of weeks ago)
    PC is only for Friday night game and nothing changed but this seems to be happening since the last rF2 update.
    I am now running DDU and reinstalling AMD drivers.
    rF2 Installation is recent when upgraded SSD, problem is occurring since last week.