AI pitting early in wet races + other rain issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoboCAT10, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I am using the FISIR2012 car set - with the latest update of them. I have been racing at tracks such as Estoril and Sao Paulo - both ISI made.

I notice that the AI will start on wet tyres (which is fine as the track is soaking wet) but will stop again every 5 or so laps (even after 1 in some cases) to take on a set of 'fresh' wet tyres. I have checked the TBC files and have seen that the wear on the front and rear tyres is pretty good - much better than the Super Soft, and a little better than the hard tyres. I have tyre wear on 'normal' but have also played with the all the other settings (limiter, aggression, real road etc), I get the same result, unfortunately. The lap number and drivers pitting are random each time this problem occurs.

Another issue with Sao Paulo in particular is that when the AI come to enter the pits they will spin out and hit the wall. Here is a gif of what I am tying to explain: https://gyazo.com/89c67dd4f47f7b196eb5cc1fad243a2c

Estoril had a big problem in the rain, in that they would always spin on every lap at the same corner. While spinning in the rain is what you would expect; when it's every lap without fail becomes silly. I only use the FISIR2012 cars so I can't speak for the other mods out there - but generally the AI racing is very good. I'm just saddened of how awful they are in the rain. They are generally poor at most tracks - including ISI made and third party. This ruins any chance of competitive offline racing in the wet.

I'm attempting to simulate the final AI race for my forum championship - held at Brazil in the wet as that is what the forecasts show. I could very well run the race in the dry but I am reluctant to do that. So right now I am stuck.

What I would like is a solution to the issues I have made in this post. Am I the only one who is having these problems? Is there something I'm missing that could fix this? I would somewhat understand the problems if it is a third party car on a third party track - but it's not. I would appreciate any help or advice out there to try and solve this problem.

Thanks.

2. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I just did some extra testing at other circuits - third party and ISI. The same problem pursues., so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the track itself. Really stumped here.:confused:

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

the carnage looks very similar to the real F1 race that was run last month. Just a little too much though. Good luck finding the solution. You might want to see if the mod team has a web site or forum.

4. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Both are ISI made so hopefully I can find an answer here :-D

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

For the spinout problem: Maybe the track is too wet? Nevertheless assign a rain-setup with more wing to them.

The pitstop-problem is new to me. Never had that (with other cars) but never tried with the FISI.
    So could indeed be a mod-problem.

6. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

AI + rain is often problematic in rF2 unfortunately... I am seeing a bit different problem in two mods. Does anyone know:
    * how to make mod vehicles start with wet tires if track is wet? What needs to be changed?
    * how to prevent all cars pitting at once if rain starts? I vaguely recall thing called pit groups, but not familiar with it.

I hope we can learn how to fix that from someone who knows :)

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Well, they should atomaticly start on wet´s when it is wet. However there are several reports that this isn´t the case everytime.
    As also for the second question, I fear there is nothing you can do about it, as one particular feature that worked
    in rF1, doesn´t work in rF2 anymore.

8. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I tested this again but took tyre wear off. I found the cars did not pit every 5 or so laps - so clearly tyre wear is the problem here. Although a few drivers did still pit after lap one - some for fresh wets, and couple of others who went for inters but had to stop a lap later to change back to wets.

Tyre wear is the problem but I have no idea how to fix this. I've tried changing the tyre wear in the TBC files but this does nothing. :(

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I haven't even peeked at any of the rf2 files, but there may be two tire wear settings, one for you and another line controlling ai wear.
    Good luck

10. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

The things is that when I edit the other tyres wear it effects on track. So in the tbc file I make the hard tyres wear fast - that works successfully in game. I change the other compounds wear rate and it works fine. But the wet tyres it doesn't work.

I have even tried copying the hard tyre settings to replace the wet tyre settings in the tbc file. So it doesn't matter which tyre the AI is on - if it's wet then they will pit every 5 or so laps...

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This made me remember when GTR2 would choose tires for you, was very usefull as when it rained was hard to know the track conditions

12. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

After editing and testing with the tbc file - it seems it has nothing to do with the tbc file. I have also tried wet races with the FISI car set (the ones I haven't changed files for) and they too pit every few laps for new wet tyres.

So it has something to do with tyre wear. Has nothing to do with the tbc file. Has nothing to do with the specific track. I'm stuck.

13. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Anyone have anything else on this?

14. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I just tried a couple of wet races with the USF2000 and they would all pit at the end of the first lap to take on more wet tyres. I tried both a scripted drying track and a simple wet race. Happened at both Oulton Park & Lime Rock. I believe tyre wear was set to normal.

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

When you want to have a wet race, it's usually a good idea to make the entire weekend wet, set practice and/or qualifying to rain too, set real road to carry over between sessions.

I only see AI wet weather tire confusion if I disable practice and qualy and jump straight into a wet race.

TonyRickard and Juergen-BY like this.
  16. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I just tried with all this taken into account. Still the same problem occurs, the AI pitting every 1 to 4 laps for a new set of wet tyres.

If the same problem is happening with the USF2000 cars there must be something wrong with the actual game. It seems every track I test this on the same issues arises. :(

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have not had this issue in a very long time, and it never happens if I run a complete wet weekend. I haven't read the entire thread, but have you tried starting fresh with a new player json?

18. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I don't know how to do that without losing my mods and tracks?

19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Just delete the Player.JSON
    Will be created after next start.
    If you cant remember your settings, make a copy before and write in the differences.

hexagramme likes this.
  20. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Tried with a fresh Player.JSON, wet practice, qualy & race and some of the AI still pit at the end of lap 1 for new wets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.