Shader Updates, Damage Model, Do I bother processing my models yet?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Carr, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Carr

Carr Registered

Hi all,

I have been working with some guys converting our rF1 mod to rF2 but have been trying to work out what direction to take with shaders. We are currently using the shader which allows for the scratched paint on the test cars I have already processed, but don't like some of the limitations it presents in reflectivity as compared to a Bump, Cube, Spec with alpha reflect for example.

With the news of updating to DX11 and the possibility of using a whole new shader pack, what direction is it best to take?
    Will the future implemented damage model still include scratched paint in the same way as currently intended?
    What will be the difference between the DX9 and DX11 shaders? I understand that they are trying to make it backwards compatible, but what improvements will the new shaders have and is it worth further delaying the mod so we don't have to re-process the whole thing again?

I understand that S397 have taken over an incomplete game but don't seem to be looking at the missing parts as opposed to the parts that just aren't up to date with the others on the market. I haven't been motivated to work on the mod due to the uncertainty over what is actually happening and needing to potentially redo all of the models to best optimise the mod within a short period. I have read multiple times that S397 is wanting to work with moders to try and bring the game forward, but the plans for these simple details, which will impact every mod both existing and future, still have not been addressed.

To add to this, what is happening with the tire model? Are the proposed changes going ahead, will there be a middle ground?

S397, please provide some details as to what is happening with the progression of rF2 so that us modders can have an understanding of what we are needing to do to get our content working within your game in an efficient and optimal way. Yes the interface need improving, yes some of the physics need adjusting, but more-so, the game needs finishing. Not to the point where it doesn't need more work, but to the point that a functional implementation of all features exist and can be improved with future patches. I know a strong foundation is required to be able to implement everything that is on the development list and improvements need to be made to the current foundation to make sure that future overhauls are not required, but there seems to be no attention to trying to finish the game within any of the announcements made so far.

I know I might sound like a complaining little bitch, but I am just another modder who doesn't want to have to re-work their mod 5 times because something changes that wasn't announced which potentially improves their mod.

Any information that can be provided will be appreciated.

Ernie likes this.
  2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'm pretty sure that the info you request will be answered shortly after todays updates (counting weeks) - I'd not imagine a "middle ground" tyre model to be an option.

3. Carr

Carr Registered

So no information from S397 on this? I thought that they were trying to work with modders to improve content, can't say I have seen any sign of this really. Not trying to put anyone off-side but am getting frustrated and tired of the uncertainty of what is happening with the foundation of the game engine development and what direction to take with making the mod.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

AFAIK you will be able to use the same shaders for DX11, the roadmaps indicated that everything would be backwards compatible. Some of the current shaders would admittedly need a refreshing, the carbody shader for instance looks quite dated. Anyway, I'm sure there will be more info closer to release, Q1 2017 is still possibly 3 months away.

5. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

So still no answer regarding this from S397. Wizper, there was talk of a change to the tyre model when the partnership with S397 was made. As a member of Carr's modding group working on the tyre model, I am very interested to know what is happening here. Stonec, of course content will be backwards compatible. Otherwise the wait for DX12 build would be longer due to 1st party content having to be updated before build release. And they would also need to get this info out to 3rd party and community content creators before update, or put up with broken mods galore and the complaints to go with it.
    Now in relation to our unreleased project, do we spend the time getting shaders, tyre model etc right, only to turn around in Q1 2017 to update shaders to take advantage of DX12 and any other changes they choose to make. I can't vouch for Carr's time on the project but it far eclipses my time, and on the tyre alone I would have spent well over 100 hours(not including time running ttool) trying to get the characteristics we require. I would have had more time if not for health issues and the lack of clear direction of S397.
    Stonec, you are right Q1 2017 is around 3 months away and from their roadmap S397 is ahead of schedule. Surely they have been testing shaders etc. Surely if the tyre model is going to change, they have experimented with that. I am not expecting things to be locked down, but info on progress would be nice. That way if things are going to change dev group like ourselves can direct attention away from the component that is to change onto something else.
    S397 told us that they would communicate more with the community, and yes they may be communicating more frequently, but they are not really saying much. The dev blog has not seen an update since October which you have to go to ISI site to find out, as the tyre blogs are not on S397 page. Yet the rest of the earlier part of the blog has been moved here(to News section....it needs its own section) . Is there a reason why the tyre info has not moved. Is it because there may be a change or did the guy migrating just stuff up.
    Now it would be nice to see a reply to this from Marcel, as it seems anything official is coming from him.

6. Carr

Carr Registered

Please note, he meant DX11 not DX12 .

7. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Thanks Carr, I was reading an unrelated story regarding DX12 before this.

8. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

We are not yet at a point where we have a definitive list of new shaders to share with you. When we do, we will invite modders to get in touch to work with them directly. What I can say right now is that we will keep supporting the current list of shaders to remain backward compatibility with the existing content. That does not help you much in terms of preparing to leverage DX11 though. So please be patient for a bit longer, we are trying to share information as soon as possible, but it would not make sense to share things that are still changing as that would only cost you extra work.

CrossPly, alpha-bravo, gpfan and 2 others like this.
  9. Carr

Carr Registered

I appreciate the the current situation Marcel but it would be nice to know what is happening with things like damage and rain effects and so forth. If the current system is changing then I would use a different shader to allow more versatile designs for skins. I am not expecting a list of shaders that can be used with the new DX11 update as you said, it still isn't finalised so it is pointless, but things like damage model and rain have been left out of the roadmaps and no information has been provided about them for a long time. If things like that are not going to be address for some time, it would be nice to know so we can optimise for what is currently available.

I know that this would be a busy time a S397 with the lots of things being planned and worked out after the merger and am excited for what is coming in the future. A more comprehensive roadmap which includes more info on the base engine updates and feature integration would be appreciated once things settle down a bit. It has felt for some time that feature development has been a bit neglected and would be great to know what is being planned.

10. yoss

yoss Registered

happy to read this kind of comment:)

11. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

@Carr we will share information as soon as we can be sure of our implementation. Right now there simply is nothing I can tell you without the risk of it changing again. As a general advice, keep your source models as generic as possible for now, which will help you adapt. If everything goes according to plan, by the end of Q1 you will know.

If things in our current roadmaps are not specific, it's because we have not decided on such specifics yet. Not because we are keeping them to ourselves.

12. Carr

Carr Registered

@Marcel Offermans No worries at all. At least I know now that there is no direction planned so I can make allowances for that in the processing of the models. It has been frustrating at times with not much information being provided to us with development and trying to create content. I appreciate the reply and look forward to seeing what is to come.

Marcel Offermans likes this.