More entertaining FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korva7, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I was wondering wheter it would be possible in theory to have somekind of adjustment for exaggerating certain ffb effects or vibrations on rf2 to make the ffb feel more entertaining?

To my understanding it is not possible to have adjustment for certain ffb effects, like in ac, because the ffb comes straight from the physics. Would it be possible then to adjust some physics based thing so that it would give more stuff to be felt in ffb, but not change the behavior of the car (other than front tires jiggling more because of wheel vibrating more with the ffb).

Maybe modders can say something to this.

I was thinking this because the ffb feels a bit boring with some cars.
    Also this would make ffb feel more impressive for those who thinks that rf2 ffb feels too vague.

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Just to clarify, i was thinking about increasing (ffb vibrations and bumps) compared to (constant forces)

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, that thing you said right there is very difficult to achieve. Because the FFB is physics-based, a different effect in FFB can only reflect a difference in how the car is reacting.

Now having said that, if you play with some of the settings in the controller.ini you might be able to 'shape' the FFB in a way that feels better to you, like perhaps a higher STS to boost lower forces and then use a lower FFB multiplier in the game so all the forces aren't too strong. I don't know how current the various damping options are but they might influence it as well.

Unfortunately for most of us, stuck with just an FFB wheel, the fact that the wheel doesn't provide all that much feedback in real life can make its realism in rF2 seem a bit boring. But can't blame ISI for that, they went a different way in rF1 and seems most of the user feedback (and eventual popular plugins) suggested a direct model was the preferred option.

Korva7 and Associat0r like this.
  4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

It is the designers choice as Lazza said.

You can simulate a hole car in ffb if you want. Whenever a bolt is loose your wheel would shake in some way...

Or you use the ffb that you actually get from a steeringwheel alone.

Korva7 likes this.
  5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yea, apparently that's how it is. To do it, there would need to be difference between the physics that calculates ffb and the physics for car behavior, and i guess that would be a mess. Car physics and ffb would end up living their own lifes.

I haven't found much benefit from fiddling with those settings. Damping is something that i adjust quite often for other reasons.

Yes, i probably wouldn't want any other forces to be felt in ffb than the real car's steering forces.
    I would just want to exaggerate somethings that's already there, but i guess that's a bit too problematic.
    Somekind of ffb EQ might do the job, but i don't know if it was possible execute something like that without additional delays, or at all.

6. Joe

Joe Registered

I have the simxperince accuforce wheel. Their SW (Commander 4) allows you to add Eng rpm vibration effect, and road surface texture, suspension bounce effects etc on ffb. Basically, artificially enhanced.. ..
    Pretty flexiable indeed.

7. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

That is a good description. I always found AC felt more "alive" FFB wise with my old G25 than others. Yet now with an OSW rF2 and iRacing feel much more like a real steering mechanism. Buying an OSW shouldn't be a prerequisite though!

It is a bit like a loudness button listening to music at low levels, by design the G25/7/9 are limited to low levels.

Korva7 likes this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I would have liked a surface option where when you go off track the FFB drops to 50% strength. When in practice i slide off a track i throw myself at the ESC button since my wheel shake and rattle like its about to explode lol. :D

9. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

There's this variable in controller configs which says that's what it does... But I don't think it's working, it definitely doesn't feel like it's working. :p Would be nice to have it though!

Code:
        "Off-road multiplier":0.3,
        "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",

Alex72 likes this.
  10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

That depends on track modding and it can be adjusted accordingly. The grip is already lower in grass but it has more bumpiness which produces the vibration in the wheel.

Alex72 likes this.