Roadmap December Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Dec 17, 2016.

1. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

CV1 here to make it a full house :)

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Regarding the new UI, which looks great to me, will it affect modders in any way?
    That they need to rebuild previews or some other stuff to match the UI standard?
    Also, is that the car 3d spinner or just an image of the car?

3. felirrari

felirrari Registered

I think this is THE problem. Sometimes we are ready to race but spend so much time searching for a compatible race, and then when we finally find, it is full of AI.

Guimengo and patrickkluiters like this.
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The only way to solve that is to make a title popular enough that various forms and types of online races can be supported. Chicken and egg. S397 is wisely starting with what's necessary, which is to make rF2 compelling enough that lots of people will want to buy it. Those of us hanging around here with our years of endless conversations about these things don't comprise a community large enough for anyone to bother doing anything online. That's why there are only a few hardcore leagues out there and not much else.

To all: If you want a variety of good quality online racing options for rF2, we have to help get the sim to a point where an average sim racing purchaser would want to own and use rF2. It ain't there now and hasn't been close in its entire existence. All the changes S397 are proposing are headed in the right direction in my opinion. But they will take time and aren't free. I suggest we all get used to that, or the alternative is to have no title at all. That would be a sad day in the sim racing world if we lose the premier gMotor-based title. Saving rF2 will be a lot harder than letting it die, so I for one have been in here for five years poking and prodding for higher quality and bought a second license just to throw some extra cash to ISI for their efforts since on a per hour of use basis, rF2 was ridiculously cheap for me. I will also happily support S397 and independent developers of high quality DLC. Why wouldn't I? As MarcG pointed out above, what's the point of all the expensive hardware I've invested in if I can't access the best possible software to take advantage of it? That sure isn't AC or PCars. AMS is fantastic, but it is not at the same level as rF2 in actual sim fidelity terms. And iRacing costs us far more than rF2 on an ongoing basis. What else is there? R3E? We don't have a lot of options here, so I'd all ask ourselves what are we doing to support the devs of our favourite software so they can not just survive, but prosper? Of do we expect them to do all this work as a charity on our behalf?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    bluet, tpw, bwana and 4 others like this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Making a central place where all our data is stored (like Live Racers but with an online ID so things won't change if u change ur nickname) together with a safety rating maybe would help to have open servers more.
    I can talk for the forum I race with: many many times we wanted to have an open server during a test race and we just don't do because of the chance of getting trolls into the race so it's worth more to race with only 8 people that we know than a carnage with 20 we don't.
    It would also help everyone after all, we wanted to make pro-am GT leagues but we don't know how fast a new guy in the forum can be, VEC wouldn't need to make a series to give people liceneses to be allowed to race (maybe), etc.

*I'm aware this can be an obstacle to new guys to get their safety rating higher, but there could be alternatives anyway maybe from the own community

6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I hope they will acquire Race2Play...
    ...I will call it rF2Play...
    ...multy free for all both on rF2 and rF2Play...
    ...but premium account will be needed for all the rF2Play features...
    ...which will be free for lifetime subscribers...
    ...and with a monthly fee for the others...
    ...justice done and pace restored!

(I am sarcastic except for the Race2Play acquisition...Luminis can set a real iRacing contender with R2P tools...)

7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

ok here's what i think.

#1 physics.
    as much as i am for hard core realism, still i would say: dont overcomplicate it if you dont have to.
    like the cpm mess isi made. overcomplicated everything on every mod, just to get the tires to work on ovals on high vertical loads.
    hope you learned something from this...

#2 the graphics
    motion blur and depth of field should be last on the list of graphical overhaul imo. we play to race, not to watch replays, even tough we enjoy watching them occasionaly. just get the regular stuff that we see from the cockpit, lighting, shaders etc done.
    mb and dof can wait until the racing experience is in it's full glory.

#3 content
    also as mentioned before, single cars... when it's an iconic piece of engineering from the past, YES.
    if not, then multicar mods is what this game needs, not another vette without opponents, as much as i like the corvettes in all sims. and even, when knowing it's gonna be a good one, still a NO to this approach.

#4 promises never delivered. i know your are not responsiple for promises made by ISI but those were promised because they were wanted. like:
    tranny model, (anything really, like in ams, not high fidelity but it does it's job untill we get something better).
    rain drops and other weather related stuff.
    etc.

#5 VR! no need to say anything more cause i know you are on it.

#6 free online, i could have done with subscription renewals, buy hey ill take it for free :) thanks for that!

#7 last but not least
    DIRT. we need some sideways action to the game , and to hear that gravel hitting the bottom of the car, and jumps! now who woudn't love that? ;)

Ernie, TIG_green, bluet and 1 other person like this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I keep seeing "ISI promised" and "we were promised this and that", I don't recall ISI ever making promises, ever! Now I maybe wrong so if someone could enlighten me that'd be great, thanks :)

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

trannymodel WAS promised within 6 months on Howston H4&H6 release. not that it matters really.
    tranny model is in every competition title, so it really is a "must be done" thing and not just elitism like raindrops maybe... alltough i would like to have it aswell.

Matej Lakota and Guimengo like this.
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Exactly... It is like it became set in stone once someone started saying "ISI said we would have this", "ISI said it would have that"... no... your expectations said that, they promised you nothing.

Perhaps a few of you need to get down from your high horses for a little bit and maybe refrain from barking orders?
    "I want this", "I want that"... tiny bit rude to demand. Those who want, never get. You perhaps WOULD LIKE some of these things?

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

Agree that it's features that are not really needed. DOF maybe is something nice for replays, cannot see any use of it when driving in cockpit view. Motion blur can't see any use at all. What I much rather see is some work on the sky/weather, it's not so nice when 90% of the screenshots show an empty sky with no clouds and the sky often covers 50% of the screen. Also the dynamic cloud system is the same since day one, it covers the bare minimum of different cloud types, which often ends up looking 2D. Fog should be more dynamic as well instead of using the same hardcoded values as it is now. Things like this make a bigger difference to graphics IMO.

Ernie, Nitrometh, bwana and 2 others like this.
  12. elbo

elbo Registered

where to play? My feeling on this is kind of split. I played nothing but ISI until recently, and I thought "man I wish there were more people adn servers around"...then I got a CV1...switched over to AC and was pleasantly surprised by the game. AC is good but not RF2 good. I haven't touched RF2 since but only because of the VR support. I just don't get the connection to the road in AC that I had with RF2. The servers are much more populated but the 15+ player servers all have the same scenario, the guys up front get by the first turn but anything passed third row is a gamble. Invariably someone (or several people) from the back rows comes barreling through and there is a big first corner crash...then swearing and calling out names...then voting to start the race over...then a bunch of people dropping out...you can almost set your watch by it.
    Thinking back, the RF2 servers were sparsely populated but A-holes seemed to be few and far between which made for fun and challenging races when you found them.
    I can't wait to pick up the new VR version of RF2 and look forward to playing it again some day.
    I was a lifetime owner off the get go. I don't mind paying for the new iteration of the game. Like some mentioned, we spend so much money on gear to play, the actual software is an almost negligible expense.

bluet likes this.
  13. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

about isi promises, check the old howston thread if that promising thing bothers you that much.

"I want this", "I want that"... tiny bit rude to demand. blaa blaa bla blaa..."

like i said in the beginning of my first post "here's what i think".
    what i think is what i wrote. if you took it as giving orders, it's your problem.

and i dont even really care if rf2 rises from the ashes or not, it would be awesome if it does but it needs direction to do so.
    what we have seen from the past, the direction the dev team thinks is the right is not allways it. that's why we are here now :D.
    i've been sim racing for +20 years and i have seen stuff to remember and stuff to forget aswell, i would be happy to put rf2 to the first gategory but im as happy to forget it aswell. it's just a game. new ones will come. how i remember this game in 10 years is open i guess...

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I find it curious about this "rF2 is dead" thing people keep throwing about. It died? When was this exactly? Did no one give the memo to the over-subscribed pretty popular VEC and many other leagues out there?

One thing that does spring to mind is, if the UI is going to become web-based... how about having a league directory that can be updated by users and viewable in game. A basic details like, league name, country, how many times a week races are scheduled, league website and maybe a couple of sentences about the league.

@Kelju_K All I asked for is a source for your promise claim... I am not that worried about it to bother trawling through threads to find it. Just amuses me when people say "but they promised!" but never back it up with actual proof hahaha.

pkelly likes this.
  15. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

People look at the online population and has nobody there compare has Iracing, people want "serious" race!
    The free access is not going to fill the on-line if there is nothing organized above ams onlmine free > desert, r3e on-line free > desert Studio397 should take care of the on-line and "the copy" Iracing if he wants that it works
    sorry for my trad english o_O

16. Emery

Emery Registered

An AC multiplayer user will find rF2 dead by comparison, with only 1/10th the active players. R3E is about equally dead to an AC multiplayer and AMS even more so. And that's in timezones that are friendly to online play... switch to North American evening times and ONLY AC has more than a dozen open sessions with players; AC still has a hundred open servers with players at that time.

The online "death" of rF2 began about 3 years ago, but nobody pulled the life support yet, so it isn't technically deceased. I'm here for the duration, however!

Kelju_K likes this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well show us proof then, you're adamant ISI promised something in that thread so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find, thanks :)

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  18. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

right. no promises were ever made. happy? can you leave it now. so peeps can get back to topic, yeah??

19. bwana

bwana Registered

l don't do replays and only save in low res incase l need for racing protests judiciary. Priorities for drivers not spectators please..

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It's very interesting how defensive people will get when a dev even so much as mentions some eye candy and post FX. It's like they just stole your lunch or something. Things are allowed to look nice ya know! HAHA!

Also... you do know that the gfx department is still different to the guys that code physics right? :D