F1 2001 Conversion WIP

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Daniel Surace, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Hi All,

Over the last few weeks i have been working on converting the 2001 mod from Rfactor made by RMT/WCP. I have done this as a learning exercise. I have seen many guides on converting content and thought id give it a go.

This has started off as personal use, but i do have permission from the author. However i do not know at this stage whether i want to release or continue privately. I am not a 3d modeler or skinner but have a basic understanding of how things are put together.

Currently, this is a WIP i have changed most car body shaders to RF2 standards, but still some way to go in tidying up. I have added heat haze from some common mods use in RF2, ill have to source permission for those if needed?

I have also converted physics from F1 challenges 2001 season and used http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/ to convert physics across with some minor adjustments needed to get them working correctly to my knowledge. I do not know the limitations of using them, but the results seem plausible and enjoyable. there are a few values that probably needed adding in and tweaking and some i have. but open for any feedback.

I have also used the 2012 CPM tires from the marussia and scaled wear and grip slightly to try reflect 2001 times. Still a bit of work needed to get other compounds working.

i will continue to work on this and see if i can tidy as much up as possible.

WCP done a great Job on this mod so i thought id would be nice to see some form of it in RF2.

Cheers. GRAB_223.JPG GRAB_294.JPG GRAB_272.JPG GRAB_264.JPG

haunetal1990, Lgel, SRGP and 7 others like this.
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Wow, that looks awesome! I would be very interested in this!

Daniel Surace likes this.
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

They look like originally GP4 cars, which is a great thing! Looking forward to your progress. A couple of guys from that time went on to be professional 3D artists :cool:.

Gerard Tillman and F1Aussie like this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

5. Araripe

Araripe Registered

Looks awesome! Keep it up!

F1Aussie and Guimengo like this.
  6. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Looking good!

F1Aussie likes this.
  7. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Thanks Guys,
    Guimengo Yeah some look like they are GP4 models and they are brilliant. and i can tell by some of the textures. some textures are a bit low res which i hope over time i can maybe replace with something but overall things are good.

Woodee That is the guide i refer to it is very helpful, i probably need to watch it over again as i havent watched it all entirely.
    I do have a problem with getting skins working for different tracks. as this mod has several track skins and im not quiet sure how that works in RF2?. I still need to work on getting things packaged better. but that will be at a later stage. Sometimes i wish RF2 scraped the whole package system and left it as RF1, it just worked so much easier.

I do hope to continue working on this and maybe release it for people to find some bugs as the more eyes the better.
    there is definetely alot of bugs floating around. If any one can suggest good shaders for cockpit lights and displays.that be great. i currently switched a few to t1 to get things showing up right. but if there are any better shaders im open to hear.

Cheers.

hexagramme and Woodee like this.
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think the 1988 F1 mod had track specific upgrades? Unless I am thinking of a similar mod.

9. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Yeah, sorry i should have rephrased, i mean different skins for different tracks. eg. selecting Benetton, should have a choice between different skins. for driver 7 and driver 8. i know there is a way to add "alt" in front of it and copy to user settings but wondering if there is a way to package.

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Oh wow. Very interested in the development of this. I hope it can be released for public use one day with permissions. :)

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too. :)

Daniel Surace and Ho3n3r like this.
  12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If you are packaging up you don't need alt in the names. You just need to name the skins and put them in the vehicle file.

13. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

I was able to get it working by using alternate names for for man skin, eg. Benetton_08.dds main skin. Benetton_08Alt01.DDS Benetton_08alt01Wing.dds.

However as you say i think there is a way in the VEH. I know there is default livery, and track livery but nothing seems to work using this method.

DefaultLivery="Arrows_14\Arrows_14.DDS" //default livery loads correctly.
    TrackLivery="01Arrows_Brazil.dds" // have tried with track name "Brazil" but i think that points to specific GDB files.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I'll have to try and find the mod that I know does track specific stuff.... it might be the ASR 92 mod, I can't remember now.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I wonder if in that case, the character limit comes into effect? What if you try "1Arrows_BR.dds"?

16. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

hmm im not quiet sure. I can see in log file, when it fails to load skins due to long characters but in this case its not as I've tried fewer letters.

I think it has to have same prefix as the default livery. arrows_14 that seems to be essential to differentiate which teammate to apply it to. then i can only assume the alt specifies its alternate to that cars livery. but jeez that's a lot of renaming to do. (even batching that is a pain)

I could be completely wrong though haha. My only frustration is, if i leave it in the moddev and leave it with rfactor 1 directory structure, "arrows/arrow_14/" it knows that this is the place for car skins and chooses for that VEH. but there is no way when packaging to keep this kinda of structure??

17. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

Hi Guys,

Ive had a bit of a break with this due to the Christmas holidays etc.

I have become stuck on an issue with steering. F1 challenge didn't define steering degrees in the HDV so i believe it was hardcoded to something like 270Deg due to hardware limitations at the time. So i have tried to base my steering of figures used for the 2012 marussia. which roughly is 450DEG lock 18* However i'm still finding the steering not quiet right. The AI seem to always want to use full lock at corners and even overshoot the first few laps for some odd reason. I am using the 3PA suzuka released by ISI. All other mods seem fine around there. So does this rule out an AIW problem? If so is this a steering issue or something with AI settings in HDV? I have become a bit stuck. Ive tried using the old method from Rfactor 1 and new steering settings for RF2 but still seems a bit off.

18. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

didnt read the whole thread, do you use ISI spreadsheet?
    Are you willing to share the mod files so we can help?

19. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

hey mate,
    I did look at the spreadsheet but I'd need to enter every value manually to get anything out of it.but glancing over the spreadsheet the steering looks similar to what I have. I have been using an online tool posted above that creates steering system for rfactor 2 using uploaded hdv and suspension. However even with RF1 system the results r similar.

I am considering releasing as a beta or Sharing with some members that would like to help out after the New Year. I could also paste whole hdv if that helps?

20. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

HDV will do and also .pm file is needed or chassis.ini if it has the same suspension points as pm has.