Released USF2000 2016 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Nov 23, 2016.

1. RoWo

RoWo Member

There is a little graphical issue with the mirrors on swingman view. The picture in the mirror is vertical mirrored.

[​IMG]

2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I don't think there is actually a mirror in that view? My understanding is that the concave nature of the housing itself (the surface behind where the mirror should be) is inverting the reflected image.

3. RoWo

RoWo Member

Ok, from this point of view you could be right.
    So there is no issue. :)

4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Downloaded the mod through workshop subscription. Mod shows installed in Launcher. No Cars are shown in select vehicle window? Any ideas on how to fix this? I am not able to uninstall.

Having downloaded an F2000 server track for online play, I seem to have access to the cars for online play.

However I still do not have access to the cars for offline play? I get F2000 folder in vehicle select, but no individual car content?

Still looking for suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/usf2000-2016-now-available.53703/page-3#post-867001

Old fashioned way - problem solved.

Guimengo likes this.
  6. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks Bjørn. I was going to try that next. I guess I assumed the workshop download would cover both on and off-line. I wonder why it doesn't?

Cheers

7. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, I'll have to admit that in salivating over how great this car is I failed to pay attention to the whole Mike Peters 3PA aspect of the back story.

It appears to be presented as a Studio 397 car...is that correct? It's in the end not 3PA?

Is the stellar quality the result of the data provided by the John Cummiskey Racing team or Studio 397's magic? I know it's both, but many of us have commented with glee that this car feels a lot like the wonderfully natural and authentic cars in Reiza's AMS, which presumably were influenced by Luminis (at least in our wishful thinking).

So I for one would like to know if this USF2000 really is a sign of things to come, or rather just the result of a great car-building simulation exercise that could have just as easily occurred prior to Studio 397's involvement, had the stars aligned or timing worked out. I hope a 397'er will weigh-in with some insight.

Honestly, my main delight with the USF2000 was the prospect that all the other ISI cars could be re-made so they had the same natural and authentic FFB and handling that this car proves is very possible in rF2.

9. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I don't really get what you're asking?

10. Arne Senna

Arne Senna Registered

all the other ISI cars could be re-made so they had the same natural and authentic FFB and handling that this car proves is very possible in rF2. (?)
    Is that a realistic wish you think?
    Can this super-natural FFB feeling be transfered too older ISI cars?
    Fingers crossed :)
    Thanks for this great car and all the work done so far.

Christopher Elliott likes this.
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Apparently Arne does in the post above.

Basically, is the USF2000 the first in a series of "new generation" car/physics modelling from S397, or, is it just the one-off fruit of a lucky and skilful combination of Mike Peters, the high quality data from the team, lots of sweat and homework, etc.?

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

So you don't like the FFB of say... the Megane or even some old stuff like the F3's? Feels pretty natural and intuitive to me...

13. pkelly

pkelly Registered

After some amazing fun last night, in the USF2000, I had similar thoughts to Marc's. While other ISI cars still feel quite authentic, as Bjorn suggests, waving that new (physics?) magic wand over other mods would be a delightful surprise.
    Will the rF2 update in early 2017 be so blessed?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I just see it as the general evolution of the game, it's well known that it's a constantly developing title so over time physics/ffb/graphics/tires all steadily get improved. At some point the older content will seem different due to the advances in recent technology and understanding from the development team. The same can be said for many other racing titles we all enjoy, embrace it, it's great :)

15. Arne Senna

Arne Senna Registered

Good 4 you Bjørn ;) I never said i hate the ffb of other cars, RF2 has the best in the biz!
    It`s just a question of improvents.(If you are satisfied you can never get better right?)
    But are you seriously saying you can`t feel a difference in the FFB off the USF vs others?

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

To open wheelers, yes perhaps.

But I don't feel much difference between the communication sent to me from the EVE F3 and the USF2000. They're both great.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Dont wanna be the bad guy, but the main different i can see, compared to e.g. the Spark F1, is a more than double higher tire grip (basic grip & slide grip)...If you would set this back to the values of the e.g. Spark, would be result into the nearly same (old) car behavior. By the way, the tire grip of the USF is much higher, than the tire grip of the Renault 3.5, too.

//Edit: just want to add: and it doesnt feels wrong to me. I dont know, why a lot of people thinking, that race cars must have a very little downforce and a very little tire grip.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  18. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

According to the data we have, these are about the most load sensitive tyres in existence. In other words, they may have a high peak grip coefficient, but it does fall-off rather quickly as you increase the load on them. Trust me, at higher loads, the FR3.5 tyres do give more grip.

peterchen, TJones and Juergen-BY like this.
  19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You know that you are comparing a 60's grooved bias ply with a modern slick tire? And a car wich has basicly zero downforce with one that has atleast some downforce? The way I see it, alot of this "new feeling" that some people get is more placebo than anything else or maybe they simply forget that it will feel different, because it simply is a different and new car. Also regarding the FR 3.5 Michael Borda allready told you about the tire grip, but also keep in mind, what happens when you strip that 530 horse power V8 engine onto the USF-2000 car wich is basicly like trippling the power. You would get something like a dragster :D

For me it's the same old good quality that I expected from the content guys of ISI, who are now part of Sutdio 397. And don't forget all the other people involved and the good amount of data. On a last note: you guys should consider this car for the demo. It's very approachable and a fun car to drive, especialy for new comers.

Ozzy, AceLain, peterchen and 2 others like this.
  20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think the difference for me is not that a USF2000 with slicks should have the same grip as an EVE on hockey puck-equivalent tires. The difference is that in AMS, the F3 feels appropriately more grippy and better down force than the Formula Trainer, which in turn feels appropriately grippier and more down force than the Formula Vee. They all feel like cars that emerged from the same universe, with the same fundamental physics characteristics. I don't know if that's because of the physics themselves or the implementation of the FFB, or a combination of the two.

In rF2, the USF2000, the F2 and Skippy not only do not feel like they relate appropriately to each other (particularly in FFB terms), on my hardware at least they don't even feel like they are from the same sim. Ditto in terms of I am not sure what causes this in terms of physics versus FFB implementation versus both.

My original post that started this side conversation was to say that the USF2000 feels more authentic to me than most of the other cars in rF2. I think the car has received pretty much universal praise in terms of how it drives and feels. That is not the norm around here, as any of us old-timers can attest. So:
    • If we agree the USF2000 is great, what makes it so? Michael Borda (who would know) seems to suggest it is the real-world nature of the tires. If that is the case, then this just happens to be a fun car to drive and we can go back to sleep regarding the rest of the rF2 cars.
      • I can accept that as a plausible answer, but cannot explain how all the cars in AMS feel natural and authentic and appropriately controllable, whether they are the crap grip Vee or the F3 or an even more amazing F1 car.
    • I have many hours logged in a Skippy in real life. The rF2 USF2000 feels to me like a real life Skippy with super sticky slicks. It feels more like a real life Skippy than the rF2 Skippy, although the rF2 Skippy does have some very authentic tippiness and rear-heavy handling characteristics, but they feel exaggerated compared to real life.
      • Hence, my desire to see the rF2 Skippy given a once-over to update it with whatever this car has in terms of the latest sim modelling
        • I accept that the Skippy may already be as good as it gets for rF2 and "appropriate" in sim terms relative to the USF2000, but it bothers me when the AMS cars "feel" more realistic (even if they are not in sim engineering terms). If the AMS Vee and Trainer had a baby, it would be a perfect Skippy. Literally, just blend those two cars together and for me, with real Skippy seat time, it would feel closer to the real thing than the rF2 Skippy. I know that is sacrilegious from a purist perspective, but...it's the truth from my seat of the pants :)
    • And just for the record, I am not a person who wants or enjoys exaggerated grip, so no, the reason I like this USF2000 is not its relatively grippy tires versus relatively light weight and low centre of gravity. Cars with relatively poor handling characteristics (even street cars) and street tires can be even more fun to race.
    • There are so many cars in rF2 that have been improved with updates that I just long for ALL of them to be brought to the latest, greatest standard. Then we can experience for ourselves what is going on relative to each other without it being a black box
      • And sorry, but Reiza has now set the standard in this regard. AMS receives almost universal praise for its consistency--that means that even if its half placebo, you don't hop in an AMS car and ever stop to shake your head and think how is this vehicle handling like this when I just drove that other thing and the two don't align in my brain or through my hands and arms?
      • Reiza makes mistakes and is committed to evolving. They just admitted an aerodynamic modelling error that will affect the feel of their vehicles. The difference is that once they sort it out, even if it requires every single car to be tweaked, they'll do that in a matter of days or weeks, not months or years or never.
    In the new spirit of openness, I would appreciate if Michael Borda or Marcel or whoever is most appropriate could comment here or in the next "monthly" update which of the existing cars could benefit from some form of update (and what that might be) versus which ones are already as good as it gets. We can then draw our own conclusions (about the content and whether S397 is even willing to communicate about these sorts of details).

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    DaVeX likes this.