Config.ini always resets!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dan m, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Dan m

Dan m Registered

I really hope that's not the case because it needs adjustment. Assetro corsa allows both. I'll try it now though. Thanks. Stay tuned.

2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I've set nvidia surround.
    And i'm able to switch between multiview (5760x1080) or non multiview resultion (6020x1080) with bezel correction.

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

This is incorrect.

Nvidia Surround does present one large monitor to Windows. However, rF2 (and in fact games like rF1, iRacing, ATS, ETS2, in my experience) then create the viewports (multiview) as needed and send that to the single display created by Surround.

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm positive with Steam you can have Steam installed in one folder/drive and it's games installed in a different folder/drive.
    I never install steam and games on C drive. Less hassle when doing a clean Windows install.

With nVidia surround I set that up with no bezel correction 5760x1080.
    My Dell monitors have slim 6mm side bezels which helps.
    Multiview and fullscreen selected.
    I then use the in game triple monitor setup tool.
    Select All monitors, put the size in, a tiny bit of bezel overlap and then my 45° angle.
    Never had any problems.

5. Dan m

Dan m Registered

I've done all the suggestions you said. I completely removed and reinstalled on a totally different drive and I did both surround and non surround setups.

No matter what the config.ini resets.

What else can I try this is insane. I really thought completely uninstalling and installing to a new drive would do it.

I'm at my wits end here guys I've been in IT for years I'm not some computer noob lol. I'm lost.

6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

You've definitely got a strange problem that I'm interested in knowing what is going on.
    I don't have Win10 but when I get home in about 9 hours I'll have a look through my install and see if I find anything.

7. Dan m

Dan m Registered

Thanks man. I was so excited to get a trip monitor setup. It's baffling.

8. Goanna

Goanna Registered

You can also check where the config file is being written to as well. On my rF2 install (D:\Steam\etc), using the launcher and video setting buttons writes to 2 different places, one of which does not exist and running the rF Config.exe directly from the Bin32 folder has a third destination, which also does not exist.

[​IMG]

9. Dan m

Dan m Registered

I thought of this too, and checked. Now listen to this, its a REAL head scratcher.

On the advice someone gave here i had an idea. I set all the permissions of the config.ini to deny any writing. I started the game with the edited config.ini with my settings, and then it didnt works. I left the game running and alt-tabbed into windows and checked the config.ini file. GET THIS! The config.ini i write protected STILL HAD MY SETTING I EDITED IN- THE GAME STILL RESET TO DEFAULT THOUGH!!@

Now I'm REALLY confused! The config.ini file stays edited when the game runs but still the triple settings default to normal? What the heck?

By the way I'm using the config.ini inside the userdata folder inside the rfctor2 folder, is that not the one to use? Also should i be using the 32=bit version? I also use SimVibe.

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  11. Dan m

Dan m Registered

So I guess that's it then? I found a bug or something ? Cause nothing works still. I actually physically adjusted my monitors as best as I could to match the default settings.

If anyone knows something I can do next let me know. Thanks.

12. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I think default setting is 800x600 windowed mode. Anyway single screen settings... Not much to adjust for triple screens.

So i guess the resolution you've choosen is OK?
    But multi-view settings isn't?

Some printscreens/screenshots from your end might help.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you done a system-wide search for config.ini files? It sounds like an access issue of some sort, with the read/written config.ini being placed somewhere unusual because of Windows access settings or possibly AV intervening (sandbox etc).

14. Dan m

Dan m Registered

I have done the whole access permission thing because that was my thought too. But I reinstalled the game on a totally different drive. I'm using actually default settings by which I mean the angles And eye distance etc. I moved my setup to match. Illl get alll screenshots etc up a little later maybe we can figure this out. As I said, though, the MOST curious thing was when I took away write permission so that it didn't get overwritten, the config.ini stayed with the correct
    Values when game was launched. I thought I had finally solved it but when I went to look st the triples setup in-game, AMAZINGLY, it reverted to the default settings even though on alt-tab i was looking at the config.ini with the corrected setup values. Somehow even though the config.ini is there, it's not using it.