Config.ini always resets!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dan m, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Dan m

Dan m Registered

No matter what I do, every time I start rfactor2 the config.ini resets. Wasn't too much of an issue until I got triple screen setup.

I've tried editing the config.ini directly.
    I spent hours using the in-game triple sceeen util.
    I've copied the config ini into a new file with admin provledge and saved it in case it was read only.

Now after losing another hour of triple setup I'm ready to go crazy.

Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

You can always delete the config.ini (rF2 will generate a new default one) and set your video settings again.

Of this doesn't work:

Try to set your video resolution ingame (not via the launcher).

3. Dan m

Dan m Registered

I have done both of those.

I have deleted it and tried to edit that one.

I have set all different resolutions settings in-game and outside of game.

I can't spend an hour every time setting pu triple monitor support! NO one has ever experienced this before?

4. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Set it as read only on properties...

5. Dan m

Dan m Registered

Davex i will try that.

6. Dan m

Dan m Registered

Dave it didnt work. Same thing. So I'm the only person in the world this happens to? Heh, at least any idea what else I can try¿

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

An hour! Surely you exaggerate?
    Anyway, is rF running in Admin mode?
    If not then I would change it
    Also if Steam and rF are installed in the default location, C drive Program folder then maybe Windows UAC User Account Control is the issue.

8. Dan m

Dan m Registered

ADSTA haha yes, I'm a perfectionist and I kept getting like 1% off and my right eye would be wonky when i turned a corner haha. It just annoyed me till i got it.

I do run steam in admin mode, I will try to change factor to admin mode as well. This whole windows thing with run as admin is so dumb when they changed it on windows 8. I mean we all run everything as run as admin, its stupid.

All, steam and rfactor2 are one of the few things actually installed on my OS drive for speed. How can i check if UAC is affecting it. I am on windows 10 latest update. thanks

Thanks.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm on Win 7
    Control panel / User Accounts.
    I think there is an option to change UAC.
    I have mine set to never / off

10. Dan m

Dan m Registered

ADSTA, yeah I'm not sure if windows 10 has that any more, i thought maybe you were talking about something I hadn't heard of. I actually found one other tread of someone with the same issue on an obscure racing forum, but it link doesn't work after you click on it on Google, so some one has the same troubles as me.

11. Dan m

Dan m Registered

Welp nothing worked. Heres all that i tried.

Making the file read only/not read only. Making the Userdata folder read only/not read only. Deleting the c config.ini and restarting game, then adjusting the triple settings from editing the file and inside the game. I did everything run as admin having to do with rfactor2.

I figured out the game writes the new config just fine. The thing is every time i close the program, upon re-launch, it writes a brand new default config file, almost as if it can't find it and makes a new one, even though it writes the correct data when i run the program the time before.

So, i have to do the config setup every time i use the game.

Do you or anyone else have any more suggestions?

12. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Yes, I suggest you reinstall out of "Program Files" because this folder is very protected and often causes problems.

13. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

There should not be any problems installing into "Program Files" Steam is set up for this specifically.

14. Christopher Elliott

If you can grab that config file with all of your custom settings, please send it to me? (via PM) Thanks

15. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Sorry to hear this...have you tryed a goat sacrifice too?Because you config.ini seems evil...:p

Euskotracks likes this.
  16. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Ha, I have never been able to put steam there without having problems with one day.
    Hence this answer.
    Since I have installed "Program Files" I have never had to worry about writing to a file.

But this is good news for others.

17. Dan m

Dan m Registered

So you guys think I should reinstall it outside of program files ? And Christopher I can send you the file but it's just he default config.ini because it got overwritten again of course. It just seems weird because it has no problem writing the config info. Just keeps making a new one on start up. What kind of protection would cause that ?

Thanks.

18. Christopher Elliott

Are you setting different viewing angles for each side monitor? Meaning left and right do not have the same angle set.

19. Dan m

Dan m Registered

Yes I've tried everything. I've tried symmetrical which doesn't work exactly but I'd live with it if it saved, and I've tried individual. I've tried setting it using the "triples" in game tool and editing the config.ini itself. It always reverts back to default numbers.

I'm using two 980ti in SLI using nVidia surround to make one big monitor.

It writes the config changes just fine. I checked. But when I restart rfactor2 it resets all changes and writes a new config.ini

20. regged

regged Registered

I think you need to use either Nvidia surround or the rfactor multiple monitor setup, not both. If using Nvidia surround rfactor will only see one big "virtual" monitor, the rfactor multi monitor setup needs to be able to see multiple monitors, this may be why the config.ini is being overwritten.