Released USF2000 2016 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Time of day is 30 min difference i think. But it doesn't matter to much.
    I've added the wheel ambient shadow and made the ambient shadows (frontwing/body undertray) a bit stronger, Like i proposed in that post.

If you thought shadow setting were different: I'll take that as a complement. :cool:

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

If you turn the shadows on LOW there are no shadows underneath the tires, that's what I meant. You've made your point btw.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The car is awesome. Feels like a Reiza AMS car, only with the superior FFB resolution of rF2. That's a compliment, meaning the car feels natural and exactly like the real thing right out of the box. No fiddling or need to adjust your senses to compensate for it being on a computer. Just get in and drive and do what you would do in the real car and it reacts appropriately.

The tire heat issue may be a generic rF2 core issue? It's been discussed for years on here. Maybe Christopher could confirm?

My one and only complaint is that damage doesn't seem to be implemented properly. Car is much too strong/difficult to damage.

I beg S397--PLEASE, PLEASE give this treatment to one of the existing cars so we can all have hope to being addicted again to the best sim. The other cars become less appealing when the latest, greatest one gets released and you realize just how good the sin can feel and behave.

I vote for the F2 since it has the most screwed-up FFB of any existing ISI car, but honestly, I'll take any one. I am so looking forward to the older content getting updated to this level of quality and coherent simulation.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    tpw, fullsus and BigDuke6 like this.
  4. Christopher Elliott

Marc what percentage damage are you running?

5. dfsfa

dfsfa Registered

Loving the car also here!
    was wondering about the paint template. can the rims also be changed via and altEXTRA##.dds file?
    is there a template of the rims as well?
    thanks!

6. RoWo

RoWo Member

I also love the looking and the behavior of this car. Great content! :) Thanks a lot!
    The issues with this car already mentioned - tire temperatures, wheel-shadows, ... - should be fixed. And my suggestion is an AC-like bug fixing. I mean, this issues can be fixed with little intervention, seems not that difficult. So please S397! :)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's where Steam comes in handy, little hotfixes can be pushed out quickly and more efficiently than ever before and it is exactly what Studio397 said they were going to do. This could also explain why there is no separate download available and that the mod is only Officially available through the Steam Workshop, I know the next Build is Steam only so this may well be the first Steam only content which would fall into the "hotfix" area quite nicely.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Only problem with the workshop is that if a mod get removed there it will be removed from your PC too. So now you have the mod installed, the mod taking disc space in the workshop folder and you may want to do a backup and have the same thing a 3rd time in your PC just in case the creator wants to remove it from the workshop :rolleyes:
    *found out about this (mods removed) in the worst possible way: right when I needed the mod....

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

100%

10. Jego

Jego Registered

The car feels good to drive, I struggle to get fast times though. If I seen to push hard it loses traction fast, understeers hard and my front tyres overheat.
    From what I have read it's best to take the corners slow and trail brake into the apex. Should I keep my foot on the gas slightly as with the skip?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Guimengo: Try deleting Player.JSON
    If that doesn´t help, do a fresh install!
    Nuts AI is a good sign that installation is screwed.

12. Jego

Jego Registered

So the reason for my struggle was that I had positioned the virtual seat to the furthest position possible, however this made it difficult to hit apexes right. I realized that when I choose a different livery car (left seat position at the default) and suddenly was 1 second faster :rolleyes:

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I have very choppy (as in not smooth) FFB, I have to try other cars in game to see if it's specific or generalized. Even with minimum force set to 0. I did roll back my Fanatec GT3 RS v2 drivers to 115 to have less deadzone, and it works fine in other games.

14. Christopher Elliott

Might want to check your rotation in Fanatec CP if you haven't already.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Do you mean the degrees of rotation? It's always configured to 900º with the option for the game to overwrite it. I run with FFB set to OFF on the wheel itself so the game decides the rotation, and I always get 1:1 match. But like I said, I must first drive other content before pursuing this further. I already have a fresh player.json and hope I don't have to recreate another controller profile, of course.

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's a widespread game situation, it seems, not specific to this car. It's slightly better with a car such as the DW12, however I found myself tweaking the smoothing to 7 to counteract the grainy, choppy feedback.

Quite sad this happens with the Fanatec, as rolling back firmware and drivers was the only way to reduce a lot of the 10% deadzone (to about 4.5%).

17. Comante

Comante Registered

smoothing at 7 is not the evil, it's about the recommended settings for G27, and if you don't like the gear feeling that's what it takes.. but I thought fanatecs were made with belts..or not?

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yup, it's belt-driven so smoothing should be 0 (as I always had it). It's a hassle to re-do the firmware and driver update to try it again as it was before, but I rather have to run with smoothing in rF2 than lose precious early-range FFB.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have finally had a bit more time to spend in the car. My initial feelings have not changed: it's very authentic and natural feeling and overall just an amazing car that signals good quality control and good results to come from S397.

One real issue: The FFB overall is as close to perfect as anything I have driven in rF2. One small area feels a bit unnatural to me, though since I haven't driven this exact car, it may be purposeful. But I doubt it, because I feel the same effect in some other mod cars. The issue is resistance to turning at lower and medium speed corners that seems too strong. The way I would describe the "feel" is that there is still aero effect down force causing resistance or straightforward direction inertia to turn-in on corners, but where you are going too slow for it to be there in real life. Not resistance like a kart that isn't moving or a car without power steering at low speeds. Just a small weightiness that only feels out of place compared to the same car at different speeds. The weight itself is fine overall.

The AMS F3 car, mentioned as a comparison elsewhere, feels really good to me in terms of the expected down force effect. If anything, I would suspect these cars have less down force than the F3 in AMS. It certainly feels that way at high speeds. So where is this resistance to initial turn-in at medium and lowers speeds coming from? I'll have to drive some more to see if it is actually less at higher speeds than at medium speeds.

It's either supposed to be there (please confirm), or, it's due to setup and can be adjusted out (please give hints as to how), or, it's a programming overcompensation for dead zone or the slop in the wheel near centre that we often get in ISI-based sims. Reiza somehow got rid of that (at least for me) in AMS. This car does not suffer from it, either (good). But perhaps it's torqued-up just a bit too much? I have no real idea, but would be interested to hear if others perceive that current turn-in resistance level as appropriate or too high as I do. I have only driven a few real race cars (which is still more than most I expect), and none felt like that.

Just for comparison, though, the F2 car feels like the worst (unnatural, implausible FFB) sim vehicle by far in rF2 for me. Others like it. That's why I am asking. It's quite a challenge to get any car to feel good across the whole variety of sim hardware out there.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    tpw likes this.
  20. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

what race cars did you drive if i may ask?

btw thanks for this car isi/s397