Released USF2000 2016 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Nov 23, 2016.

1. BecauseRaceCar

BecauseRaceCar Registered

Is the car able to be used on ovals?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes. They only race once per year on an oval though.

3. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Just did a couple of practice laps and two 30 min races at Mid Ohio with a group of fellow racers. What a great car. I love that narrow threshold of being right at the limit with a rather wide area of manageable grip that comes after that. Very well done and it just makes for great racing. The car is sensible to small setup changes in a way that felt very spot on to me (at least the few bits that I did try changing in the short amount of time I had with the car so far). This might be my new favourite rF2 car. Definately calls for more laps.

One thing I noticed apart from the engine temp issue already mentioned is that the middle of my front tires were hottest when I was still trying to find the cars braking limits (and overdoing it a bit). That was with camber ~ -3.5 and even the case with lowest possible front tire pressures. I would expect the inner tire temps to be at least as high, if not higher with that much camber? Once I managed to slow the car down without locking the fronts, the issue was muss less pronounced but still there from time to time when I had a look at tire temps (using the standart rF2 hud).

Anyways, great car, looking forward to doing more laps already. :thumbsup: Many thanks!

Karei likes this.
  4. Karei

Karei Registered

It happens even with max camber, especially on left tires. I then decided to use the plugin that shows contact patch in real time, and found out that the car sits on the center of the tire all the time, even when stopped.
    I have rarely driven CPM cars, so I'm no expert, but I read on another thread that CPM doesn't necessarily fix the temperature bug. Is it true?

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

This car loves Nogaro :)
    try it guys.

6. RoWo

RoWo Member

Where to find this plugin?

mrsmr2 likes this.
  7. Karei

Karei Registered

It's build in rF2, but I'm gonna be honest... I can't remember how I activated it the first time! I was looking for the triple screen adjuster-thing, couldn't find it, so I changed the original combination. Then I found out that with ctrl + something you open the triple screen adjuster, but with alt + same key you open the contact patch monitor.
    To find your combination, go to controls -> misc
    In this video, it's the thing in the top left of the screen:

8. RoWo

RoWo Member

Ok, got it. Thanks.

9. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

thanks, but will there (eventually) be a central place where we can find them? Previously all cars, tracks and templates could be found on rfactor.net. As I understand it you won't be have download links for new cars/tracks anymore other then the steam workshop (no problem for me), but over time it will be hard to find templates if they are only in the top post of a release thread since those threads will eventually disappear from the first few pages ;)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Marcel stated in another thread that the other content will make its way here, and I would presume it includes stuff like templates.

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

For now, you can't do assymetric setups. We do plan to add an oval-oriented package sometime later - can't give you an ETA yet though.

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

Just to be the millionth person to say this car is awesome and probably the most fun open-wheeler ISI/S397 has released. Well done and thanks! ;)

13. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

and the wheels undershadow is missing. A little detail... ;)
    Undertray shadows could be a bit stronger too, but that might be my preference.
    GRAB_009.JPG GRAB_007.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  14. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

You probably lowered shadow detail

15. Gijs van Elderen

No, wheel-undertray shadow isn't in the .gen file...
    At the second picture: I've added the wheel undertray from the F2, FISI or skippy. They all make use of the same wheel undertray texture.

It's a little detail that could be added with the update. :)

16. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I confirm, the undershadow specific to wheels are missing.

17. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Tried the car last weekend. And even if i'm not really a fan of formula cars, i have to admit that this car is an absolute joy to drive. Well done!

18. Christopher Elliott

What are your shadow settings?

19. Gijs van Elderen

Maximum. :)

But you're problably wondering where the normal shadow is at the first screenshot: It's directly behind the wheel itself. ;)

But i'm talking about the ambient shadow underneath the wheel. (Ambient textures are there even at low ingame shadow settings.)

Ambient occlusion "shadows": You see them in real live best on a cloudy day.

With rF2 (and other games) you can fake them with a texture casting an "ambient texture shadow". It isn't render intensive / FFP heavy.

The ambient shadow gives the effect that the wheel is making contact with the surfaces. Without it: the wheel seems to floating above the surface.
    [​IMG]

A game engine can render it's own Ambient Occlussion shadows: SSAO, HBAO, HDAO.
    Maybe a thingy to look at when DX11 is implemented. ;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Ernie likes this.
  20. Christopher Elliott

Yeah your two screen-shots were confusing, would have been better to take the same time of day, I thought you meant underneath the tires.
    What you mention above was not added in v1003, that's right.