[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, just thinking about this more I don't think this will work. If you log, say, 5 seconds of sitting in the pits, the file open dialog shows it as a 5 second fastest lap. That log has no real timing data in it, i2Pro just looks at how much data there is and goes from that. I also doubt I can put in extra large laptime values for a partial log (the timing data doesn't work that way), so unless I can find a way to invalidate it I think we're a bit stuck.

We might have to look at a different solution, like changing some of the details when the log contains no actual laps, or even putting it in a different folder or something (optional, of course). If you think of something let me know, in the meantime when I get a chance I'll see if I can somehow throw something weird in the timing data and get i2Pro to display something different, but I'm not sure it'll work.

2. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

But didn't your older plugins solved this issue already?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, pretty sure it's always been the same. I think old versions of i2Pro didn't create the .ldx files (which have the time summary) until you opened the log, whereas the newer ones seem to go and work out the times straight away so they all get listed in the file dialog.

Anyway, I'll see if anything change its behaviour.

4. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Thanks for the clarification.

5. thuro76

thuro76 Registered

someone could explain how to activate the optional channels? thank you

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Go to your DAMPlugin.ini (in your UserData\player folder), and down the bottom you'll see a section called [Extra Channel Config].

By default they're all set to 0 (not logged), you need to change the ones you want to = 1 (normal logging), = 2 (logging with extra precision), or = 3 (logging with high-range values). For most uses = 1 will be fine.

The full list of channels is in this post.

7. Swider

Swider Registered

Hi Lazza,

you've done great job, really appreciate it !

Want to ask what about Wheels_2 channel, I'm interested especially in Camber logging - could you shed some light on this topic ? Are you planning to activate this function, and please tell me when if so ? :)

Cheers

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Lazza's plugin works fine. Camber beeing always reported as 0 is a bug in the sim. The next public build will have that fixed.

bravotangosix likes this.
  9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi Lazza,
    If I am not wrong, the name for the "Tyre Temp FR Centre" and "Tyre Temp RR Centre" is different wrt Motec plugin.
    This is not helpful in order to use a common project template for both type of files.
    It should be corrected in one of both so that common channels match beween both plugins.
    The typo is actually in the other plugin (where left and right tire temps show different channel names) but I am not sure if it deserves changing it there since it would affect many people's template which if changed would have problems with older logs.
    I would change this DAM resigning to maintain the typo. Your decision

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

@Lazza
    Another question.
    Regarding lat/long patch/ground velocities...
    Are these values provided by the game or are they calculated by the plugin?

The reason for the question is that I have observed that there is a 1:1 relationship between lateral patch velocities of both tires in the same axis. Hence when calculating slip angles matching values are obtained.

I would expect some difference between those considering wheel convergence values. Before getting nuts trying to understand it, I prefer to ask about the origin of the data firsr. Thanks in advance

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The typo is in the default i2Pro project. I chose to copy that so the default project showed that data, but it made people ask more questions because, really, the default project doesn't show a lot of logged channels so everything needs to basically be set up, and then people were tripped up by the typo. I decided for this one to just pick one spelling and be done with it.

I don't really know why you'd be running the two 'types of files' side by side, but if you really need to then you can just set up a third channel that will pull either 'center' or 'centre' depending on which is available. Changing this one now would affect many people's existing templates, too.

Logged as provided by the game.

Euskotracks likes this.
  12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks for the replies @Lazza.
    Regarding the typo in the channel name. I already thought of using both channels in the graph. However, it is not so simple.
    For evolution graphs (temp vs time) it might be useful. However, for other graphs representing actual value it makes no sense since they cannot be associated to more than one channel. Tire temp distribution along the wheel is typically represented by bars in parallel in the same pattern as a real tire.

I would like to use data coming from both plugins in order to be able to use both. For my personal studies (FFB and others) I would like to use DAM plugin since it has more data. For my league, motec is required.

All my work with motec is always in one cumulative template. Having to duplicate it in order to consider both plugins’ different names is not ver nice but I guess I have not much choice.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, I didn't think of leagues requiring standard plugins. That makes some sense.

I was thinking Maths could help you select either channel based on what was available, but I can see an invalid channel name just invalidates the whole expression.

However, you can use a Channel Alias to do this:
    • Go to Tools -> Channel Alias Editor
    • Add an alias ("Tyre Temp FL Cent", for example; whatever makes sense and won't clash with a logged channel name)
    • With that alias selected, Add Channel, and select "Tyre Temp FL Center" or "Tyre Temp FL Centre" (whichever is valid in the current log file)
    • Open up one of the other log files
    • Add the alternate channel to the alias

Now reference the alias in your analysis (graphs, histograms, etc), and both files should work, and can be viewed side by side as normal.

Euskotracks likes this.
  14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Cool tip, thamks :)

15. walsh_luke

walsh_luke Registered

The .ini location for saving files doesn't seem to want to change for me...

I'm trying to save the logs to my Google Drive location which is C:/... Instead of the default LOG folder inside the game install but as soon as I open the game after changing and saving the file it just changes it back to default immediately. What am I doing wrong?

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Can you copy the specific line in the ini file and paste it here? I suspect a spelling problem or a writing permission problem.

17. walsh_luke

walsh_luke Registered

In DAMPlugin_Output, the line;
    Log dir: .\\LOG\

I've tried various combinations of .\\C:\Users\... , .\C:\Users\... , \C:\Users\... , C:\Users\...
    They all just revert back to default which makes me think it doesn't believe it to be a valid path so reverts to default?

Thanks!

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

If you are using an absolute path you need to put it between quotation marks. I'll put the example I use when I get home.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

In my case
    Log dir = "C:\Users\...\LOG2\"

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds like you're changing the output file instead of the .ini file.