New roadmap november 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eddy, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Anybody can make paid content. Determining the price and distribution between Valve, Studio 397 and the creator is something we will do on a case by case basis. In general we can also offer our help on matters like licensing. More details will be available in the upcoming months.

2. lokidan

lokidan Registered

looks nice

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I want a sequential shifter and a round wheel, please santa, now :p

patrickkluiters and Eddy like this.
  4. yoss

yoss Registered

TY mr marcel

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

But it also comes with a price tag...

6. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Santa kept it for himself. :)

[​IMG]

Ernie and Marcel Offermans like this.
  7. lokidan

lokidan Registered

that reminds me s397, dont release crap like this again like the van and the quad and rc cars etc. Total waste of time.

sorry

8. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

All service has a price it's normal

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

As long as everyone is aware of this :)

10. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

So you are thinking to something similar to DCS Series, where you can buy DLCs from modders both on their webpage and steam?

11. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Nice video. Was the video a replay or screen record? I don't think I have ever heard tyre skidding in RF2 replays before? Is this new?
    Just wondering?

12. Gijs van Elderen

If the sounds balance is set correctly. ;)
    Skip to min 8:00

@Marcel Offermans :cool:

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I really hope the paid DLC is better quality than what we've already been paying for: Looking at you URD.

14. bwana

bwana Registered

ever consider it may have been a way of testing mod creation/texture use/ optimization ? or perhaps a training creation for a new employee? Did you pay for it ? Did you have to download it ? .. lighten up.

Ernie, Goanna, Ho3n3r and 2 others like this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

Well there are currently no rF2 mods that are "better than URD quality" and I don't see how the paid DLC option alone would spark some huge new modding projects. Modding in 2016 is fairly niche activity and rF2 is already a mature platform, so it will be difficult to convince new guys to start modding for rF2 especially if they have already settled for another platform.

If you want to build a popular mod these days you need quite a big group of people working on it and these type of modding groups seem almost extinct. ISI has some talented guys in the 3PA program that will probably continue to produce stuff that could be considered as paid DLC, but even for them it will take years to finish something like URD has done.

D.Painter likes this.
  16. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Not sure if this is the right place for this....but as Marcel is active in here thought I might ask.

As a casual track modder (and having to learn a heap of stuff for rF2) I really hope things become easier for new modders wanting to mod something. Some of the other platforms make it very easy so get new content or converted content into their games, that anybody could do it and get a decent looking track in a short period of time. I have read that S397 is working on new tools and maybe this request is being worked on as I type.

I feel that one of the new modders biggest griefs is "rotating billboards", and getting the correct texture orientation. There are tools you can use but for the average Joe they need simple stuff.

Without the knowledge of why and what makes up shaders, it seems that in Automobilista and rFactor you can make rotating billboards without considering the vert count and using the billboard=true command.

If making a rotating billboard plane can be made easier that would help a lot of new modders.

TwoHardCore likes this.
  17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

For creating billboard plane objects I simply use an existing one and replace the material with a new one. Scaling is done using channel 3. I dont understand the point of creating a new billboard.

Animated objects are a different story but billboards?

18. Gijs van Elderen

As far as i know: These tools are more related to car physics.

For moddeling Cars/Tracks:
    gJED is still in development and the 3ds Max plugins might get an up dated to work with the latest 3ds max versions.

If billboards are complicated:
    I could create 1 working billboard and export it to fbx.
    Anyone can simply import this fbx it into their moddeling program and duplicate it, resize it, change textures for different trees or crowd.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  19. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

This isn't about making them it's about not having to make them.
    To the 2 experienced modders that have commented, I to have no problems now making them either and I have a few methods I use that speed up the process. This is about making it easier and one less thing for new modders to worry about.

There are programs like BTB etc that most casual modders start out with. All they have to do is click buttons and drag a mouse to create something that they have no idea about how it was done. Maybe we don't want their content :) but the more numbers we can get modding that will only bring more driving numbers.

What I see is that the majority of modders now @ rF2 are here because they love the sim and had the will to stick at it and learn new skills, BUT the majority of modders that are starting out have found it frustrating modding some things for rF2 have given up and moved to more easier modding platforms.
    If I new nothing about modding and wanted to start to learn I'm not sure I'd choose rF2 to start with ATM.

There is marios tools which can convert and make billboards in 3ds max, but not all modders have it and once you know how you don't need it.

20. TwoHardCore

TwoHardCore Registered

Might be a good thing for you (and others with similar opinions) that ISI/Studio 397 doesn't have an easy to use editor like Kunos made for AC, otherwise you might be subject to seeing threads created by folks like me with their tracks. In fact, I'd love to see my Circuit Mont Tremblant (AC track) make its way into rF2, but without a thorough background in modding for rFactor, and having only used BTB (and now RTB) to make tracks, I have no idea how to get said track into the game.

If Studio 397 can make an editor, similar to the AC one, where I don't need additional software to finish my (FBX + textures) track along with a video showing how to use it's editor, then I'll jump in the game. It took me about 5 minutes after watching a similar video (how to use the AC editor) to get my tracks into game for AC, so I'll keep my hopes up s397 can do similar.