Starter Motor

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by fastfezzer, Aug 21, 2012.

1. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Would be nice to have a starter motor sound which is directly actioned by the starter motor key.

Just an idea, kind of false the way they're is silence and then engine sound.

2. dandar

dandar Registered

That values already exists long time ago. You could find it in SFX:

VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING=xxx.wav
    VS_OUTSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING=xxx.wav

They are triggered by the starter motor key, and the duration can be specified in HDV by using:

StarterTiming=(0.05, 0.1, 1.2) // average and variable cranking time, then blend with starting sound

3. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

I hope ISI get around to adding the sounds.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Isn't that engine.ini option?

I believe OP means that there would be sound as long as you keep button pressed?

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Unfortunately we have only one sound: starter followed by engine start.
    I would like to have it split. or even more:
    - fuel pump sound - when enabled, means after switching ignition or pump on - depending on car)
    - starter sound - when pressing starter button
    - engine sound

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I agree with the OP. Actually we have just a wave file with everything merged.

Could be very nice to get a stuff like this (you can hear the fuel pump just after the first attempt to start the engine);

7. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

The main reason I requested it is because, in the Clio's for instance, I press the 'S' key, I wait with 2 seconds of silence and then the car is idling. Very annoying.

However, reading these replies have given me ideas.

The starter key should be linked to the starter regardless of any other condition.

So, if you've changed down too soon, bent some valves, you should be able to try and restart the engine but it will just turn over and not fire up. You have the ability to keep turning the engine over to try and get it running but due to low compression it would be difficult.

Another instance. The engine is already running and you press the starter button. You are greeted with a horrible noise of the starter motor grinding on the flywheel ring gear. This in itself could cause damage to the starter motor or just add to engine damage.

Just adds realism. Link the starter key to the starter motor regardless of conditions and have a proper starter noise that is a continuous sound.

8. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

And also, link the ignition key to a fuel pump prime noise.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

And we do have that already, even in GTR1 :)

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Almost... in GTR1 fuel pump noise and starter noise was merged together (as far as I remember). Point is to split it: for separate sounds as well as functions.
    In road cars, fuel pump is started just by ignition. But in racing ones, there is dedicated switch for pump.

In modern road cars (for the last 10 years) you cannot run starter since motor is running. Depends on construction it may be mechanical blockade. When you failed in attempt of start engine, or you stall your engine, you have to turn your keys to off position and then to on again, to make starter accessible.

11. Marek Lesniak

They are merged together, because SimBin decided to do so. You can have them separate, if you want to (and like we have in our FIA GT mod :) ).

VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTER - that's the place to put fuel pump sound
    VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING - here, you want to put starter sound

Of course, in real race car we mostly have:
    - master switch,
    - fuel pump,
    - ignition,
    - starter.

When you set master switch on, you probably won't hear any additional sounds, so we might skip that in our sim.
    Then, we manually start fuel pump and we can clearly hear it starting, so we want that... and we have already.
    Ignition - no additional sounds here I think.
    Starter - yes, we hear engine crank and as with fuel pump - we have that already.

I'd like to have "master switch" and "ignition" switches, connected with various LEDs on car's dashboard but that's a different story ;-)

12. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

Maxym

I work as a vehicle technician and what your saying is correct for keyless systems with push button starts. However I would say 90% of conventional key barrel systems still allow the starter motor to be operated with the engine running.

It's irrelevant anyway, we mainly drive race cars in rF2, not road cars. :)

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Really? I never noticed this sound. As I did sounds for our mods, I don't remember both sounds played. I can imagine that one may be used for starter sound, and second for starting engine sound. But starter sound is not played when engine is running, right?
    In any way, I see no place for fuel pump in other way to mix it with one of existing sounds.
    BTW: fuel pump starts when ignition or dedicated switch is on. Not after hitting starter.

At least I have to check what you said.

Once, I had Ford Focus 1999. It has conventional key barrel system with blocked starter once engine has run. In case of stall, I had to turn off ignition. The same in newer FOcuses and Mondeos. The same in Skoda autos, so I think it will be true for WV Audis and Seats. It is my guess because even if going with some cars I didn't check this function in any single one
    But I remember, even 5 years old KIA Piccanto is protected against running starter while engine is running too. In that case you are able to turn keys into starter position but nothing happens.

It may seem off topic. But if ISI will start to work on such features one day, they should implement it as wise as possible. At the end we may have all kind of cars in rf2 (as proven by in rf1). With support for bistable switches it may give a lot of immersion.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  14. Marek Lesniak

You have 2 buttons:
    - ignition ("starter" sample)
    - starter ("starting" sample)

"Ignition" = set master switch to on, start fuel pump and turn engine ignition on - all that as one procedure. When your engine is already running, pushing "ignition" button is like turning off master switch (or doing the whole procedure in reverse).
    "Starter" = crank the engine until it starts.

That's what I said earlier - there are some simplifications. Some things can be done better (like separate switches for all functions) but it's not like currently we turn on fuel pump in the same time when crank engine ;-)

When you go out on track from garage, rF automatically sets ignition and starter. Take one of our GT cars. Push ignition button to turn it off and when pushing again to turn it on, you should here fuel pump beeing started. THEN, when you push "starter" button, you should hear only engine crank sound.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Wow... I never tried that. So you may be right. I never heard that because rF starts car automatically in garage as you said.
    But when fuel pump sound is stopping to play? I never heard it even after engine stalled. The pump should work until you turn ignition off, shouldn't it?

16. Marek Lesniak

You hear it starting BEFORE you start engine, but you don't hear fuel pump actually working later, because sound sample goes off (it lasts for about 3s).

17. dandar

dandar Registered

Sorry for the delay, here are some answers ...

The values:
    VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING=xxx.wav
    VS_OUTSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING=xxx.wav
    Can be found on the SFX definition file.

StarterTiming=(0.05, 0.1, 1.2) // average and variable cranking time, then blend with starting sound
    Can be specified in HDV.

For example, when you set VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING to some wav this will start playing when you push the Starter's key assignment (and sadly you don't need to keep it pressed for the engine to start).

The duration of the starter motor depends on the time especified in the HDV file in the following section:
    StarterTiming=(X, Y, Z)

And the values means (in seconds):
    X = How much time will last the starter procedure
    Y = How much deviation you could apply to the X value
    Z = How much time the VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING will continue to play after a sucessfully engine startup.

Just to make it clear:
    StarterTiming=(5, 2, 1)

From 3 to 7 seconds could take me to start the engine (a random calculation is done every time you begin the process. Min: X - Y or Max: X + Y).
    And for last the VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING will be played 1 second AFTER the engine have start up and will be gradually fading out (mixed with the engine idle sound).

How to do a manual engine startup process (if someone may want to know)
    1) Ignition On
    2) Fuel Pump On (only 3 seconds then off)
    3) Starter On (yes with the fuel pump off)
    4) Once the engine have started turn the fuel pump on again

Could sound off topic, but this is also the process for starting up the engines in planes (not modern jets or those turbo-props with electronic fuel injection).

Why you turn off the fuel pump ?
    Because you will not know for sure exactly how much time your engine will take to start up, so is better safe to turn the pump off and then on again.
    If the pump keeps working before the engine start up you could drown the engine (too much fuel), or you could be able to start the engine anyways spitting flames (that could go out from the tailpipe or from the carburator's air intake)

I totally agree with thouse who looks for more sound's definitions. I would suggest the following parameters to be added (some as been posted already).

ENGINE SHUTDOWN
    ENGINE CRANKING
    STARTER MOTOR
    FUEL PUMP
    TURBO (for proper spool up & down)
    SUPERCHARGER
    NITROUS OXIDE (that could be used with temporary boost key assigment or power demand)
    ENGINE DAMAGE
    CARDAN DAMAGE
    GEARBOX DAMAGE
    SUSPENCION DAMAGE
    WIPERS ON WET & DRY WINDSHIELDS
    ROLLING WITH FLAT TIRE (I don't remember if this one already exist, I'm confused with the default one used when u roll over a hard surface with the rim but without a tire)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That is engine.ini option, for example rTrainer:
    rtrainer_engine.ini
    It is not HDV option, don't know if it works also in HDV, but it is engine.ini where that option is originally found, imo.

19. dandar

dandar Registered

My mistake, you are right.

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but the forum search engine shows this thread only, searching for VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTER

Could that be, that this parameter (VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTER and VS_OUTSIDE_ENGINE_STARTER) isn`t working?
    I have set both, but rF2 is playing both sounds, VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTER and VS_INSIDE_ENGINE_STARTING togehter, while pressing the start button. Pressing the ingnition button is without any sounds...

Setting engine.ini: StarterTiming=(0.4, 0.2, 2.1)