[REL] Caterham7 Classic 1.4K-Series

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by MikeeCZ, Nov 8, 2016.

1. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

excellent job Mike, most fun I've had driving a sim car in years and bringing back fond memories of racing Cats in the WRR league.
    Superb races against the AI at knockhill and it may even tempt me back to online racing again.

Linus27 likes this.
  2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Awesome drive. :cool:

MikeeCZ and MaD_King like this.
  3. Bernd W.

Bernd W. Registered

This car is really amazing, it feels so alive. Many thanks for this masterpiece!

4. Magus

Magus Registered

Thank you so much to all involved for this wonderful mod. Only got round to trying it today for a brief moment around Brands Hatch Indy and instantly felt the quality of the cars. Looking forward to spending some proper race time with them.

5. lokidan

lokidan Registered

Possibly the best caterham in all sim racing!! Ive seen this around brands and its tight bumper to bumper racing just like in RF2! Amazing mod! T300 GTE here smoothing at 2 no shuddering. AMS Cats are a little more powerful yet more stable you can really get the back out on this one in a comntrolled manner! Cheers

* one thing is the shadows at low light controlled by mod? as its a bit simple under the cars (a little square)

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Very easy to drive sideways and recover, even with my steering wheel. Carefully made and packaged, congratulations on your mod.

Just need more livery options to fill the grid with the AI, and have all car thumbnails be in the exact same spot.

7. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

If someone tries the LSD i would recommend reduce coast to 90 deg so you don't get that understeer.

bravotangosix likes this.
  8. yoss

yoss Registered

9. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Merci Yoss. Been there, done that...but in a renta Corolla diesel. Still felt like an adventure, though. Great memory, Ventoux :)

10. Linus27

Linus27 Registered

Hi Mike,

Great to see the Caterhams finally make it to RF2. I've given them a test and they feel great. Like Lasercutter above, I ran the Caterhams for 4 - 5 years in WR Racing. We were kind of the test bed for the mod for Major Parts and Cubits and were running different versions than the public release and testing new things out for them.

The main car that we ran was the Roadsport which had a little more power but not too much to make it undriveable. It provided incredibly close racing every time. It was the same spec as the real race car. If you were going to release another version then this would be my choice.

Finally, a tribute video I made some years back showing off the league, cars, racing and thanking Major Parts, Cubits and many others. Hope you enjoy and thanks for the great mod.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Hey Linus, thanks for the vid, pretty cool to see how much activity the original caused. I never really raced rF1 at all so by saying "The Roadsport" doesnt really tell me much. I believe that the current cat is pretty good for close racing (had some of that myself already online since the release) Feel free to give it a go, as i said, if the demand is high enough, i will consider something very similar or perhabs even a bit more racier, than what i can see on the video, but i cant really tell what exact spec is that just from the video

12. Linus27

Linus27 Registered

Hi Mike, apologies, I've just checked and it was the Caterham Academy spec car that we ran and the main model that Major Parts and Cubits was working on and released to the public. It uses the 1.6 Rover K Series engine and followed the Caterham Academy regulations, right down to the mandatory decal placement.

We did run the Classic originally for a season or two which I guess is what your mod is based on but I think because they focused on the Academy model, we just followed suit.

I tried your mod the the other day and it is amazing. Brought big smiles to my face and reminded me of the old days of racing them. A keeper for sure. I have all the old skins as well if they are any good to you. They are in .dds format.

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

1.6 is almost identical to 1.4, and the default setup is compliant to the academy rules which dont allow to run anything less than 14cm ride height, you will notice that the default front is at 14.5 cm, that is what the academy racers usually set their cars to as they sag down by rouhly 0.5cm after few hours. (not implemented in rF2)
    So the only difference where would be little bit grippier tyres.. and that is about it really (apart from the rollbar which in our mod is stock, where the racers have much beefier, also heavier, all around roll cage)
    ¨That is why i put many things into upgrades, and not as part of setup, so the leagues can force certain parts to be used, which they cannot do if it was in setup

14. Linus27

Linus27 Registered

Yeah I guess the handling wasn't that much different apart from a lot more grip. However, there was a noticeable difference in power and grunt. The 1.4 Classic seemed gutless and pedestrian compared to the Academy. We never went back to the Classic as it was just too slow.

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

1.6L had 117ish HP, if we are still speaking classics, there are other versions of that 1.6L that outputs more. So if it was roadsport, it could ve been 135HPish.. i dont believe that extra ~12HP would give the car "noticable difference in power and grunt" so the engine you are referring to might ve been roadsport, but you said it was classic, so that makes me think something does not sound right. I hear you tho. The 1.4L Classic is basically underpowered by design, yet, even with this power, the can get loose very easily, that will be amplified even more with more HP unless we use stickier tyres or wider rears, and academy uses all season street tyres not that disimilar from what our mod uses (a bit more grip is basically the only difference) Making another set of tires is a LOT of work by the way, and we got quite lucky for the ones we have to turn out so great. You do need to manage them well or the ovesteer will be too much to handle in later laps.

16. Linus27

Linus27 Registered

Yeah, it handle brilliantly. So easy to get it to move about but doesn't snap either so just like the real thing. You have done a great job.

17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Thank you sir

18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I test drove a standard 1.4 on the road and it was a gutless disappointment, I then bought a 1.4 Supersport with about 10 BHP more (cams, exhaust and engine map) which was a lot more sporty and could hold its own fairly well on a track day with more powerful 7s. Later I fitted 1.8 engine and added the Supersport kit, this was noticeably more powerful but most especially had a load more torque - with the standard gearbox the 1.4 had to be revved to the limit in 1st and then fell off the cam in 2nd (that's why Caterham developed the close ratio 6 speed box).

Hi to lasercutter and Linus27 - many happy hours spent at WR Racing :) Glad to see my car in the video!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  19. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

My reading is that 1.4 Supersport does 130HP (extra 25HP over this version) which would make quite a bit of difference. (altho sources vary and also the output varies on many variables)
    I will not make stronger engines on these tyres.. there is just no point, they wont be able to take it. Did you try to do full lengh race on this mod yet? If you have, you will see how difficult it is to baby the rears to get to the end without getting scorched even with just 105HP. I will look into the possibility of coming up with some stickier ones, but if i do go there, it will be probably MegaGraduates or SigMaxGraduates, (I would like to keep the headlights and MegaGraduates remove them for aerodynamics) I will keep you posted

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Just thought guys that I will give you an idea of how did/does the mod do. Some of you might find it interesting, I certainly do.
    Again if you dont care, skip :p
    The car has been out for 55 days.
    2844 Unique people visited the workshop page with the car. From those 2518 poeple have subscribed to the car out of which 203 unsubbed again. This is roughly 8% of poeple and I consider that great result.
    25 People has marked the car as their favourite, 2 of which unmarked again.
    62 People rated the car, 1 of which was a negative rate, so the mod is sitting at 98% positive rating.

Sadly i did not see the car gaining much popularity in multiplayer. To the best of my limited knowledge there has been only handful of race events with it with a very low attendance. This shows me that spending time on a bit racier versions would probably not be the best way how to spend it. I will be putting out minor update at some point, but so far the only two issues worth fixing appear to be fuel consumption tweak and custom skins issue.

I just wanted to say Thank you for your amazing appreciation. It is very rewarding to also contribute to this fantastic sim.

tjc, MarcG, hexagramme and 10 others like this.