Recurrent NVIDIA Driver Crashes and Erratic GPU Usage

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ECAR_Tracks, May 9, 2016.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

My theory is that the crahes relate to omni lights. Le Mans has a huge number of omnis defined, I reckon it had around 200 in total, and a night lit Singapore which I converted some time ago was prone to crashes as well. I assume ISI Monaco 1966 has dense omnis as well since it's a street circuit.

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That would be awesome :D

Ahh okay, interesting.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

ECAR, those crashes don't happen if you run ONLY the AI. I can make AI run for hours without any issues. The problem is when you drive by yourself, online or offline, crashes happen randomly and more often, specially towards the end of race.

Cheers!

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, I ran my Singapore track for hours with AI without issues. It's definitely at least more likely to happen when you drive yourself, maybe because Nvidia driver offloads some of the calculations to CPU, and player physics tax the CPU more.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Should be vice versa...afaik rF2 use more cpu for the AI and more gpu for the human player

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Are you claiming that rF2 player car physics are calculated on GPU? AFAIK that's never done unless a game uses something like PhysX. The CPU usage graph (Ctrl+C) goes down when you press I button to let AI take over you car, AI uses the rF1 tire model so it's much less CPU intensive.

7. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

8. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

My case was different, It was happening either I driving or AI driving at the same level of occurrence. Maybe you're having an additional issue (CPU or steering wheel driver bug). GPU issues should occur to AI or human driver in a same way. Anyway you might try my v1.00 and see what happens with it.

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Agreed

#55 Registered

The sim centre I was helping out at - all running 980's or 980 Ti's - has solved the problem!

15 x RX480's were bought and the night crashing at Estoril, Dubai, Interlagos, Le Mans Bugatti instantly disappeared.

I know that doesn't help anyone really in the short term with 900 series cards but at least we've isolated the issue to the card.

11. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

It would be nice if some of your mates had tested v1.00 of Bugatti before migrate to ATI at least to address if the issue has gone, up the moment I have zero crashes and no reported drivers crashes after my track rework and published as 1.00 version. But all in all the important thing is you guys can race now.

#55 Registered

I am still running a 980 Ti in my rig at home, so I will give this a go for you over the weekend. Unfortunately, various races are scheduled and we didn't fancy another long two weeks running stability tests for 15 hours a day again with a deadline looming.

13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Not sure if it's coincidence or not but after my new system build+windows fresh install for three months i had absolutely no problems with rF2. Now the BIG question... after install Assetto Corsa and Raceroom i started have black screen freezes again! Do you think there's any relation about installing any of those games and rF2 black screen freezes? All was doing well before installing them!

Track: Barbagallo 1.7 (Race2Play current used version)
    Car: BTCC Honda Civic

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I had issues with erratic gpu usage and solved it with setting pre-render frames to 4 in the nvidia control panel. Just leaving this here for others to test/check if such a problem comes up.

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

That will add a lot of input lag...

I just hope a patch will come soon, as i've read they've identified the issue, bit tired of those annoying rF2 problems...

16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I know, but I'm faster with a bit of lag compared to stuttery images, tearing and stuff...

Would love to get this fixed, too.

Rui Santos likes this.
  17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I have no tearing, i'm on a 144Hz monitor with a GTX 980, problem are the black screen freezes...

And i can't drive with input lag...

18. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

As far as i know screen tearing is mostly due to the monitor.

With 144hz low lag monitors you don't have noticable tearing or tearing at all.
    They handle a big range of refresh rates.
    If i want i can vsync my benq's at 50, 60, 75, 90, 100, 120 and 144.

Some monitors only have 60.

Rui Santos likes this.
  19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Don't want to add more confusion, but I am running with 4 frames pre-rendered and driver crashes (375.95). This became too annoying so that I started to search for a cure and found this thread. I am seeing crashes on RaceRfactor Austria GP 2.05 today, other tracks too. My subjective observation, that happens more in rain.

Sorry if this has been answered (long thread), but is there any setting that reduces the crash?

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yep, use 1 pre rendered frame...