Will a High End Racing Wheel make you a better driver?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Nov 4, 2016.

?

Will a Direct Drive Racing Wheel make you a better driver?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    55.0%
  3. Maybe (Explain)

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yes, I do. It is let's call it lesser evil until I get better pedals.

At the back I think. It was long time ago. :p But 90 % sure that at the back.

Flaux likes this.
  2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I don't like the on/off feel from the soft spring to the rubbercone. That's why I have mine at the begining. It makes trailbraking very difficult. But that's another story... Thx for the answer!

Ronnie likes this.
  3. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yup. That's what makes it frustrating for me. It's obvious that I'm gonna buy better ones sooner or later. Depends on my budget and options that I will have. One thing is certain. HE are out of equation. Price is too steep. :p But they are beyond awesome!

Flaux likes this.
  4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Yep HE's are awesome, tried them at rFactor 2 stand at the simracing expo. I think it was Marcels rig standing there with Simsteering wheel and HE's the wheel didn't impress me that much although butterly smooth compared to my small Mige but those pedals......WOW

Ronnie likes this.
  5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Right?!

Once you try them you can never go back. I've tried few pedals in my life but they are on the top. If I don't end up with what is for me the next best thing which in my opinion are PT-1 pedals, I might end up with with CSP v2 or v3 if I get those with dampers included from ebay or somewhere else. They are way above T3PA but also way below HE pedals. It is art of compromise.

Eddy likes this.
  6. Led566

Led566 Registered

My answer is Yes.
    Interestigly enough you made the digital camera example in your video.
    Two of the biggest differences between cheap smartphone cameras and DSLRs are:
    1. Dynamic range of the sensor
    2. Shooting lag
    Those are differences that, if you are able to understand and exploit, makes you a better photographer since day one (provided you already have some artistic skill).

If you compare an OSW to a Fanatec or Thrustmaster, it's the same: dynamic range and response lag.
    Those two makes you a better and more consistent driver since day one.

7. David Greco

David Greco Registered

Not to my experience. A good driver is fast and consistent whatever the wheel might be. What it will help you is, how soon will you get to that limit, but that's it. If you talk to me about feeling and enjoy your time driving sims, then yes, a Direct Drive with pedals like the HE and a good cockpit is going to make a day to night difference! If I hadn't gone for at least the CSW V2, I would have left simracing a few years ago. Next step is a DD wheel, because, feeling wise, the CSW V2 is not enough anymore.

Edit: Fast and consistent to me is synonym of being a good driver, and it the only "metric" for me to measure a driver's ability.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Flaux likes this.
  8. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

In my case, after switching from Fanatec CSW to DD wheel, my times got faster from day one. IMO it was the limitations of the hardware used, there are so many details and responsiveness in DD wheel that I couldn't feel as much on the CSW. I think I have reached the limit of CSW where I couldn't improve much more. Whereas on DD wheel the range of forces provided are greater and more direct, I could feel them sooner and react much better, feeling the grip and traction better while driving on the limit, shaving of those tenths and seconds sometimes (when comparing to my old times).

I can also agree with @Led566 too about Digital Camera since my brother is into photography, if you have better equipment, you can make better photos and videos (that you used to do). If you are limited to the hardware, when you reach that limit you don't have more room to improve.

Let's say, if Fernadno Alonso and Lewis Hamilton switch their F1 cars, who would perform better and be faster? Would it be Alonso with better equipment or Hamilton who is limited with lesser one?

Ok, maybe it's not so relevant example while there are much more important variables then comparing just wheels, but the point is mostly about hardware limitations and whether you can express your skills better by using better hardware.

Goanna likes this.
  9. iev35

iev35 Registered

It is more difficult to take the perfect apex with 25 Nm than with 5Nm IMHO.

10. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Yes it made me quicker and more consistent but only with rF2 / AC .

11. Led566

Led566 Registered

Never used my OSW at 100%.
    Except maybe with the AC Cobra mod.
    rF2 tipical values ingame for me (GT mods) are 40-50%, just what professional drivers told to be similar to real life forces:

Dynamic Range and low lag is still there.

Narrowbackwing and Eddy like this.
  12. iev35

iev35 Registered

Depends on what car you drive of course.
    Just an example why I said It is more difficult to take the perfect apex with 25 Nm than with 5Nm IMHO and More you are near the ""reality"" more it's difficult.;)

13. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

A strong High End wheel will not have mercy, when flatspotting a tire or hitting big kerbs.

14. iev35

iev35 Registered

+1,t'es pas sur rfr boblevieux,il me semble avoir déjà vu ce pseudo?!:)

15. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

16. iev35

iev35 Registered

Ok,me semble bien qu'on a fait une course ensemble,bon fin du hs en frenchy :D

17. Donnie

Donnie Registered

Hi guys,

As said on the first post ... High end wheels helps for immersion and feeling, but if you don't know what an apex is, you won't be faster ^_^
    Could improve driving for people who already have a solid driving base, that's all !

Cheers \o/

rer8 and iev35 like this.
  18. rer8

rer8 Registered

I replaced my Logitech G27 with a Fanatec CS Formula wheel and V3 pedals. The immersion may be better and the pedals were a significant improvement. I concur with Donnie's observation above and would add that added confidence in your system may cause you to study "race craft" (suggest Going Faster) and hopefully you will learn to drive a better race line. If hours of practice, study and skill development interest you, you will probably see some improvement. The reality is that your old G27 or whatever can do the same job.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Bit late to the party here, but I'll add my own two cents:

I'm a guitar player. I have a music degree and was a music teacher at a college in the UK. My first guitar was a basic one. It was playable, but when it came to playing anything beyond Green Day and basic rock stuff was difficult because of the quality of the instrument. Then I 'upgraded' to a slightly better quality instrument, and the more difficult stuff became easier to play because the instrument was better. Was I better? I was still sloppy, but there was less frustration when it came to playing it. I could now play Guns N Roses, The Darkness, Metallica etc.

I now own a more high end guitar, and it was a significant investment. Am I a guitar god NOW? No, if anything, I'm only slightly better in terms of technique, but I sound better, I make fewer mistakes and it's an absolute joy to play.

So in short: a better rig should make driving more consistent because the inputs will be more precise, but you still gotta make the effort to get better. If you gave me John Mayer's setup with a $250k Dumble amplifier and vintage Stratocasters and a plethora of pedals would I be as good or sound like John Mayer? Or Slash? Course not.

Guimengo likes this.
  20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I think a good monitor makes you improve a lot more than a good steering wheel (not a TV)

patchedupdemon and elcoco like this.