[REL] Formula BMW (ex iDT)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Thanks for the templates iDTDoug. As per Slow Motions post (#20) I would recommend NOT using the supplied helmet template though, but instead ISI's 2014 Helmet template. It seems I already had these templates from rF1 days! They were unusual then for being hi-res 2048x2048.

2. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Haha! No worries then. It just looked different :) Thanks again for all your work

3. bwana

bwana Registered

thanks for notes, agree with adding caster for mid turn wheel weight and the AI are very very good. I was actually getting quite ****ty with a few of them at AMP as they wouldnt give me an inch but also drove really well wheel to wheel.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So the mid-turn wheel weight is not an indication of a physics issue? Just adjust it away with more caster?

5. bwana

bwana Registered

Perhaps an issue similar to Isi dallara but if it works then no major issue. I generally add caster to default sets straight up either way..

6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Marc, bwana, I think you both are right, because for sure an higher degree of caster "fixes" it and at the same time the word "fixes" means that there could be a minor issue in the physics of the steering wheel / suspensions geometry.
    But I think to know the why and it isn't fault of rFactor2 code, BUT it is our "fault", because we developed a private tool that allows to generate the rF2 style steering wheel WITHOUT the need of the Physics Spreadsheet of ISI, but only reading the autogenerated Chassis.ini.
    This is a great step ahead without doubt, but we need to tune the tool and we need some detailed info about the code of rF2 and how it manages some formula: without this info we cannot do better than we have done.
    And I have no info about the detailed data of the suspensions geometry of the real car, so I cannot compare it with the mod. AND in any case this wasn't my intention, because I "converted" and "adapted" the rF1 to rF2 version.
    One more thing I would add is that we, for the first time ever, by our tool, generated the "Variable Steer Ratio", that I think will become a standard in the next future.

Before someone asks for the tool, I can only say that is private, that I wasn't the developer and that, in case, you could contact me privately.
    Thank you.

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks slow motion, as a conversion its great and glad you have had success with the tool.. As with all things rf2 its development by guys like you that advance the sim through mod/tool development.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  8. tpw

tpw Registered

Slow motion, thank you so much for bringing these excellent cars to rF2. They look, sound and handle wonderfully, and make it feel like you're doing 320kmh when you're doing 180kmh!

I'm not sure if the issue is real, but I feel that the AI in these cars are quite a handful. I have absolutely no hope against them on track/difficulty settings that I am quite competitive with in Skippies or FR3.5: they dive bomb and rear end without hesitation, pass on the grass up the inside, and massively outbreak me into turns. Obviously I can just turn the difficulty down and get a less frustrating race, but I thought I'd bring your attention to it anyway.

As someone who prefers low powered open wheelers this mod has been a real bonus.

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/29799-Formula-BMW-(ex-iDT)?p=434325&viewfull=1#post434325

10. tpw

tpw Registered

11. Karei

Karei Registered

First of all, thanks for the mod.
    But is it me or the tyres don't heaten up? If you overdrive them, they warm up on one corner, then quickly go back to the 39-55°C range.
    Also static camber is a bit weird: -5.0 front is negative, -3.0 which is default gives you a higher inner tyre temp, -1.0 is positive camber.

12. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Karei, I can only say to read the post that I just highlighted above. About tires I think that for a car like this, not very powerful, they work correctly.

BTW, we have improved our tool for generating the rF2 steering wheel reading data from suspension and chassis and I can affirm that now the feedback is much better. Maybe in the future we'll release a new build but I'd like to investigate a little bit more on AIs behavior...

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

When racing against the AI I get a feeling that they have quite a big advantage, as they're able to brake much later, carry more speed and accelerate much earlier than me. It's as if they have more grip available to them.

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Sounds like a TGM-TBC offset

15. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Yes, the AI is disproportionately fast at quicker circuits.....at Putnam ok, Bugatti not so much...
    The car is good fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
  16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I tested at Mid Ohio and there the AI was unbeatable.

I agree, the car is wonderful to drive. The steering feels tight and responsive, and the ffb is great too.

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

As I wrote, I was thinking to release an update, because the steering wheel can be much better than the current version, due to the latest improvements to our tool, but for AIs I found few difficulties to keep AIs at the level of the human with the usual settings into the physics and I fixed quickly it increasing their overall tire's grip. But , because rF2 has a slider for setting the AIs just for increasing or decreasing their performances. If there is a slider, there will be a reason, lol.
    At the moment I have no whish to spend hours on tuning AIs vs. humans and I kindly ask you, if you want to race against AIs, to decrease their performance using the features that are available into rFactor2.
    Thank you.

18. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Indeed. I had to reduce the AI about 6% when compared to other cars. But it was well worth it and had a good few races Vs them.

19. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Very nice car! Great job. Now it deserves a sound update.

20. RoWo

RoWo Member

Nice mod, fun to drive. :)
    But I realized interesting graphics issue: the car has no "environment reflection" on non-ISI-tracks (e.g. Digga Senormen-Tracks). Is it just me or someone else has the same problem?