[REL] Formula BMW (ex iDT)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Slow Motion Group presents the Formula BMW!
    Under full authorization of iDT, authors of the rFactor1 version, the Formula BMW, that wrote the history of the entry level OW in the years 1998 - 2013 and still available for driving school, is now ready for rFactor2!
    Enjoy the amazing driving style of this car, that brings to you several improvements, like the CPM of last generation and the new "Variable Steer Ratio" for the advanced steering wheel.

View attachment 20828

The mod is available on Steam and here some links for the manual download and for notSteam version:
    https://mega.nz/#!vhAyxAyA!ESLKgCAM03TuwD8l9mQpZ8rXEUTfkc3nvZYzWTZFyuI
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/3o34scj1j4vpu1m/FormulaBMW_iDT_1.0.rfcmp
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gkeqgr43g8byuk/FormulaBMW_iDT_1.0.rfcmp?dl=0

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/29799-Formula-BMW-%28ex-iDT%29?p=434249&viewfull=1#post434249

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Thank you slowmo! As I love bmw I will try this mod. What type of engine is in the cars? Do you know?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

3. SripleTix

SripleTix Registered

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Really, really cannot wait to get home from work and try this!

5. Magus

Magus Registered

Thank you. Really like the slower open wheelers, so looking forward to trying this out.

6. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thank you Slow Motion. Gonna try asap

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks Slow motion, look forward to driving it!!

8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Thanks for going this conversion! Will give it a go once I get home from work :)

9. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

10. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Very nice - thank you to all involved. Is there a painting template that can be shared?

11. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

Template will be released shortly. I need to do some work on it.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Thanks! These cars are great fun.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Another wonderful and useful addition to rF2. Cars normal people have a hope of racing and perfecting :)

What transmission type do these cars have? I don't see a sequential stick or paddles in the cockpit. Given the use of a motorcycle engine, you might think a sequential similar to a bike. This one requires lifting between up-shifts.

The only oddity I can report is the steering feel/weight seems off. The car is suitably difficult to turn when stopped or moving slowly. At high speeds you can feel the modest down-force taking effect (it's not an F1 car!). But in the middle, where you would expect just a small amount of aero and mostly mechanical grip, the steering is lighter than when piddling around corners at very slow speeds. I expect the steering to weight-up at these higher speeds as the wheels attempt to return to a straight position.

14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

The engine was sourced from BMW's motorcycle division: it is a near-standard K1200RS motorcycle engine, in an inline four-cylinder configuration, with a capacity of 1171 cc, and a power output of 140 hp (100 kW). Drive is through a single-plate clutch and a six-speed sequential gearbox, produced by Hewland. The complete car weighs 455 kg without fuel and driver. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_BMW )

15. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

Templates available here.

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Go to the Upgrades Screen, you'll see the Gear-Lever on the right lower Site of the Cockpit.

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Well, I'm very pleased to see the mod seems interesting to the community. iDT made a great job years and years ago!

I would like to give few clarifications, as I did in the Steam client:

- the physics was developed years ago by iDT and, respecting their job that I must say was really good, we adapted the physics to rF2, improving it to the new code, but without changing what was the essence of the mod. In the end changes where mainly on default settings, increasing the caster (because this is an OW) and just a little the breaking torque. Then we added the latest version of the CPM and, for the first time in rFactor2, the Variable Steer Ratio.
    - in effect AIs with the default value are fast, but you can decrease their performances and later, depending of track and rubbering... and the knowledge and skill in driving this car, you will have great challenges. I found that, for several reasons, changing coefficients to have the AIs slower than now, the corner speed wasn't appropriate.

Here I add, regarding the steering wheel, that OWs can run caster also at 7 degrees and more... and this can be of great help.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Many thanks slowmo. :)

19. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Took it out for a few laps last night and it is a great rF2 mod. I forgot how good of a mod it is.

One thing that I did notice or request. Would it be possible to get the rF2 default driver model, or just the helmet, on this car? The helmet on this car just seems a bit off, a bit dated, in a way. It looks a little compressed.

Anyways, great job!

20. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

The helmet is the latest rF2 one and in fact it works with its default "special" names, just to can paint / personalize it. Also if "latest" means the latest helmet released by ISI in the 2014
    The driver is a new one, but it uses the same template of the rF2 driver dated 2013, same names, etc...