VR and rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Sep 17, 2016.

?

VR and rF2

1. You own an HTC Vive

4.8%
  2. You own an Oculus Rift

26.2%
  3. You own a Vive AND a Rift

0.8%
  4. You don't own a VR headset, but intend to buy

32.5%
  5. You don't own a VR headset, but do not intend to buy

35.7%
  1. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Really? I guess I never noticed that. So we're looking at a Dirt Rally situation? Where the car is literally cut in half and only has two wheels when you're in the cockpit?

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I guess that as long as you can still have the rF2 on screen displays (e.g. Position/damage/pit stop etc.) - and support overlays such as the Trackmap plugin, all should be well. Most of my controls are on the F1 wheel and I rarely use the button box during the race itself.

Trackmap (I use it primarily for car data such as fuel usage, suspension performance etc rather than for the actual on-track position mapping) might be a challenge as I spread the widgets over the triple displays - I'd be interested to see how cluttered/intrusive/readable they would be with the FOV and resolution of a VR headset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don't like to use any floating info boxes except a small pedal check level & who is front& behind stat.

With VR now coming to Rf2 I guess it's fairly important that cars do have the backs attached to them
    & in the case of wheel dials they real matches virtual ( graphically turn not froze )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

If you press "U" key you can rotate the camera in cockpit and everything of the car is present. It just won't show in the mirrors for some reason (I think in rF1 it did, so can't be a difficult thing to fix).

5. Comante

Comante Registered

The new DX11 engine that will power RF2 could (or could not) resolve this old mirror issue, we will have to wait and see. The way it is modeled now is to be effective to see behind and use less resources possible, with a partial sacrifice to realism.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I have a rift DK2 I also have a motion rig with 3 projectors and 2,65m curved (around 155 degrees) screen surface. For warping and edge blending I use immersive display pro.
    I like my curved screen more then the rift because with the rift I got not the feeling of natural dimensions due the limitations of image quality and FOV (tested with Dirt Rally).
    IMO rift or vive is better then a single screen maby also better the a standard triple screen solution but with the current technical limitations of pixel densitiy on small displays, the limited FOV
    and the motion sickness possibility it's not the universal solution.
    But IMO this technology has a big future and I would like to see rF2 support for VR which is finally announced :)

7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?p=421073

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Phew. That's a relief.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Thanks, those pics explain why "self in rearview" is not enabled by default. With current mirror position/projection it wouldn't be usable, hopefully it won't need an update to all mods.

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Yes i tried it back then when it was in the build notes. But it was distracting like it was as can be seen on the pics

11. Robes

Robes Registered

Just to give my brief two pence on this.

VR is a game changer. I understand that it's not affordable for everyone, but I can safely say that I simply have no intention of racing a sim without VR implemented. Even at this stage VR is simply mindblowing - I am actually racing these cars!

I'd urge anyone who hasn't managed to try it to give it a go - for sim racing it's just absolutely incredble. I'm overjoyed that RF2 will support VR, we need as many copmanies to support this technology to ensure it gets a foothold in the market.