rFactor 2 gets a boost as ISI announce a partnership with Luminis

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 16, 2016.

1. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Modders have always had to deal with missing data that they've needed to use rules of thumb or common sense to fill in. Building tires for the new system is just another. Same as it was, same as will be. You either use it as an excuse to stop, or you work your way through it. For me kicking your feet and crying about it shows that you have a "can't mindset". This is what is actually stopping people, not a new tire model or lack of data.

2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

As the game engine becomes more sophisticated and complex to model (and offering better accurate results in simulation in response to) it's natural to take many more hours of work from content creators. Modding is leaving the "hobby" condition as it demand professional work on it due the complexity of new simulators (flight, racing, etc).

I created a track from very scratch that took me 540 hours (yes, I have an Excel spreadsheet to manage lol). After to learn all techniques, I could recreate that in, say, 400 hours (with best results as well). A simple rF1 track wouldn't take me more than 100 hours.

Question is, how many people are up to give way 400 hours of their own manpower for free? It's more than 2 months of full dedication (8 hours per day). When it's a pure hobby would be the answer, but I can't see as a hobby anymore IF you have compromise with fidelity on your created content. And, for new cars which new tyre model, you can expect even less disposal for it.

3. Promag

Promag Registered

You can't stop progress, eventually you will build a mod for "Not RF12", test it at Spa, then turn on your 3d printer and hopefully it will be ready for track day. ;)

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's a lot of BS... it is not about an "can't mindseld" (really... what the heck!), it is about if it's worth or not to put so much time into building something that will give you literally nothing in return when you can just use other sims that has content developed by the devs. Time is precious man... modders aren't slaves...

5. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

If you're good, it can become your job too. There are worse things than turning your hobby into a job.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Exactly and I'm all for people start selling mods when they build it by their own. ISI/S397 should really focus on this and try to put some mods on Steam as DLC to make it easier to buy. But my post is obviously about people that do mods for free.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I swear, the tyres where not the real problem! (But personally I still believe that the rF1-tyre would had helped maybe, but to a short percentage) The graphics was. (as often stated in forums)
    As I said: Modding is also a presentation-thing and many modders turned their back on rF2 as soon as they noticed that it graphics-wise lead to "nowhere".

8. lordpantsington

Literally, "I can't do this because it is not worth it." is just another excuse to stop or never start. I don't see those that are actually producing things make excuses about how they can't.

9. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Literally it's their lives and choices. I'm not sure why people are here to argue about the reason other people choose not to make mods and whether that reason is valid or not since the sim racing community are a bunch of tightwads that want other people to work hundreds of hours for them for free and then complain about the motivations of those people.

10. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Guys, please stay on the topic.

This is not right thread to discuss about modders motivation.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Agreed, rf2 now has a decent amount of good content from modern f1 to historics right down to go karts
    And tracks for each

More than enough to keep me going for a long long while , I can stick to one main sim car for years as long as there are 5 to 8 decent tracks to go with i

Wouldn't bother me if there wasn't another single new mod just polish up existing ones where needed

Cue the dx11 overhaul ....nice! ( & VR of course )

12. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I wouldn't agree very much, aside URD there's nothing on Multiclass racing, for example. In the same period rF1 has a dozen of good Prototype + GT mods. rF1 trounces F2 in terms of content and I doubt it will be different someday.

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

This will arrive one day with http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24636-Endurance-Series-rF2 but the work on physics and the associated tests are longer on rF2 than rF1 because of the new feature added.

14. lordpantsington

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'd happily buy quality DLC especially laser scanned tracks

zero hesitation, its good to contribute to a good cause ( further development of rf2 & quality DLC )

16. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

My greatest wish is that is does not change the foundation of rfactor 2, it is the best SIM with the best driving experience on the market. Graphics and more features are certainly required to move to rfactor to more people. However, this should be done without compromise.

17. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I read a lot of users on the forums, talking about lifetime license and non lifetime one...so I had a couple of ideas...

Lifetime License can be changed in a Dlc season pass, like Reiza did with their indiegogo campaign, could be a great way to say thanks to all the lifetime buyers wich followed rF2 during this years and moved to steam (for some of them was a pain, really, I don't understand this but some of them still don't sleep because of this...)

After that, multiplayer should be free (supporting dedicated servers) for all but there will be an extra service too, wich you need to pay subscription, like this...

Thanks to Luminis background, we can have a portal online (that can be used in-game too) with this services:

- subscribers can create any server (a system like Left4dead 2 servers) with their favourite settings, cars and tracks but open only to subscribers (a sort of server on demand sevice for subscribers).
    - rating system free for all, but only subscribers can compare their stats for every race with other racers
    - subscribers can record and save their race and evaluate it thanks to online telemetry service
    - subscribers can have and share a team page (like battlefield platoons) where they can save setups, exchange them or promote their events...
    -...subscribers can be hired from virtual ingame teams like on real life (something like Toca or Grid system but with real people)...
    - ...thanks to team management pages, we can have championship events where each team can join with their squad and battle other teams with auto championship score system for drivers and teams...
    - and so on...

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Biggest pain is that users with metered connections have no means of managing when Steam/game updates occur, so our bandwidth is used up unexpectedly and that is $$$ over the course of a year.

Second is Steam's track record of losing accounts or having accounts hacked. As people get more used to online transactions and Steam improves, this is less of an issue than it used to be. Still, the fact is there are people who are locked out of what they purchased.

Third is the fact of having a third-party in the middle of your transactions with the company (ISI and now Studio397). Occasionally this leads to finger-pointing when trying to resolve a problem.

Fourth is that a few people are not connected all the time to the Internet. Installing Steam, for them, feels like a pointless exercise.

I feel that ISI/Studio397 are well aware of these issues and do their best to mitigate them while still moving forward. Sometimes that means losing a few customers in order to improve the service for the majority.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That is what 2-step authentication is for and a strong password that is changed regularly.

20. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Interesting point. Does this mean that those of us who only connect to internet periodically are probably going to have to plan time for updating before we can actually play? Any other surprises associated with Steam?