rFactor 2 Armed with a BIG Announcement for Simracing Expo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magus, Sep 15, 2016.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Well if you read the quote below it quite clearly states that Studio 397 now owns the full brand of rF2, so practically that means they will continue moving "project rF2" forward, ISI will work on "not rF3". I guess ISI can still share some advice and co-operate on that level with them, but it would be difficult either way for a company on the other side of the world to develop rF2 in parallel with ISI.

"Just to clarify some details on the partnership: Studio 397 owns the full IP (sourcecode) and brand for rFactor 2. Studio 397 is fully owned by by Luminis. The content team from ISI moved to Studio 397. ISI still owns (and sublicenses) rFactor 1. The ISI developers in Ann Arbor are working on their next project, dubbed as "not rF3". Rogue System is also still part of ISI."

ISI had only a couple of guys programming rF2, especially after Juliano left for Rogue System and Miller left a year ago(?). The reason this move was done was to speed up development of rF2, I don't think it can get slower from what it has been the last 12 months or so.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Compared to?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. TJones

TJones Registered

My concern is not about graphic or user-interface deveolpment. But physic part. I know ISI is one of the, if not THE top player when it comes to vehicle and tyre physic. I dont know nuch from Luminis here. Their work on Automobilista might be good (dont know what they did exacly).

Deveolpment could always get slower down to complete stop. :)

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Some of the ISI content creators aren't in the US anyway.

5. Ft5fTL

Ft5fTL Registered

Well they developed Automobilista with Reiza which has the physics guru Niels Heusinkveld if i remember correctly. I think they will handle the code and the 3d work while ISI content creators do the physics.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2016
  6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

All of them aren't U.S. based, except Scott/Michael Juliano.

7. Depco

Depco Registered

So do the rF2 forums get moved to Studio 397 website?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I very much think physics-wise they aren't going to reinvent the wheel, nor do they need to. With AMS they took the rF1 physics and increased the frequency, which is obviously an improvement but (at this stage at least) they haven't tried to change how it works. It would seem silly to, because if it's not rF2 level it's never more than second-best.

I doubt anyone would bother trying to rewrite or tweak the physics stuff in rF2, everyone knows how good it is in that regard, it's really everything around it that needs polishing. Down the track as CPU capability improves I think it would suffice to do what has been done with rF1 - increase the sampling frequency for the physics, keep the same base model, and no one really would have any reason to complain.

Certainly from a league point of view, personally, rF2 was immediately enough of a step in this area to move to it as soon as it was stable, and remains the only real option over 4 years later despite still lacking some 'features' that have been, or could be, added to rF1 in the way that gets done. The rF1 model is still a strong base, so I don't see why the rF2 physics base can't still be near the top in 10 years. Of course there are little additions that would improve it, and ISI will probably make more deep-rooted improvements over the years that may filter to rF2 (?), but the physics we have right now with some wet-weather improvements, with more 'racing' features (rulesets, weekend structure, safety car improvements) and flashy graphics would surely do the job for a long time yet.

9. Depco

Depco Registered

Maybe ISI is getting out of the Simracing business. They finished their work on the physics of rF2 and deemed it to be done enough to move onto "Not rF3". While they still own the rF1 IP I recall them selling the source code some time ago. It sounds to me like they sold rF2 Lock, Stock, and Barrel. It sounds more like a complete sell off or absorption of the coders, IP, and Source code as apposed to a "Partnership". I suspect that announcement of a partnership was more of a way to ease into the users accepting that ISI is not developing rF2 any more.

When ISI finished rF1 (B1255G?) They stopped working on it and it and moved on to developing rF2. I am sure it was not a finish one and then start the one. I am sure there was developmental overlap and rF1 development slowed as rF2 picked up. But the point is that ISI is done developing rF2. Instead of licensing it like they did with rF1 (Sounds like no one wanted to license it in the same manner as rF1) they decided to simply sell it and move on.

Personally I am looking forward to the hopefully improved development cycle of rF2. I love this sim and think it needs alot more attention than what a small studio like ISI can bring to it. I have seen numerous posts about having ISI rF2 physics with AC or PCars graphics... THis may be more of a reality in the hands of a developer who is not solely physics based.

I am also looking forward to seeing what ISI is doing with "not rF3".

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

11. Depco

Depco Registered

Thanks for the links... so much information to take in... I'm giddy with excitement for rF2's future.

12. pas74

pas74 Registered

mhhh..i read the interview....i hope they will not use the old tyre-model in rf2...... please noooo!!!!

13. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Don't think they will do it for official content

Gesendet von meinem LG-K520 mit Tapatalk

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The interview suggests that modders may be allowed to use the old tire model. Nowhere does it state that official content will revert to the old model.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And a modder would only do it if they felt unable to get the new model to a point where it was better than the old one. It's not like there'd be any incentive to do it - obviously a lot of people would stay away purely for that reason.

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

I hope that quality of tracks in particular, doesnt fall. Time = money and I hope the new company doesnt start to settle for 'good enough' in favour of costs.

17. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

If a tire brush model can reappear in "Magic Formula", it is not a mistake that return to the old tire model.
    In that case, it will be necessary for Studio397(or ISI) to prepare a generation sheet of the tire….

sorry, my bad English.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

To clarify on the rf1 tire model comment (hope Marcel doesn't mind me copying this here from RD):

Marcel Offermans

If I may clarify my thoughts here a bit, as I feel there might be some misunderstanding:

The tyre model in rF2 is a great and really advanced model and our physics guys (Michael and Marek) obviously get great results with it. We will not drop it at all. In fact all current and future car physics we make will continue to use this model. You probably have seen the recent blog series about the BT44B that explains a lot about this model.
    We are considering allowing the rF1 tyre model as an option for specific cars because we are aware that certain highly respected physics gurus get great results out of that model based on the models and data they have for real world cars.
    In fact, in the future, if other tyre models emerge, we could consider integrating those as an option as well. The main thing to remember is that we're trying to be an open platform to the community. Yes, we are committed to providing the most realistic simulation. That will never change.

link:
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...actor-2-interview-part-1.126263/#post-2310745

19. bwana

bwana Registered

I would hope that the deal injects not only personnel but funds into the rf2 dev. With that we can only hope for some laser scanned tracks possibly :)

20. Rubinhofan

Rubinhofan Registered

I was very surprised and happy about the announcement, but finally I had some concerns about it:
    How do they earn money with that decission? I think most rf2-users have the lifetime-subscription. They can only earn money with more advertising and new features to reach new sim-racing enthusiasts.
    In my opinion, Iracing has the most future-orientated financing System, with ist subscription method and content prices. They constantly earn money which they can invest in new content and features. They don´t need to release an Iracing 2 or 3. They only need to constantly develop their existing online-based simulator.