rFactor 2 Armed with a BIG Announcement for Simracing Expo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magus, Sep 15, 2016.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

140 extra staff producing more and faster content release !! Oh you bloody beauty!!

2. Depco

Depco Registered

I forgot about dx12 being Windows 10 only. I have Windows 10 on my racing rig so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But I understand that a lot of people are still on Windows 7 and refused to go to Windows 10.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's just one of the many reasons a few people clamor for Vulkan

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

which is just an ATI thing?

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Nope, it's an evolution of OpenGL, they're targeting a range of platforms from desktop/server(Windows, Linux, etc.) to mobile (Android). You might be thinking of Mantle, which Vulkan is based off of. The new Doom game actually has a Vulkan mode. They're even planning on being able to have a mixed GPU environment as well, eventually; where you can actually have two different cards from different manufacturers (ATI and nVidia) running together (think SLI/Crossfire between manufacturers--dunno how it'll work out on the hardware end, though).

6. Magus

Magus Registered

So this quote is quite interesting from Marcel Offermans over on RD:

"Just to clarify some details on the partnership: Studio 397 owns the full IP (sourcecode) and brand for rFactor 2. Studio 397 is fully owned by by Luminis. The content team from ISI moved to Studio 397. ISI still owns (and sublicenses) rFactor 1. The ISI developers in Ann Arbor are working on their next project, dubbed as "not rF3". Rogue System is also still part of ISI. "

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Interesting...sounds a bit different to the ISI announcement, isn`t it?

8. David Wright

David Wright Registered

So these guys are just going to stop doing what they are currently employed to do? I don't think so. Also have you worked out how much it costs to employ 130 people? To employ this number of people you need to sell millions of copies of your game. Will rF2 sell in the millions with DX11 and VR? I can't see it.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

PR sounds a bit more general in that matter. What Marcel said is correct.

10. bwana

bwana Registered

It was a number used in a tweet David, 14 will make a difference.

11. PaulG

PaulG Registered

In a perfect world, everything would switch to Vulkan and things would be platform agnostic. Vulkan doesn't exactly have the libraries that DX has, though, and is significantly more difficult to get up to speed with. It's entirely understandable why they would just stick with DX11. Especially considering the legacy of rf2.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Look at what Luminis does on their website. They have a huge range of clients and projects. Their employees won't be all supporting rF2. But if even 5% do, it will be a massive increase over what has been the case for years now.

13. Pben1

Pben1 Registered

Sounds like Studio 397 will just be a small dev team with a lot of tools at hand.

http://luminis-technologies.com/

14. stonec

stonec Registered

If they are going to produce content at a quicker rate than ISI which is what they said, they need a bigger team than ISI had, especially since ISI now doesn't work on rF2 anymore. So my bet is that they will have more guys allocated to rF2 than ISI, also considering that the content artists merged from ISI into this new team.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Eh?

17. rolandhaans

rolandhaans Registered

I am one of those lucky ones, and am grateful for the opportunity and hospitality provided by Chris and Phuoc. You guys rock!

It was an exceptional chance to drive Rf2 with a direct wheel and experience that new car. However, I don't think you've missed out on that much, as for how interesting the experience was, it was an unknown wheel, unknown set-up and hence completely different experience. How was the car? Interesting, but I've no idea how it would feel with my set-up[emoji2]

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

18. TJones

TJones Registered

To your calming, Marcel Offermans posted in the RD-Forum that ISI is still involved in the developement of rF2, question is how much.
    I'm afraid with reduced developement time.

I had the chance to drive the Super GT, can't say anything about handling, had only two laps (out and one timed) and the configuration was totally different to mine, three Monitors, other aspect ratio, and so on. Hardware was really top end (Bodnar, Heusinkveld), three monitors. Cockpit wasn't visible.
    Sadly there wasn't a chance to talk to Christopher, stand was well-frequented so he was quite busy.

19. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I gotta say, I'm not. That video posted in this thread made me very calm and excited. Programming is programming. Based on that video explaining their work on Automobolista, they clearly understand sim racing and what they're doing. Plus, if their company is that large, they must be competent programmers. Else they never would have grown so large. Competence + passion = Huge win IMO.

20. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Have to agree on the posts before in terms of the EXPO experience. I am actually the one who tweeted that and it was just an awesome feeling to experience rFactor 2 in such a setup. The GT 500 was just a bonus and you could not really get a "real" feel for it in such a new environment. But it was fun to drive.

On Studio 397:
    They started working several weeks ago. Latest material should already be from there, no release date for the Super GT though :(. So it seems a new build is the next big update for rF2. Chris is a really nice guy, plus very good German speaker. But as usual no 100% confirmations on anything.