SOLVED Rfactor2 game crashes with tyre wear past 70%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steveluppino, Sep 9, 2016.

1. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Hi,

This problem has happened a few times now, when the tyres wear past 70% worn and contact either the ripple strip or the grass terrain (obviously with different friction and wavelength properties) the game crashes to the desktop. Is this normal for a tyre at 70% wear? and for the game to crash if it is?

My best effort was to look through the .tgm files to pick if anything was missing but couldnt find that much wrong there.

Would raising the tread depth fix the problem?

I was wondering if anyone with a little more technical insight might share there thoughts about what the tyre was reacting to.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016
  2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

More info would be helpful, a tyre is not just a tyre.

3. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

more like what, modern F1 tyres, speeds at 320kph?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

More info as in:

- Which track? More than one? ISI made or 3rd Party? (If 3rd party could be a problem with the track itself)
    - Which Mod? ISI made or 3rd Party? (If 3rd party could be a problem with the mod itself)
    - If 3rd Party what Tires do they use? ISI ones or their own?
    - Does this happen just to you or others?
    - Is it repeatable with the AI?

5. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

All tracks, ISI mod. Any clues?

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

How sure are you that it's related to the tyre wear?

7. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Well, it gets down to about 30 - 40% tread left and you turn a fast corner and the game stops right there on that corner, just before that corner, on the straight it was fine. Happens there at that wear range.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

I have never heard about this problem happening on an ISI car. The only reason I can think of is that you flatspotted the tire, which created some sort of vibration frequency that your wheel FFB controller can't handle. For sure there is no general issue that would cause ISI cars to crash with certain tire wear, it would have been discovered by now if it happened.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah sounds strange to me, try running with FFB turned off (if you can, not sure how to do it) and/or make sure you have your latest wheel drivers installed - or - revert back to previous ones and see if that helps.

10. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

I just did what I should have done first, and thanks to your reminder there of course, that was to reinstal the drivers for the controller, and the tyres did last well beyond 30% , except at the end of the test session when I decided to hit the guardrail deliberately, the game crashed again. Signs pointing to the controller I guess. Any insight into that?

11. AceLain

AceLain Registered

It happened sometime when you hit a barrier at extremely fast speed the physic seem to not be able to follow that and the game crashs.... It happen to me like 2 times since the beginning of RF2, both time the Tires HUD showed extreme value for tire temp...

12. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Mine crashed at medium to low speed, however the wall was not set to collision. I have to run other tests with different walls. Maybe Ill climb out of the cockpit and smash my head on it instead!

13. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

How can the wall not be set to collision, if it's ISI content ? I think you are basicly jumping to conclusion, and without proper info it's impossible for other to recreate the situation.

14. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Not ISI track, sorry, converted one. Tested it on ISI track, car bounces off ok.

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Aha ? So chances are that the track is FUBAR and it has nothing to do with the tyre wear.

16. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

If game crashes when tire temps are high why is this?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In the early builds the tyre could enter 'uncharted' areas in extreme situations, leading to massive explosions and game crashes. I believe they now limit the calculations to the known defined ranges (which cover all sensible scenarios) to avoid this happening. That was a long time ago though.

If it's an ISI car (you've said so, but haven't said which one exactly) it's most likely the track you're using as said above. Conversions from other games tend to be built in different ways that don't behave well in rF2, which doesn't 'hide' fine details other games ignore.

18. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

They are all converted from rfactor1. Anything there to look for that could be missing from rfactor2 ones?.

But the issue is to put it bluntly, when I hit the skids for extended lengths (in testing mainly), and tyre temps reach about 120 celcius, sometimes even less to 100 degrees, the game crashes.

I thought it was controller driver, and reinstalled it, but the problem came back.

Im worried it could be bad tyres thats all, but dont have a good understanding of their physics to know what may be causing the game or controller to react to the condition.

I thought as a resort to change a few settings in the .tgm to control heat transfer, or anything I thought might relate but I dont know exactly what to look there.

I am wondering even if the game crashes due to other factors while testing in this condition if you could alter the tyre physics (in the .tgm) so it wouldnt crash, if it was possible and not to be too unrealistic to think so, and even optimistic to look for a guide to follows steps on how to design a tyre to cope with such conditions, in which anyhow looks suspicious to assume it is the tyre, when 120 degrees celcius for the game to crashes seems too little.

As you suggested it could be track issues if they were not converted from rfactor1 which they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2016
  19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

If you cannot reproduce this on official tracks, then all logic points to the track being the source of your problem.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The help you get is related to the questions you ask (ie the information you provide) and the placement also matters. You're asking in the general rF2 section, and actually saying "rFactor 2 crashes with >70% tyre wear" (paraphrased). If you're using an unmodified ISI mod and this is happening (though, apparently, 70% isn't an exact figure, so probably best to clear that up too) on some tracks, and no one else is having trouble with that mod (that you still haven't named) then it points to the track regardless of its source.

If you're modifying the mod/tyres, and getting crashes, you should be asking this as a modding question straight up.

Right now we're all just dancing around the problem because we don't even know the situation. The cause could be anything.

The correct way to rule out your controller, by the way, would be to not use the controller and try to replicate your sliding tyre / hitting wall / hitting grass/rumble (reverse chronological order as per your posts) using the keyboard. If you get a crash it's not the controller.