how do you race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Rapala

Rapala Registered

Was just wondering how you guys approach a race weekend with AI, do you try qualify as well as possible, or just start from the back? Personally I don't really see the appeal in qualifying, as if you manage to take pole, I can't see the fun in just trying to maintain your position against the AI. Similarly if you qualify slower than everyone, you're just going to see them heading into the distance, also not fun.

I normally try find the AI setting which has me just slightly faster than the pole driver, then start from the back and take on the challenge of trying to pass every car. How do you guys approach it?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I qualify the best I can then Race as if it were a proper race weekend.

4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Is it possible to make ai slower in race compared to qualifying? If that was possible somehow you could make qualifying so hard that even with good lap you would end up in the middle row, and then in race you get to do some overtakings.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What car/track specifically are you using? The AI are generally faster in qualifying (as per real life) but some mods/tracks throw up some strange results.
    You're generally safe with anything made by ISI, I've personally never had an issue with the two sessions for as long as I can remember.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Not without modding/repacking mod.

I disagree. Some ISI-mods didn´t even have talent-files! (what is the key for good quali/race relation)

7. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

I'm not sure how it works with all the different mods out there but a good way to make yourself slower is to run a full tank of fuel (or however much fuel you need to make Qualifying competitive for yourself). Also set a short time and low lap count. The AI will go out with minimum fuel and s o your car will be heavier.
    TK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

8. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

I always qualify with the fastest setup and time I can manage. During qualiy, i then adjust difficulty until I am somewhere in the middle of the ai laptimes. Can be a bit of a process though. All tracks are different and sometimes even if you crank the ai, they are still brutally slow.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Edit: sorry misread your post, yes you're right with that :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  10. Rapala

Rapala Registered

11. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I usually run small fields of around 12-15 ai as this makes it easier on the graphics card and more importantly helps the ai spend less time tripping over each other making them too much slower in the race than qualifying. I usually aim to qualify towards the back of the field allowing me to make my way through the field during a 15 (typically) lap race. The exception being the BTCC tintops which tend to race pretty close to quali times so I aim to qualify nearer top 5.
    By running a quali session the ai have time to sort themselves out into order which again allows them to race better and not trip over each other. I used to jump straight into a race but running a short quali has really improved my racing experience. You can fast forward the time on quali whilst you are not on track. Ending quali early will not have allowed the ai to get into the correct order on the grid.