Can we replace the red arrow pit box?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jerrymcc, Jul 27, 2016.

1. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

I'm pretty tired of the blinking red arrow showing me where my pit is. Hasn't someone replaced it with a pit crew, like in rF1?

Doesn't have to be animated, ... but where did the animated pit crew go as well, lol?

2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

You can create a custom "startbox.gmt". This goes into the car package.

the pit scrips aren't adjustable: they all refer to "startbox.gmt".

if they were adjustable, it could contain a .gmt with .anm (animation) file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'd understand this having to go into the car package if there was animated pit crew, but since there isn't it should be easier to get this in the game, just like rF1 (same for mirrors, I could save so much fps by using custom lower res mirror). Some things were made more complex without needing to be. But then it's a ISI feature in rF2 lol

Quick question related to this: is it normal to get more than your own mark when pitting? I remember I was in a online race once (the only I did where I'd have to pit) and when I went to pit the car ahead of me did too, I saw the arrow telling me to pit but the guy stoped in the same pit box so I waited behind him, when he left I went to the pit stall but nothing happened, then I noticed there was another arrow in front, close to the pit exit, that was my pit stall. A lot of time lost.

4. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

"Pitcrew Detail Level":1,
    "Pitcrew Detail Level#":"0=Off, 1=Player Only, 2=Everybody",

It's at "1" by default. You've problably set it at "2".

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Thanks, it was set to 2.
    See man... another thing that would only make sense if there was pit crew animations. Why is this even there, what the heck

6. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Thanks for the info, Gijs. So, as I understand it, this can't be put into the game as a "global" effect, where it replaces the pit arrow in any mod?

Another rF2 "feature" that handicaps modding to please the masses, lol?

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It's a very useful thing to have, as the red arrow is nearly invisible in some scenarios until you're right on it.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Just a couple of other choices for the arrow shape, size and colour would cure most of the short-term problem.

9. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

10. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Thanks, Smelly..., that looks great!

I looked at your website. I see a lot of car downloads. Is the pit crew with each car, or is it the full mod? I didn't see a mod, just the cars.

11. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Yes the pitcrew is embedded into each car.
    We have a short series atm with these, 1 car & 1 track per round. So you can try them online, the current server is the HOLDEN VLTWR @ Phillip Island. It'll change midweek.
    Hope to see you on track

SS

12. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Thanks. pit crew works great. Too bad we can't do a 'global' replacement, so it replaces the "red arrow" all the time.

Great job.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

A static pitcrew looks even more corny than the red arrow IMO. ISI should add support for both global custom GMTs and animation files. There is an animation system already in the game, but it isn't being used for the most important part, i.e. the pit stops. I'm sure modders would quickly put together an animated lollipop man if ISI makes it possible for us.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Depends on your definition of corny. It's much easier to see, and to stop properly at, a static pitcrew than a transparent arrow, and having your pitcrew in your team colours means you can see if and when other people are pitting without having a bunch of identical arrows you need to find yours in.

Agree on animations obviously being better, and that modders would soon get something going even if the final system (that was able to auto-adjust to different car size / pitstop parameters / series rules) couldn't be implemented now/ever. But the static is much better than an arrow.

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I agree it is easier to spot but when other opponents pit I never see their red arrow. I think you let yourself go there.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's a player.JSON setting to view all pitcrews, which means you can see when others are going to come in (or have requested, at least). But yeah, with the arrows it's more a hindrance.

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The existing animations already need update anyway. I'm ok with the hands not moving to shift (because it is delayed anyway so kinda annoying) but it should sync and move in replays and the animation of the hands holding the wheel needs update compared to AC or F1 2016 for example...

18. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL! Youre late to this party!

19. stonec

stonec Registered

If it's just about visibility, making the arrow bigger and more solid would be a good first step, I just think it looks less silly than a static pitcrew from around 1998's game, but that's my opinion. I don't know of anyone that uses the view all pitcrews setting, it's only a distraction in league racing. Then as next step allow modders to include an ANIM file along with GMT. As third step a basic animated pitcrew could be included in the game, or just the lollipop man if that's too difficult.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You do now :) (and I doubt I'm alone)

I'm not sure how it's a distraction. If the next crew is out (different colours) I know someone will be coming in soon and will make sure I don't drive out too late to avoid contact. Plus if it's a team I'm fighting against it adds to the drama and my knowledge of what's going on in the race. It is also much easier to stop at the right point when you're driving into a pitcrew (though the arrow would probably be easier than now if it were opaque, too).

The pit crew being static does look a bit silly, but after driving around a quite real looking track in a sim with no aids I don't find a big red arrow very realistic either.

*it's also possible to drive into the wrong pitcrew if you're not paying attention - which isn't unrealistic either :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
    Vance Le Garde likes this.