New Guy - Should I Get RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ef123, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Magzire

Magzire Registered

nvm :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  2. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

thats a mod, and those gloves are just a mod issue. not actual game graphics. ams clearly offers better graphics with less hardware demand.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't know what you base "better" graphics on. AMS uses ISI's rF1 engine as has been mentioned, with some minimal tweaks. It doesn't have weather, HDR, real-time reflections, or anything that is considered recent tech. It's still a 2007 engine with updated texture and artwork of tracks, which is why they will switch to a completely new graphics engine for 2017.

4. bwana

bwana Registered

Was driving AMS yesterday and it was a rf1 flash back.. Needed sunglasses and the look was just so toonish. Still a whole lot of fun but seriously a retro look.

5. FenderBender

FenderBender Registered

Theres a lot of talk on this thread about graphics, realism, physics etc.

I bought the lifetime licence lsat year, and the thing that worries me about rF2 is the seemingly lack of mods available for it. The original rFactor had dozens of mods literally being released every week. With rFactor2 I'm lucky to see one new mod a month, and most of those are from ISI.

Are there any modders out there for rF2? There are only a handful of F1 tracks available...

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes there are modders actively working in rF2... have you had a look in the modding section of this forum? Several recently made current & historic formula cars, GT3, Porsche 917, BTCC, URD's updated endurance GT, and Enduracers stuff. As far as I know, you'll find every modern F1 track has been converted to rF2 if you google. What tracks are you looking for? What mods are you looking for?

Also, there's a difference between quality and quantity. rF1 has a LOT of poor quality mods and only a few that rise to the level that I'd call good. rF2 modders are trying very hard to produce quality mods which takes more time.

7. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

why dont you just straight away say no matter what fact is in front of you you'll always think rf2 is the best in every area. this attitude is getting a bit annoying. you guys manage to blame everything but rfactor for virtually everything I have complained about so far. bad ffb? blame wheel and bash other sims, bad graphics? blame graphics card of the player, player feels not good about physics? well blame him of not knowing how these cars handle. player did not like the game? blame him of being a troll. but you see no problem when somebody bashes another game's graphics because of a poorly made mod. and nobody felt the need to correct him, nor did he have any information as to what he was talking about. when other games are criticized, no problem, go ahead but thats not the case with your favorite sim right?

and back to that ffb strength subject, tested and found out that same ffb with stronger forces will make absolutely no difference. so g27 being less powerful is of no importance.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Again, I think this is said to you already, but this is rf2 forum, what do you expect? People here know rf2 the best so they can easily answer you. I'm also pretty sure folks over here have tried the most sims, unlike those in pcars or AC, because they tend to have more arcade background.

I'm sure this game feels better with my T500 than with your g27. Sounds like you don't know how to setup it either (might be different than in other games). Anyway I sometimes have moments when I think this feels a bit icy and not as I would think it feels irl, but generally it's all really good. With single screen it's sometimes hard to evaluate speed coming into corners, but brake marks help.

I don't like black and white attitude. I don't also like your attitude because you came to ask advice, but now you are just bashing people over here and the sim. Accept that it's rough on edges, but you have to accept that it has very nice core. Or then, don't like it and walk away. I don't think anybody here wants to hear that you think they are liking wrong sim in your opinion.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you configured it correctly now? You never shared your settings, so we're taking guesses... it sounded like you had the strength too high.

A stronger wheel lets you keep the forces linear, while still having decent feedback in the lighter periods. That's much better than the wheel feeling dead at those times. You can remedy that a bit with STS, which is what games that target cheap consumer wheels also do.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

When you say AMS has better graphics, I see only two possibilities, bearing in mind that AMS uses ISI rF1 graphics engine from 2007. So either:
    a) ISI has been doing everything wrong and nothing right with their graphics engine during the past 9 years of development and somehow managed to make it worse than in 2007.
    b) ISI has improved the engine but you just prefer AMS track art for subjective reasons (colors or style of tracks etc., has nothing to do with graphics engine itself).

Option b) seems more likely to me.

Regarding FFB, you are also wrong. It doesn't matter if you crank up forces 200% on G25. A G25 can still only produce 2.5 Nm peak torque which is too little for simulating the dynamic range and true forces of a real racing car that peaks at over 10 Nm. It's my opinion that you really need a proper wheel with recent FFB tech to appreciate the dynamic range of rF2 FFB.

11. bwana

bwana Registered

As a sim your absolutely correct. no arguments here.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Sorry, can't help you then because the rest of us have BTDT and came to a different conclusion.

13. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Seems like he never took the effort to take a look in the (last pages of) unedited screenshots-thread, like I asked him for earlyer.
    So he only have the comparison on his screen, what seems to differ to what other people see....
    Really makes no sense to discuss things like this with him.