New Guy - Should I Get RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ef123, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I hope you are aware how you sound like and how you come across here and why people are so let's call it "reserve" towards you. I was following this thread from the beginning. Just letting you talk. I like when people talk a lot. It makes easier to find out how full of crap they are.

I would gladly have a discussion with you, hours of words exchanging. unfortunately I know your kind and I know how will it end. I'm a pragmatic man so I'm not willing to spend highly valuable time on sth that won't lead to anything. My dad used to say: There's nothing wrong in being wrong, but everything is wrong in deciding on keeping being wrong. Food for thought for you. I hope you will appreciate another proverb that I was given when I was little: "smart man always doubts himself".

2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think it's wise to let the comparisons rest with other softwares. It's natural that people compare stuff, but it will not help you making your desicion, only if you feel that you miss out on something.

Regarding your mentioned experience with rF2 and you going fast on a public road I get the feeling that you lack the general understanding of race cars. Your road car is setup to be save by the factory, so that you don't crash. Next to that it does not rely on down force and it does not have 500hp, thatsewhy it is easier to drive your 80hp car around a slow corner than with a FR3.5. Minibull gave you an explaination why driving the FR3.5 in a slow corner uphill with changing tyre and suspension loads is difficult to drive on the limit. I don't know why you can't accept it, that high downforce cars are not easy to drive through slow corners. And comparing your daily understeering roadcar with an edgy oversteering - that's what race cars naturaly do to corner faster - is like comparing apples and oranges. I bet if your average oversteering Toyota Prius was in rF2, it would be fairly easy drive, besides the fact that we miss the g-forces. We don't have a Prius in rF2, so let that comparison rest aswell. Even if you are driving fast on a public road, it does not mean that you are driving on the limit. Granted that several people get killed in car accidents world wide per day, should open your eyes towards the fact, that it is possible to lose controll at a certain point even with cars that are stup to be safe.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

The reason your G27 is strong is that your FFB setting is clipping. That means you experience no low-level steering forces and have no dynamic range. Use the pedal overlay plugin (http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7546-rF2-Pedal-Overlay-Plugin) and adjust in-game FFB per car level so it is not clipping.

If you do not understand what a clipping signal does to your FFB, then read http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/like-your-ffb-strong-think-again.30763/ or watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96pEg6QxM88

4. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Do 3rd party plugins work in the demo?

5. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

you are right road cars are generally set up to understeer. but your funny and wrong assumptions about my car wont really add to any of your points.

not every race car is set up to oversteer. its all about driver preferences. and as far as I can see on the onboards, f3,5 cars mostly understeer. and you dont need to drive on the limit on that corner. just drive in slowly and car still feels gripless and slides.

I have taken my car to track and I know its limits, I am talking from real life experience and comparing it with the sim, whereas you are just talking your biased opinion about your favorite sim.

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Do you think l and the guys here havnt driven karts ,track days,real race cars or their own road cars ,do you think we havnt driven AC ? Your basing more of your opinion on how AC feels to you with your badly set up G27 and after asking questions you ignore the answers. You might also be very surprised at how long the majority of guys here have been simracing.

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Just buy rF2, give it the time it deserves, this thread is now going on about rF2 vs AC for too long. You are on rF2 forum, people here love rF2, they will defend rF2, if you ask about rF2 on AC forum it will be the other way around.

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I gave you just some general information why the FR3.5 is driving like it does and why it is senseless to compare it to your roadcar. That's not a biased opinion or anything, it is a fact, unless your road car has 500hp and wide wings, super stiff suspension and a setup that is trimmed towards competetive racing. Wich I think, it is not. The Prius was a generalization joke, nothing else. So don't take it too serious. What you should take serious is the information by some people here ragarding FFB (strong=/=good) and some general tips on race car dynamics. You don't have to drive a race car to learn something about it, you can read up on technical stuff, physcial background and spezifictations.

As said, I own a couple of different sims including AC, so I don't have to be biased or anything. You have to trim the cars in AC aswell to oversteer to be fast as the base setups are on the safe but not fast side. You can call me what ever you want: you don't seem to take feedback in a mature manner so I guess I will just leave the discussion at this point. Have a nice day and enjoy whatever suits you :)

9. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

just bought lifetime sub. lets see what it offers :)

10. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

take a look at your reply before this one and see who is not mature.

in games people use oversteer way more and effectively because crashing in a game has zero cost. also in a game people mostly dont lap as long as they do in real life so they can afford to oversteer and destroy the tyres bit more. i did not say strong ffb is good ffb, I did say g27 is strong enough to deliver the same level of resistance that most race cars give because another user was saying g27 was too weak to produce any similar resistance to which racing cars have.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

This is not a point of opinion. G27 FFB produces 2.5 Nm peak torque according to google search, which is pathetic. No matter how new and shiny your G27 is, it won't magically have a stronger FFB engine in it. Thrustmaster wheels produce easily over half more torque, around 5 Nm, which is acceptable, but still not close to real. Real race cars produce 10+ Nm torques. Anyway, after you have driven with (at least) a Thrustmaster wheel, G27 will feel like a toy, trust me. I have experience from both a G27 and T300.

12. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

That's all right. G27 = 3nm torque max , t500rs = 6nm max and better. I expérienced that because I have had g27 AND t500rs.

Léo bodnar = 26nm..... (4500€)

IF YOUR FFB WITH À g27 FEELS STRONG, YOU HAVE À LOT OF CLIPPING WHICH MEANS W R O N G FFB, MEANS BAD FOR GOOD DRIVING

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

Maybe you can also apply that same logic to your own actual thoughts on the racing.
    So in a sim, people push harder, and drive much differently than IRL. Correct, I don't think anyone would disagree there.

That same thought also should get applied to why cars feel harder to drive in the sims. When you put the throttle on, you can't feel how hard you are accelerating the car. You can't feel the loads changing in the car through the corners, letting you know the rear of the car is starting to let go. So hence we see people pushing over the limits all the time. No feedback, and no real risk = very hard racing that looks far more loose than IRL.

That uphill left hander you have issues with, think about it like a real driver for a second. You come to a new track, you start off slow and slowly bring your speed up over a practice session. You keep it under control while getting your brake markers sorted, entries, exits, etc.
    If you went and hit the corners like we do in a sim, I'm sure your team boss would be ready to chew your ears off when you get back to the pits. You couldn't keep spinning and crashing the teams 300,000 dollar car while you keep asking for more grip...

Now you've apparently bought lifetime, you can truly spend some time with a car and track, and properly learn it. There's such a range of cars that it takes some big changes in driving style to race well with them. You can end up very adaptable as a sim racer

14. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

If ffb feels too weak at slower speeds you can adjust STS (Steering Torque Sensitivity) From controller.json file.
    If you increase STS value it strengthens low forces.

15. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I am not surprised that new users have problems driving the FR3.5. IMO that's the most difficult OW in rF2. Surprisingly the F1 and F2 cars are a lot more planted and not so extremely "edgy". Anybody else with the same feeling?

16. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Over at PrestoGP there's a bunch of very friendly and fast drivers that usually do a great job at preparing FR3.5 setups.

A good setup goes a long way in making the FR3.5 very drivable. It's still a bitch on the limit but car is a handful anyway.

That, and allowing the tyres a couple of laps to warm up. It's very important as in real life.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/prestogp-s16-r1-austria-setup-thread.123282/

17. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Thank you.
    Only problem left is that new drivers who are trying out the demo usually don't dig for setups;). I vote for better approachable content in the demo.

18. bwana

bwana Registered

Absolutely agree re setup for fr3.5. But toughest car must be Marussia to get within 114% of IRL times That mantle may be taken by the BT 44 soon. A challenging drive for sure .

19. lagg

lagg Registered

I think you have made a big mistake.

Becasuse...
    You don't like:
    • The interface.
    • The graphics.
    • The tyre model.
    • The flexy chassis.
    • The real road.
    You don't want:
    • To configure your FFB in a correct way.
    • To give us information about your PC to allow us to help you.
    • To accept the limitations of your wheel.
    You don't have asked for:
    • A setup.
    • A controller.json.
    If i were you i'd ask for a refund quickly.
    Or you can consider what people is telling you, because this can help a lot to improve your experience in rF2 (not to be confused with rF because are different programs).
    I write this post in a positive way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  20. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

I bought ams too, and its graphics are much better and its supposed to be running on an old engine and also has better interface. I didnt say that i did not like the tyre model or real road, i said i did not like the feeling of that car. I tried that car in a different track and it felt better. other cars felt considerably better too and they actually had grip. I know there will only be little difference in ffb with those advices. game will not change, it will be the same old rf2. and i did not need help with my pc, its just how the game is. ams looked better and demanded less. If I have to upgrade my pc for a game which has 10 years old graphics, its probably game's optimization fault.

I think all those complaints of mine are why nobody really plays rfactor except people like me. you made a physics engine, but you forgot to actually make the game.

anyways, the part I am actually wondering is, I had tried demo, download file 1,5gb - 1 track and couple cars.

full rfactor2 is 11 gb, there is NO content in the game and it kept downloading from workshop. when I stopped to get in the game i found no content. so what is this 11 gb download?