What can we expect for rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mmaruda, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mmaruda

mmaruda Registered

I have not played rFactor 2 for a good couple of months now, nor lurked here at all. Can anyone get me the low down, on what is planned for the sim? I do not mean content. Stuff like improvements to real road, gearbox physics, maybe finally rain on the windshield? Was anything teased or announced? I cannot seem to find any news except content.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Keep an eye on their twitter accounts where they announce new things, also look up "ISI Track Team" on Twitter as they tease track related projects.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Nothing I guess. They said they dump down development (lol) in favor of a "non rF3" new project.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

I wouldn't expect new "features" as there has been very little happening on that front during the past year. Content I guess will continue to get released as usual, unless the content artists move to develop for the "not rF3" platform as well.

5. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The latest build just introduced two new tire features and adjustable fuel mixture.
    ERS should be coming with a new modern F1 car and I wouldn't be surprised if we also get more in-car adjustments for the modern F1.
    I think drivetrain model was mentioned in the latest Q&A but didn't remember what was said, definitely no dates.

6. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I hope that some day the track temperature will take effect to the tyre temperature, otherwise Rfactor 2 is not the ultimate simulation, what it's called

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

7. mmaruda

mmaruda Registered

So you are telling me that the people who bought the game right when it was available, in beta, cannot count on any of the stuff that was teased back then? I mean, the experience is good and all, but it kinda sucks that RF2 is not going to reach the 1.0 state it was expected to. What about this new ISI game, has anything been said?

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Teased and promised are two different things.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

that's what she said :)

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Well the sim works so in that sense it's not beta anymore, though there are things that definitely should be there, like having road surface temperatures affecting anything and the gearbox damage model. Who knows if they will come though. Drivetrain model was mentioned to come in 2013 Q&A, but no news since then. Modern F1 has also been mentioned at least once every year since 2014, but so far there is no concrete evidence for it happening.

20.8.2013 Q&A:

Q: What improvements are planned for the clutch and gearbox to make manual gear changing more relevant? Will there be a realistic starter?
    A: There’s a fairly high-priority task to improve the driveline model. Personally I (Terence) don’t see much need for a starter that is more realistic at this time, so I would consider that part pretty low priority.

11. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

All of this is still in the works.

Updated drivetrain model and hybrid engine stuff was last mentioned in the interview 3 months ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL! No, absolutely not! Just forget it!

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

No, rubbish.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Perhaps the OP never saw this:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/28398-Image-Space-Incorporated-Exclusive-Interview

Yeah, probably a lot of what we all hoped would still be coming in rF2 probably isn't. Some still is though. Disappointing, but more disappointing would be if they aimed too high, kept aiming for it, and next year there was no ISI anymore. We'll get ISI working on something else, which could be good, rF2 will continue to some extent, it's already pretty good so that's ok, and one day in the long distant future rF3 might start to materialize and it might do more of what we hoped.

I wonder sometimes how ISI would actually move forward if rF2 was cutting edge in every single area, pretty much all user demands/requests were met... what do they do then? Why would someone pay to use their engine to make a game they could mod for rF2 and probably ask money for anyway? Why would we buy another game when we could do the same thing in rF2?

Anyway, it's ISI's show, you should never buy something because of an expectation you have of what it will be, unless that expectation is because of a promise (and a refund if it doesn't happen). We all joined the dots a lot early on and probably overestimated how much rF2 would end up doing. Ah well, wasn't that expensive, still used it for the last 4 years, and probably will for a few more.

15. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Hows MP improved now? Thinking if steam sale for lifetime would worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Emery

Emery Registered

LOL... there's two fewer people in MP because you don't have it and I'm typing this reply.

Seriously, though, what "improvement" are you looking for with multiplayer?

17. mmaruda

mmaruda Registered

This is mental, you actually suggest that making and incomplete / flawed game is better, because you have things to improve in a follow up title. You know who does exactly that? Codemasters.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A big part of what they do is sell the game engine. I'm questioning why you'd buy the engine if rF2 provided everything you wanted to do with it anyway... saying I'm suggesting they go the same route as CM is a bit harsh :p

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's exactly why sometimes I wonder why rF2 is sold to the average sim racer, it looks way too much focused on professionals which is making modding take longer and driving people away.

20. pmarin2

pmarin2 Registered

If someone licensed the engine that did everything you wanted and just focused on doing laser scanned tracks and cars of one license, be it F1, DTM, whatever, I wouldn't be questioning that :p