questions from a "rFactor 2" rookie/ newbie

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rocafella1978, Jun 28, 2016.

1. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

hi all, have download some of the track, cars and plugins, MODS, since seems to have awesome game content and MODS, which a lot of people recommend trying out as a SIM.
    I have setup a little and tested around, but feel like i don't understand it all and want to see what your suggestions and recommendations are for
    1) video setup settings
    2) in game controls settings
    3) in game display settings
    4) in game audio settings
    5) in game video res settings
    6) in game difficulty settings

have attached my settings, screenshots and details, am grateful for any help and guidance.
    View attachment 20255
    View attachment 20256
    View attachment 20258
    View attachment 20260
    View attachment 20259
    View attachment 20257

thank you all SimRacers in this great community!

2. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

You seem to have Titan X SLI and it is wise to start with Nvidia game profile :)

Nvidia Inspector: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

Compatibility:
    SLI comparability bits: 0x02402004

Sync and refresh:
    Maximum pre rendered frames: 1

Common:
    Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance.

Steam > SteamApps > Common > rFactor2 > UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:

"Max Framerate":60, (120/144 if you have 120/144hz monitor)
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

rFactor2 video settings:

Mode > Fullscreen
    Anti Aliasing > 4
    HDR> on
    Sync > video (use this only if you have micro stutters)

:)

3. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

hi @WhiteShadow, thank you so much for your help! much appreciate it.
    questions:
    1) i have screen tearing now? what to change to correct and counter screen tearing?
    2) NvidiaInspectorProfile(r) - when i make changes, do I just apply changes and leave the program open or just close it? not sure what it does and how it works, although reading the wiki makes it very powerful tool, but how to use it? do you launch the game out of the profiler?

thanks for your help and sorry for being an amateur in this.

4. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

just can't get graphics to look nice or stop tearing and doing all kinds of artifacts, only in rF2, all other sims are great. any suggestions?

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Check in game fps > Ctrl+f. Number you see on the top right on your monitor should be same as your monitor hz (60hz = 60, 120hz = 120)if numbers are not equal some monitors are tearing.
    If that number is equal and your monitor is still tearing use video sync (rFactor2 video settings: Sync > video)

6. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

thanks will test it out. appreciate your help.

7. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

has anyone tested or used "nvidia inspector/ profile inspector" with rFactor 2? just curious if there are fellow simracers who have knowledge and/ or settings for nvidia control panel and nvidia profile inspector?

8. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

9. stonec

stonec Registered

That guide is over 3 years old though. Why do you want to adjust settings in Nvidia inspector? I think ISI developer said somewhere you should leave all Nvidia settings at default, since that is how ISI runs their own tests. The exception is obviously SLI bits, which you have to adjust if you use SLI.

If you still get tearing with max framerate set in player.JSON, you can try to set it to one less (for example if 60 Hz screen, set max framerate to 59, if 120, set 119). This is how I have it set up and the tearing doesn't bother me much. If you want to get rid of all tearing, you probably need to apply one of the sync options. Sync introduces input lag, but some options might feel better than others.

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

OT has TitanX SLI. Settings from my post#2 are working fine with 980Ti SLI and should work fine for him too.

This is Quote from Tuttle (ISI Dev)which is fine for single card

Starting from a clean installation, with a clean player/config file, the best way to proceed with graphics settings is to JUST use ingame settings, pushing on high AA levels and anisotropic filtering x8 or x16 (and of course good track/car quality settings)...and that without overriding anything via inspector and/or CCP.

(Also HDR must be ON if you want a proper modern lighting.)

This way you can load the game and check how it looks. If you see trees are looking properly (no alpha jaggies) and texture are sharp enough to see details into it (aniso texture filtering), you can decide to be happy (and stop tweaking)...or start experimenting extra settings, outside the game.

But this is the time where you can mess with profiles and configs, so you have to check every single step, and every single click you are doing with CCPs and inspectors, to see how things are working. May happen a CCP/Inspector change is going to mess the config.ini and cache... and you can't just roll back from those settings, without cleaning up that file (aka generating a brand new one). Same for the Players.JSON and Transparency AA, or xpaa, using False to make wrong trees looking better and then making correct trees looking wrong.

Still, the easy way to make the game looking at best, is to go easy peasy, with standard ingame settings. This is where you are working inside our choices, instead playing with a very big mix of variables we can't control.

11. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

hi, am going to attempt and do a fresh installation, but where do i find this setting?
    "Also HDR must be ON if you want a proper modern lighting" where do you turn on or off HDR? i can't find it anywhere.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's on by default. If you don't know how to change it don't worry - it's on.