Flags, Banners, Signs -- Cloth Animations

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bink, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bink

Bink Registered

Thanks, Nibiru... good to know it works in game... sorry to hear about the flaw. I'll check it out.

Changed the code a bit today... and built a bunch of (non-planar) canopies of various sizes [track worker shade.. thru.. grandstand sizes].

Only have a couple of the small ones animated so far... more tomorrow.

2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

This idea was amazing. Just one sugestion, create a small video from each object and add it in post.

Thank you :)

3. Bink

Bink Registered

@Nuno.. Thanks. It's been a good distraction... I didn't really feel like working on aiw~thing this week.

I'll probably make about 25 more animations over the next week... so about 50 total.

When you have the 50 videos finished, let me know their names, and I'll post the YouTube link next to each animation.

4. Bink

Bink Registered

Just uploaded 20 more canopies.

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

awesome...thank you bink :cool:

6. Bink

Bink Registered

No prob... and thanks again for the testing.

I read somewhere that they're thinking of doing Indycars at Surfer's again.

Those were a lot of fun... other than the longest flights on the planet part.

Next up... more sizes and orientations of flags and banners.

7. Bink

Bink Registered

10 new flags above

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks bink..

The surfers track has been shortened since the indy cars last took it. But its still an exciting track. Its the most expensive round on the V8 supercars calander due to car damage.

9. Bink

Bink Registered

Oh yea.. forgot.. Supercars. There were also some (short run) drag racing exhibitions. And of course... the "Indy Undie Ball"... what a roll.

Flying in from the states wasn't much fun.. 8hrs in there's a roller-coaster ride over the jet stream at the equator... and then another 8hrs before landing.

If you're flying in from South-East Asia, they walk down the aisles spraying cans of insecticide on the passengers before landing in Aus... in case you have any bugs (or Depp's dogs) on you.

Will be filling out the banners a bit today, and I still have to make some vertically hanging stuff.. 2 pole banners... more pennants etc...

If you can think of anything else that would be handy, let me know... but it's getting pretty boring, so probably bailing soon.

10. Bink

Bink Registered

13 new banners... 14 new two pole signs posted

11. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

I get an error message not enough bones in anim file to match mesh.
    any ideas?

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

What file gives you that error?

13. Bink

Bink Registered

Hey mchreiner.. how's it going?

Nibiru's got good question there (which file?).

Also... what gives the error... running animation in Max.... or ISI exporter... or rF2 ?

First thought is that when the mesh and bones are selected (see readMe.txt), one or more of the bones were not selected.

Not questioning that it happened... just never seen that before, so need more info.

14. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Flag_26
    RF2 Error or Viewer Error
    I did Flag_18 and all worked.

Now I noticed in earlier post that scaling seemed to work. It might with a small increase in size but I was trying to increase Flag_18 quite a bit for a pretty big flag and it does not animate the same. It still animates just looks funny or strange now.

can I request a Flag with the Size of 5.0M x 3.0M
    Trying to make some big American Flags for my Ovals

And Thank you very much for all you do!

Cheers,
    Mike

15. Bink

Bink Registered

Ok... I'll check out Flag_26.... although I've never tried them in 'viewer'.. (I've only used devMode, and rF2 race sim).

The strangeness in scaling could have a few causes:

1. The amount each that x, y, and z are scaled could produce different positions that the "cloth" can't accommodate
    (like too much stretch, compress, etc..).

2. As when doing 'process shots' of miniatures (before cgi)... dropping a pencil on the street does not look the same a dropping a telephone pole on the street... (you'd need to speed up the camera's frame rate when filming the pencil).

3. These simulations take gravity, wind, cloth weight and 50 or 60 other parameters into account... because of this, enlarging a small flag could look strange, as it wouldn't look "droopy" or heavy enough.

Also... there is the problem that this forum's technical rules do not allow me to post zip files above a certain size (FAQ is a bit sketchy about .zip size limit).

Because of that, these animations are a compromise between what I would like to post (more vertices/bones = more realistic)... versus... the file size this forum will allow me to post (= less realistic).

That said... I'll see what I can come up with for your 5m x 3m flag.... but may need to email it to you if I can't get something reasonable in a limited file size.

16. Bink

Bink Registered

17. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Thanks Bink!
    Plus I found another way to scale the flags I think.
    I just changed the unit scale of the flag scene from 1 unit=1 meter to 1 unit =5meters and then saved it. Then I imported it into my track scene and it was bigger and seemed to animate correctly.
    So that is another way we can scale the flags I suppose.

18. Bink

Bink Registered

Great idea mschreiner ... I appreciate your research on the sizing. It makes sense that your method would work.

From the number of hits in the past couple of weeks, it seems like people might find these animations useful... but your work, and the feedback from Coutie and Nibiru is making this a lot easier to knock out.

Thanks again for the help.

Need a couple days off.. then back at it mid week.

19. Bink

Bink Registered

Dudes...

I ran out of upload space...

Have asked ISI if it is possible to increase it for my account so I can continue.

Not sure if they are coded to do that sort of thing... so... we'll wait and see.

20. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Dropbox???
    It is free....
    :)