Interested in exploring racing league for rookies / novice drivers…?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Riverside, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Riverside

Riverside Registered

...Posting also in General Discussion as it could be of interest to "single player only" drivers...

Hello,

I have been using racing simulators, and in particular rfactor2, for just a few months; initially only single player and more recently some multiplayer with experienced rf2 communities.

Everyone does a great job and they are all very welcoming but… they are also really fast…! they often have raced for years in most cars, most tracks; you end up driving pretty much alone after a lap or so…

I wonder if some of you who are just starting have any interest in joining a “rookie” league, targeted for people new to sim racing or with less than a year experience?

Talked about the possibility with SRGP, another member of the forum, and we have a proposal that would allow new drivers to race within a similar level of competition, share experiences and learn by racing; we came up with the basics and would like opinions of those interested in joining:

CARS: For a first tournament we would use BTCC mod; many different cars, easy to find and install, plus touring cars are very drivable and no need to become a setup expert yet, but they are not trivial either.

TRACKS: 5 – 7 rounds at easy to drive tracks with rather increasing level of difficulty; for the last two races, with a little experience under our belts, we would have pit stops true faster fuel use.

Here are the tracks we would use:
    R1: Matsusaka (Suzuka) East (easy and fast!)
    R2: Hockeheim short 2
    R3: Joesville
    R4: Mores short
    R5: Silverstone National
    R6: Brands Hatch
    R7: Mid Ohio

DATES / TIMES: Weekends around Europe’s evening, America’s morning, to accommodate drivers from many time zones; we would race once a weekend. QUESTION: What specific times would work for those interested?

One option: Saturday @ 16:30 UTC = 18:30 Europe = 11:30 Pacific ? (start of Qual.)

RACE FORMAT: 30 minutes single races with 30m open practice and 10m qualifying

SEASON 1: We would start on or around July 17th.

If you are a novice driver and interested, please reply to this thread, join the conversation and let’s race on July 17th!

Pre-Entry List as of 7/4

- Riverside
    - SGRP
    - Wiggin
    - Marketcrash
    - Juan
    - Wil1o
    - Treky
    - Sherpa25
    - Springel
    - Krobs
    - Lukilord1
    - Kevinw215

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  2. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

what time zone?
    EDIT: sry my Bad!

3. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

I support this idea!

Sent from my Nexus 7

4. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

I have owned the game since November and am average, but I'd love to join in. I think along with rookies, maybe the guys who have had the game a while but can't put in crazy practice hours to get really fast may be interested. I've never driven the BTCC so I'll download now and give it a try. I am on PST time and that works for me.

5. Riverside

Riverside Registered

6. Riverside

Riverside Registered

You are absolutely right! :cool:

7. Riverside

Riverside Registered

@Wiggin, @Marketcrash, send me a PM with your Steam username; I will create a group and calendar there as decisions are completed.

8. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp Registered

Hello, I am Erik Springelkamp (springel on Steam, sometimes Raaf (= raven in Dutch), and I am also interested in fun races that are not aimed at the aliens.

I have been looking for BTCC mods for rF2, but I only find individual cars at various sites.

Is there a concise list of the cars and tracks that are meant to be used by this group?

EDIT: Ah, I just found the thread in the online racing sub-forum

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  9. Pete Beardsley

Pete Beardsley Registered

Hello all, just spotted this thread via Google and hope I am not too late to the party.
    Just like Riverside in the initial post, I have tried my hand in a few online races, but am way off the pace and feel like a mobile chicane after a couple of laps, so I would welcome the opportunity to race with some less "able" racers like myself. Finishing a race on the same lap would be a big bonus. lol
    Steam name is TuxMcbea and I am based in UK so weekend evenings are great for me. Come to that, most weekday evenings are good too.
    Cheers!

10. Riverside

Riverside Registered

This thread is officially closing on July 17th after the first official race of The Rookie League @ SimRacing-GP

14 Rookie Drivers showed up for our first race at Suzuka East and we had no DNFs, super fun and very nice!

Season 1 will run for six more weeks; if you are a rookie driver and think this is for you, come join us at http://simracing-gp.net/series-26