Interested in racing league for rookies / novice drivers…?

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Riverside, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Hello,

I have been using racing simulators, and in particular rfactor2, for just a few months; initially only single player and more recently some multiplayer with experienced rf2 communities.

Everyone does a great job and they are all very welcoming but… they are also really fast…! they often have raced for years in most cars, most tracks; you end up driving pretty much alone after a lap or so…

I wonder if some of you who are just starting have any interest in joining a “rookie” league, targeted for people new to sim racing or with less than a year experience?

Talked about the possibility with @SRGP, another member of the forum, and we have a proposal that would allow new drivers to race within a similar level of competition, share experiences and learn by racing; we came up with the basics and would like opinions of those interested in joining:

Cars: For a first tournament we would use BTCC mod; many different cars, easy to find and install, plus touring cars are very drivable and no need to become a setup expert yet, but they are not trivial either.

TRACKS: 5 – 7 rounds at easy to drive tracks with rather increasing level of difficulty; for the last two races, with a little experience under our belts, we would have pit stops true faster fuel use.
    Here are the tracks we would use:

R1: Matsusaka (Suzuka) East (easy and fast!)
    R2: Hockeheim short 2
    R3: Joesville
    R4: Mores short
    R5: Silverstone National
    R6: Brands Hatch
    R7: Mid Ohio

DATES / TIMES: Weekends around Europe’s evening, America’s morning, to accommodate drivers from many time zones; we would race once a weekend. QUESTION: What specific times would work for those interested?
    One option: Saturday @ 16:30 UTC = 18:30 Europe = 11:30 Pacific ? (start of Qual.)

RACE FORMAT: 30 minutes single races with 30m open practice and 10m qualifying

SEASON 1: We would start on or around July 17th.

If you are a novice driver and interested, please reply to this thread, join the conversation, and let’s race on July 17th!

Pre-Entry List as of 7/4

- Riverside
    - SGRP
    - Wiggin
    - Marketcrash
    - Juan
    - Wil1o
    - Treky
    - Sherpa25
    - Springel
    - Krobs
    - Lukilord1
    - Kelvinw215

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Juan

Juan Registered

I suggest that include some oval races, for me it is a little easy for learning or initiating, and for sure, that is very funny especially if there were more than ten drivers. Also doing some previews race before 17th to see who are interested and how the races will be.

Nice idea! :)

3. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Do you mind suggesting the track? not much of an oval guy myself but sounds good to learn!

4. Riverside

Riverside Registered

@SGRP, @Wiggin, @Marketcrash, @Juan

Please PM me your Steam username to create a group and invite. Thks!

5. Juan

Juan Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  6. wil1o

wil1o Registered

Hi, definitely interested. wouldn't be able to join every race due to work shifts but any that I can I will! :)

7. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Good to see interested Drivers !

That's an idea : short tracks like Joesville, Brookdale, Phoenix, Nazareth, ... are probabably more suitable. I am curious to see how FrontWhelDrive would behave on ovals though. Would we be using the Nascar rules (PaceCar, LuckyDog, ...) ?

Isn't it better to let Drivers choose with who they want to Team up ? I just mean the nationality can be a little restrictive.

The starting date is not totally fixed, 17th July is mainly an indication (avoid the soccer Euro2016 and other real life events).
    For the practice races, it is of course possible, or I can setup what I call a "Challenge" ?
    This format is meant for hotlapping and pickup races. The server stays in Qual. untill the end of the session, then it switches to the Race if there are 3 Drivers connected, otherwise it switches to the next track.

8. wil1o

wil1o Registered

I agree, esp. as we're just starting out online here, we're working to get better at this game as group, let's not create artificial rivalries based on who comes from where... :)

This makes sense, we can flesh out dates and times once we have a better idea of who's interested. I like the idea of the "Challenge", it encourages you to get clean laps in, possibly have some form of table listing the tracks and the current group lap record?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  9. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Great conversation!

It looks like Joesville is now candidate to be our Oval Track; maybe leave Mid Ohio for a next tournament? the good thing about starting slow and learning together is that we can add things as we progress, like teams and such.

@wil1o will you PM your steam ID so I can add you to the group?

Thanks!

10. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Ooops, little mistake in the time zones ! 16:30 UTC = 17:30 Britain = 18:30 Europe = 12:30 US East = 11:30 US Central = 09:30 US Pacific. Well this is indicative too, it can still be adjusted. Also, would you prefer Saturdays or Sundays ?

I have set it up here : NGTC Summer Challenge. I have taken the same track locations but changed some of the layouts to not spoil the fun :p So, this is like an open practice, while waiting for the Series, and with a Hotlap challenge to spice it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  11. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Awesome! Thanks SRGP

I think 9:30PT sounds good and prefer Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. wil1o

wil1o Registered

Cool, thanks SRGP! I'll look to getting onto this when I finish my current shift in a few days time. I don't have a preference for Sat or Sun tbh, so happy to go with the majority. :)

13. Krobs

Krobs Registered

Looks like the league for me, River i'll pm you my steam id. Cheers!

14. SRGP

SRGP Registered

It is possible to have a Constructors championship, that could also help drivers to discuss their setups. I'd suggest you test and pick your prefered car among the 6 available asap, so you won't feel the need to change during the series.
    > The Front Wheel Drive are : Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Toyota Avensis
    > The Rear Wheel Drive are : BMW 125i, Mitsubishi Lancer

15. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Welcome aboard Krobs! Send Steam on pm soon, : )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  17. Krobs

Krobs Registered

18. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Good Evening Riverside (+all others),

I am unexperienced and definitly a Rookie when it comes to rFactor 2, especially online.

I'd like to join here, but I can not guarantee to be participating in all races as I have family "duties" and stuff.
    Starting time would be 22:00 CEST at best.

I do not like the Idea of ovals and the BTCC that much but would try it anyway.
    I'd prefer Apex GT3 mod or United Racing Designs EGT mod (payware though).

I am looking forward to some fair (not necessarily good or fast) races :)

19. Krobs

Krobs Registered

20. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Great to have you interested Lukilord, welcome aboard; as a rookie league the idea is to try "stuff" to help us learn, with BTCC being the first mode we try and ovals one race out of seven.

More to come!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk