rFactor 2 Build 1098 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nope, not in this thread, and not by Christopher at least since this build came out. So at this stage we appear (I'm VERY happy to be corrected) to have a feature that doesn't do anything without updated tyres, and no way to know how to update the tyres.

While I'm here Woodee, regarding what Stan said: I'm pretty sure he was suggesting to release a non-steam update once a year or so. So keep doing regular steam updates, then every now and then incorporate most of those fixes/features into the non-steam. I'm not agreeing or otherwise, just clarifying.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It wouldn't adjust those lines, because they just set the effect of the current fuel mixture. The lines that define the engine behaviour at each RPM step also contain a mixture parameter; it is THAT I would expect to be multiplied by the new mixture parameter (so 1.0 is no change, <1.0 is lower, >1.0 is higher).

3. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thanks Lazza for the quick answer. Hmm, alright, suppose you're correct. And the FuelAirMixtureEffects lines is the case for EngineMixture = 1. Then it is still confusing for me "how the game knows how much power is gained/lossed by that setting". Maybe it is related to (or checks the line) ReferenceConditions=(101325,1.204,0.073) to calculate how much air is coming to the engine. If so, the setting does nothing for old engine files (???).

I hope that ISI can explain a little bit more about this feature.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Could we expect soonish (TM) more information on how to implement this upgrades into the tgm files? Example files wouldn`t hurt, too...

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That referenceconditions line switches on the new engine model. None of this stuff, turbos, mixture, anything, works without that model. Basically you're back to rF1 without it.

Check the devmode skip barber lines:

ReferenceConditions=(101325,1.225,0.073) // pressure (pascals), density (kg/m^3), fuel/air mass ratio, the presence of this line activates the new engine model
    RPMBase=( 0, -17.5, -17.5, 0.082, 1.207) // rpm, coast torque, reference max torque (assuming VolumeFract=1.0 & MixtureFract=1.0), idle function (throttle opening to maintain idle RPM), pressure ^ power (power increase above reference air pressure relative to coast torque)
    VolumeFract=(0, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000) // maps accelerator position to fraction of combustion chamber filled with air, you can define a maximum resolution of 16 steps which are interpolated and distributed evenly
    MixtureFract=(0.93,0.9335,0.9355,0.9375) // maps accelerator position to fraction of reference fuel/air mixture ratio

So you start by defining a reference fuel/air ratio, then at each RPM step you can define how the current throttle position is mapped both to the amount of air that is fed into the combustion chamber, and then fuel/air ratio (relative to the reference figure). That gives you a current amount of fuel at a current fuel/air ratio.

The RPMBase also shows how much torque the engine is capable of producing at this RPM. So you've got a 'max torque', a fuel/air ratio, and the amount of fuel being used.

The top of the table you've shown:

FuelAirMixtureTable=(0.0, 0.1) // start and step size of fuel/air ratio (normalized relative to reference mixture) for following table:
    FuelAirMixtureEffects=(0.00, 0.00) // torque multiplier, exhaust gas temperature multiplier

Then shows you the fraction of that maximum torque you'll produce, based on the current fuel/air ratio. That's a basic relationship at least, I've left a few constants out and you've got to factor in atmospheric pressure as well.

So if your RPM and throttle position say that you'll have a mixture equal to the reference figure, and then your EngineMixture is currently 0.95, your current mixture will be 0.95 * the reference figure. You then feed that into the FuelAirMixtureEffects table to find out the resultant torque (as a fraction of the current maximum, based on RPM).

It might help to actually draw the table above in a spreadsheet or something. Constructing tables via .ini files in this way can be a bit confusing at first.

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

"rFactor 2 Build 1080 Now Available!
    04-15-16, 08:04 AM
    Christopher Elliott:

A note for those putting up a Steam dedicated server, from now on if you place the content you're running (rfcmps) in your packages folder, anyone joining via Steam Match Maker will be able to download the content direct from your server's packages folder. This is not meant to replace GETmod, it's mainly so that you can share content that doesn't have a GET url, with those that join your server."

Delete or remove rfcmp`s from your SteamCMD package folder. Use Noel`s get mod manager if you are running league server and download speed is fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  7. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thanks Lazza, it is getting clearer now. So it makes sense to go over 1 with the mixture range and have slightly lower power. I think these are pretty useful lines then:

EngineMixtureRange=(0.90,0.05,4)
    EngineMixtureSpecial=(0,"Lean")
    EngineMixtureSpecial=(1,"Stoichiometric")
    EngineMixtureSpecial=(2,"Optimum")
    EngineMixtureSpecial=(3,"Rich")
    EngineMixtureSetting=2

Note: there is a difference between the Stoichiometric value and the optimum. Air fuel ratio stoichiometric for combustion engines is around 0.069, optimum around 0.073 (slightly towards rich mixture)

8. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

I haven't tried 1098 and won't as it offers nothing I can do without at this point. I agree it would be placebo OR the traction has simply returned that was lost in the 1080 builds. 1080 builds I found a second on average slower with identical setups and cars used 1056 vs 1080 series. Aside from leagues feeling they MUST update to latest build every time for no reasons other than it was the "latest", there hasn't been a good reason to upgrade for the minimal advantages to do so. Without the need to upgrade to chase the leagues, not much real reason to do so since cpm was introduced IMHO. To downgrade to steam???????? for more "upgrades" only??? A toughy, if iracing was cheaper...a no brainer...for multiplayer

9. stonec

stonec Registered

There is no way that build 1052 was a second slower than 1080. I drive in pro league for two years with rF2, if there was a second difference in laptimes some of our top drivers would have noticed. I think each of these reports is placebo, but anyway I will test more tonight between 1084 and 1098.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There have been fixes that leagues find useful. They don't do it "just because", in fact if anything they tend to be more hesitant in case of bugs...

So you don't like steam. I've been running the client for a month without issue, switched rF2 to steam and it's fine. I'm happy, you're happy, let's leave it out of this build discussion.

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thank you :)

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Okay, i read tuttles engine link above but I don't think it was in English so did not understand any of it. So to get fuel working do we just have to add a couple of extra lines or have to go deeper than that?
    If it is just the extra couple of lines how do I find the engine.ini files in rf2, it is not easy to fiddle with like rf1 was.
    Cheers

14. TPG

TPG Registered

Thank you for this information..

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

So... you're saying that if I pull out the rfcmp's from the packages folder of the server, it'll download fine on the launcher too? But how annoying is that? Adding and deleting components all the time? The components are used to create rFmods and therefore... general running of a server.

Brilliant solution.

16. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

It's probably better to create another folder where you store your .rfcmps on your server and point the Mod Manager to that when you want to install them, this is what I do.

If you have some third party content that does not have a GET URL, you can copy just that/those rfcmp over to your default package folder so users can download direct from your server when joining.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

File management, yes how annoying! :rolleyes:

18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I believe that if direct download is used in league servers it will have various side effects, even on a 1Gbit server.

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

This could be done, but only if it fixes the slow-ass download people get in the launcher. If the launcher download is capped, slowed down to not take away bandwidth from average Joe's 1-10 mbit upload... Isn't this (capping) done regardless of where the components are (packages/somewhere else)?

Hi Woodee.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Hm... are you talking about getmodded or non-getmodded content? If getmodded content is capped in the Steam launcher it would be a stupid move, because getmodded content is always downloaded from external URL and has no effect on the host server anyway. I can't believe they would have capped that as well, at least I never noticed a difference in download speeds.