Animated drivers arms?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by SL1DE, May 16, 2016.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Can somebody assist me with the drivers arms? Like, what do I need, etc. Can I steal the animation from an ISI mod?

At the moment ol' Michael Schumacher is controlling the steering wheel with his mind... :D

[​IMG]

2. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Find an appropriate model from ISI, and also the .ANM file.

Get the driver into 3DSimEd,to move/scale it.

You'll need to make a new line in the GEN to reference the ANM file. I usually use one from where you 'borrowed' the driver.

You can also animate the driver in 3DSimEd so you can position the hands on the wheel correctly.

3. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Ah ok, so get the driver model from another mod, with the ANM file...

Is there anything more in-depth on the subject here?

4. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

5. Heikki21

Heikki21 Registered

So positioning the driver hands/arms is possible with 3dsimed? How? I am struggling a lot atm with the hand animation as well. I am trying to get the anm. into blender, which should be possible...but I have no idea how. Doing this with 3dsimed would be much better :)

Gesendet von meinem LG-D855 mit Tapatalk

6. dylbie

dylbie Registered

It's pretty simple with 3DSimEd, although it can be time consuming, and sometimes it doesn't fit perfectly.

So, make sure you have your desired driver and .ANM file in your GMT/MAPS folder.

Open 3DSimEd and then click 'Import as Objects'. Select the driver model and the steering wheel. You should get this which looks like the driver trying to impersonate Jesus:

[​IMG]

Now right click on the driver and select the object, it should turn blue. Next, from the 'Object Instance Edit' window on the right hand side, scroll down and click on the 'new animation' box(circled red below). You should see the .ANM file. Click it and rejoice in the miracle that now turns Jesus into a moving racing driver.

[​IMG]

So next job is to align the moving arms onto the steering wheel. Scroll back up in the 'Object Instance Edit' window on the right hand side and look for the 'Position', 'Rotation', and 'Scale' (circled red below). Now adjust these until they seem to match up on the steering wheel. This does take a bit of time as you'll need to adjust the scale too, and then probably move the driver again. Trial and error is the name of the game here. DO NOT SAVE IT YET!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Do not save the objects together as it will bugger up the pivot point. Get the driver in position, then make a note of the co-ordinates and scale. Close the files and then re-open the driver ONLY and input the values you noted. Then save, package, load the game and behold some glorious hairy hands gripping the steering wheel. :cool:

hstevefrancis and Mauro like this.
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

How can you create an ANM file with 3dsmax 2013+?

8. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

We're not creating the ANM file, we're stealing it from an ISI car. :p

Thanks dylbie, that looks simple enough. I'll give it a try.

After that I go into the .gen and replace the reference of the old driver with the new driver file I just saved, right?

Edit: 3DSimED isn't saving my settings for the object instance changes I'm making? I'm clicking that green tick, and then exporting as rF2 Object. Is that incorrect? I noticed it when I went in game and the driver was still in Jesus mode, so I opened it in 3DSimED and the animation settings didn't save.
    [​IMG]

Both animation and position aren't saving.

Also now I'm getting a "Wrong GMT version" error for a backfire which I saved as an rFactor 2 object, and was working fine before. Now all of a sudden it's the "wrong version"? :confused: FML.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  9. Heikki21

Heikki21 Registered

Thanks a lot mate :) So far it's working as you described. But, is it right, that the editing of postion and rotation does effect the whole driver? What I would like to do, is to adjust only the arms/hands on the wheel, because my driver is in right place already. Is this also possible?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I know... but I still wanted to know :)

11. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Not sure, but there's a Zmodeler 3 tutorial on YouTube if you're interested. Look up "rfactor 2 animated arms".

I don't have 3dsmax, but have you tried opening an ANM file to figure out what everything is, maybe then you'd understand enough to edit their ANM to the animation of your choosing?

For some reason my 3DSimED still isn't saving the "Object Instance" thing... Anyone know why?

12. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Sorry I forgot to mention... Go to the GEN file of the car you stole the driver from, and copy the line referencing the ANM file, and put it in your GEN file.

I don't know how to edit or make the animation files with MAX I'm afraid

And changing the position/scale does affect the whole driver. I guess if it looks silly, find another driver with better position is the work around. You'll need the new ANM file if you find a new driver though.

@SL1DE double check you're saving the files to the right place. I've had issues before where I've been saving the files to the wrong folder.

13. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I double checked, I tripple checked, I quadruple checked... I save the driver with the ANM referenced, and position changed, but when I open it back up... Nada. Even tried opening 3DSimed as Admin, thinking that would work, but still... lol.

Edit: Oh, I get it now, 3DSimed doesn't remember the settings upon opening the gmt, but it does save because I can see it in-game now because GEN file thing. Ok, thanks!

How do I match up the steering wheel rotation with the animation? The steering wheel is moving faster and further than the arms. I copied the steering off another hdv, now the steering wheel turns less, but the hands turn less also. If that makes sense. The hands are a good 90 degrees out of whack, basically.

Ok that makes more sense - The steering wheel and arms are about 90 degrees out, no matter how much steering lock I allow in the car. The animation is capable of turning the amount I am turning the wheel, but the arms won't go there anymore (since I shortened the steering lock)

Edit 2: Ok I figured it out. Had to add the line "SteeringDegreesPerFrame=1.0" to cockpitinfo.ini

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Very nice and good tutorial dylbie, thanks for that!

I have a problem however guys; I got it working, but since that, the steering wheel in game only turns half the degrees I really turn on my wheel....... When I // the .anm file, its okay......
    I have followed the tut and didn't save the two gmt's together. Pivot point is still okay, just the turn is off.

Have one of you guys ever mentioned or experienced this? Or any idea where to look?

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Edit, found it.....the cockpit.ini steeringdegrees was off.....
    I never thought that was for me because at first sight, the arms were doing a lot better than the wheel and the wheel itself was okay when there was no .anm.

Anyway; I have set that to 1.7 and the steering is almost perfect now. The arms however, do NOT rotate enough while I was thinking they did. Now, in comparisson to the wheel, they do not.
    But that is not adjustable by the cockpit.ini is it?
    I can't find it in 3dsimed either?

Anyone got an idea how/where to look for that one?

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think some of the ANM files are for drivers with oval wheels and some are for circle wheels?

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I didn’t think of that, but I can’t see why the steering should be off than? Because of the other (10 to 2) position? Is that what your aiming at? Could very well be.

It comes nicely together with what I thought it “must” be; the .anm file goes together with A steering wheel. In your case, the shape and in my case, the rotation…..

Let me explain my train of thoughts;
    If I am right, the line in the cockpit.ini, is for the .anm and its movement/rotation.
    But somehow, the steering wheel “hooks in” to the .anm.
    In my case, when the .anm line was present, the wheel rotation was off. The steering.gmt was the same; I didn’t change that one.
    So the steering sets itself to the anm file and when I change the line in the cockpit.ini; the steering wheel goes more degrees too……..

That’s what I thought of…….was driving a long time for holiday today, so I had time to think about it ☺

In both cases however; the .anm should be changed to try out, right?
    Very early this morning, I tried it out. It didn’t work……
    I opened the .gmt as object as I did before and loaded up another .anm file; it did not load up. The driver never went sitting and when closing the edit box, the driver went invisible.
    I gave the .anm the same name; didn’t work.
    I took another .anm; didn’t work.

I have no idea why that doesn’t work and/or if the .anm locks in to a steering.gmt?

That’s my new question of the day ;)
    But all ideas and opinions are welcome, not just my question of course.

Sorry if the layout of this message is off; I can read the topic, but for answering I have to take the laptop and –because me being on holiday- I have very limited internet acces.
    I wrote this message in Word and copy /pasted it into the message box.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What I was getting at was that if you have an F1 steering wheel, the hands might cross in a different way (getting towards full lock) than if you had a circle wheel.

I thought the anm was just key frames for the 3d model. The cockpit ini adjustments were just how much of the anm to use when steering.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ah, yes I understand now.
    The .anm file came of the same car, made by someone else.....but it did have the same wheel and was working okay.
    There is the matter of the Indycar (ISI) wheel that does work okay; the same as my mod; it has an oval wheel, but so does the original and "my" mod.
    The isi .anm just won't go in there as I described earlier and that is a shame; it would be okay right out of the box.

Your understanding of the .anm and cockpit line, is the same as mine. I can't get it though, that the wheel acts different when that line is present.

20. Butters

Butters Registered

Cheers for this was a huge help. Couple of questions.

1. Does anyone know of a driver with hands at 10 and 2?

2. Everything seems right but when looking from outside the car the drivers helmet/head is doing some real strange things. eg 1:when car is in idle drivers head/helmet is quite high and forward. eg 2:when turning drivers head/helmet will literally go a good 30 to 40 cm to the side of his body.

3. Is there any way to edit the drivers legs? Currently cannot find one on an existing mod that suits the seating position required.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk