(Steam) How to remove content? (unsub isn't deleting it)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joker68, May 7, 2016.

1. joker68

joker68 Registered

Hi all.
    I've recently moved my standalone copy of rF2 to Steam, as recommended.
    Thing is that I cannot get rid of some content (I just want historic). All the rest is just taking a huge amount of space on my already cluttered disk.
    Going to workshop and unsubscribing seems to change nothing at all, because when I enter the game, all the cars/tracks are there - and the "Package Manager" shows the same.

Anyone have tried and checked to see if it is really possible to remove original cars/tracks from the install?
    Otherwise, if someone has a tip to do a Lite install on Steam, then I can work my way from there.

Cheers and thanks

2. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

The game is still installed in your PC like the regular version ("C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common" unless you changed it) you can manually delete the cars and tracks you don't want there. I don't think steam would freak out and say "installation is corrupt" but I never use steam.

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

You'll need to go and unsub from this workshop item:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=547589245

4. joker68

joker68 Registered

5. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

ModMgr32.exe not work on steam? for install ou uninstall?
    if no I am really sad:(

6. Christopher Elliott

Of course, the Mod Manager works exactly the same for content that you drop in your package folder and install manually.

Workshop items are auto-installed when you subscribe, to uninstall a workshop item you unsubscribe.

So in fact, in rFactor 2 Steam version you now have two options, instead of just one :)

7. philman

philman Registered

8. Christopher Elliott

Which cars/tracks exactly are you trying to delete?

9. philman

philman Registered

Thx for your quick answer.
    I was trying to remove race events.
    I have just relaunched the launcher and it works!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  10. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

Thank you Christopher
    As there is no way even already will getting used to how my work will rf2 in steam

11. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I went to the Installed folder and put v1.3 of Indy in the trash. Seemed to be OK. That may not be a good method if an upgrade uses some of the material from the previous version?

12. Christopher Elliott

In general you shouldn't have to do that, but in the case where you have no RaceEvents tied to it and it still shows in the Launcher, then it's ok to that. There should really only be one version folder in "Installed", it doesn't use any material from the previous version. So in your example the folder v130 can be deleted.

13. FDG Dizz

FDG Dizz Registered

Steam - ?????

Ok guys it would seem that if we go to Steam (by the way there is a group of us that race our own series using RF2 off our own server)that we will not be able to do so. Seeing Steam servers are public it means all and sundry. So by doing this Steam thing you have penalized a significant part of your community. We have already had one of our members done what you requested (go to Steam and by the way most of us have lifetime subscriptions)and he has been penalized now by not been able to reconnect to our server. If steam is the way to (according to you guys) this anomaly needs to be corrected so the Rf2 Community can keep racing there championships. And if you say that we will just have to stick to the current build to be able to run our championship well you just might have a few people wanting their money back and moving elswhere. It really isn't good PR penalising your long time members by going to Steam like this.........

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

all your problems you listed are not correct... go read thru the steam threads

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Well I guess that the problems the guy had were real. Having to go through several steam threads (none of which are marked as sticky) shouldn't be necessary to be able to race. All the difficulties people are having in the transition should be better managed before forcing people to move to steam to keep updated.

Things like having to download several GB because otherwise newbies might have a hard time to get the game started are insulting.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

16. Christopher Elliott

It's not insulting to have to download the base content of a game, it's normal. On top of that we give you the possibility to uninstall all the base content, no other sim on Steam offers this level of flexibility to their users.

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I only had to download AC content once.
    This will not be true for rF2 where I have all my content already downloaded and I will have to redownload when I move to steam.

Is it so hard to ask this simple question in the installation process?

"Do you want to subscribe to ISI content to keep it permanently updated?

Forcing everybody to download tons of GB for not dedicating presumably some hours of coding is insulting IMO. I guess we see the glass in a different way.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediantse Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  18. Christopher Elliott

You've made your opinions heard now multiple times over the last days, we are not changing this. So it's time to accept it and move on.

19. Christopher Elliott

Can you explain exactly what your issue is please, so we can help you. Thanks.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Anyone running a league should get their head around this stuff before asking their members to make the switch, which doesn't need to happen yet by the way. It's not that hard for a couple of guys to make the switch and see how it works, while another reads everything to help with any issues. When more people less technically inclined are ready to go there shouldn't be any issues. That's what we're doing, looks fairly painless I have to say.

Yes, even the 10GB.

The person posting has said at least one thing that is absolutely not true, which indicates no research or reading at all. Hard to blame ISI for that.