Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I am not having trouble since I haven't tried.
    I simply read the instructions and decided not to even try. The described procedure is prehistoric. Sorry but I didn't need any instructions to upload content to remote content. This is a step backwards that I simply will not take. I am tired of this Steam system which is making simple things more difficult.

If the uploading system is changed to something more intuitive included in steam I'll take a look. But not with actual system.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Fair enough it's clear you don't like the process, but how about trying it before making up your mind? :)

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I'll try, but just because you ask me. I do appreciate your work despite all my critics.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Right, it looks like the latest Indy update was not included in build 1098 cache though it should have been, with 1098 released a month after Indy 1.7. I wrongly assumed it was released after 1098, in which case it could not have been put in the cache yet.

6. RoWo

RoWo Member

Sorry, if asked/answered somewhere else.

Is it possible to roolback a dedicated server, let's say to build1052 using SteamCMD?

7. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Yes you can install older builds of the dedicated server with SteamCMD, just like you can with the regular installation. Apart from the latest release, the following older versions are available:

v1028
    v1036
    v1052
    v1080
    v1084
    v1098

That last one is obviously the same as the latest release.

Now I would have to lookup the exact syntax for specifying a beta build for SteamCMD but there are several places on the internet that document this, so you should be able to figure it out yourself. :)

8. RoWo

RoWo Member

Thanks. I tried to figure out, but a that time without success. So I thought would be easy to ask here, to get a pattern command line.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

10. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Exactly as above, so with the 'v'.

11. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Point 1 - Having recently discovered isi will no longer be supporting non-steam versions I have been "forced" to convert to steam. I've been a loyal rfactor fan from day one & while I understand the business reasons of making it easier for new customers ...the move to steam show's a dissappointing disregard for existing customers. That was a bad business decision to drop non steam support.

Anyway what is ...is so lets look forward.

I like, many other people have limited download capability so my annoyance of a 10gb cache of ISI content, most of which I will never use, is understandable to say the least.

Anyway it's done now so again lets look forward

I have decided not to "subscribe" to workshop items, but instead manually download & install content thus controlling how much and when I download ....but here comes the crunch.

As I understand it, whenever ISI release an update they are going to update the cache files as well ...... That means gone are the days of a 300mb core download but instead I am going to be FORCED to download a cache file of content I will not use and do not want using up my limited download capability.

ISI ... please listen to your customers .....DITCH THE CACHE....please... or at the very least include an option to update core files only. It is not difficult for new customers to work out how to download content but forcing everyone to have everything without choice is just wrong.

I'll end with this ..... if bandwidth were a resource like electricity, gas or oil ... the world would be up in arms at your forceful waste of resource ..... just because you can doesnt mean you should.

ISI I await your reply.

thanks

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
  12. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

We are reconsidering how to better implement this.

13. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

That's really good to hear Christopher, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jonathan

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm on steam now & it's working great with rf2 seamless

I assume the workshop mods auto update ( the subscribed ones already installed ) ????

16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i want to convert to steam but i m on mobile internet so i pay 15 euro per month for 5 gigabytes

that means that rfactor 2 s not affordable for me anymore....
    btw should i download 10 gigabyte everytime rfactor 2 has a new version ?
    also how many gigabytes should i download for the 1st time if i convert to steam now ?

please someone answer cause i dont fully understand it.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 Steam version is currently about 25 GB on my hard disk, but download itself is only half of that size, about 12 GB. At first start rF2 installs all content downloaded to the cache folder. There is no need to download 10 GB updates, Steam only updates the files that are changed, so usually the updates are very small.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Wait until a new build is released and read the notes of the changelog before switching, then. The Steam integration isn't friendly and the software is very intrusive regarding content management.

Marcel worked on the rF2 integration and is well aware of the hiccups with the system. There is a lot of hope the way things work will improve.

19. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Steam is the only way to go for me now. I had to get used to the new file structure for the steam install but after that Modding and switching to different versions is a breeze. It is like any other thing that is new you just have to give it a little bit of time to get used to the differences! I would not go back to the Non-Steam version now.

20. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

just a sec guys....should i download 12 gigabyte the 1st time and rfactor instal the rest as cache?
    or i have to download 25 giga the 1st time ?

thanks in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.