Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonec

stonec Registered

There is no issue for me running both Steam and non-Steam rF2 on the same computer, I guess many people here have the same set-up. As I said, the only problem is that non-Steam will not get future builds and might one day get quite useless.

2. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks. I assume you just the steam and non steam installations on different hard drive? Or is just different folders on the same drive OK?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes.

But, regarding steam, you only have one actual 'install folder'. This will update and have the 11+ gig cache etc.

You can copy that folder to somewhere else, take out the cache files, manually install mods (at least), run a Dedi from one folder and run a special lite version of the game from another, etc. Just like non steam. Those extra folders won't update automatically, but won't have the cache files or steam-required folder names above them.

I don't see a good reason to have both steam and non-steam on the one PC. (copied steam folders may be a little more difficult to update manually, but non-steam will have no more updates so that's a weird comparison anyway)

4. Emery

Emery Registered

How do you join multiplayer as a spectator with the Steam client version?

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

When choosing car, press back then press "network settings", then you can press race... and race again to pass the car choice again.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Got it, thanks! It was so much easier when we just had a checkbox on the server listbox... gosh, I sound like the old fart I'm gradually aging into.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I'm unsure if there is a command line thing you can put in the rf2 program settings in Steam.

8. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I converted to Steam yesterday, and no problems. You can copy and paste mods and tracks you had in your original game. And it seems to perform a little better for me. I copied my controller file over, and was able to select it also.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Yesterday I was setting up a server for an upcoming event.
    I was using ISI's Indianpolis but I was unsure about which was the latest version.
    Since I had recently moved to Steam I decided to check in the cache folder to check for the version.
    There, I found v1.30 as you can see in the attached image.
    Since I already had that version in our dedicated server I set everything up and launched the server.

To my surprise, one of my mates told me that it 1.30 wasn't the lastest version.
    I checked at Isiforums and he was right. Latest version is 1.70.
    Then I checked at the Steam Workshop and I could see that Indianapolis was outdated.

As a summary, ISI forces us to have a 12GB useless cache which is not properly updating content to latest version.
    But in my opinion that is not the worst part. As you can see in the image, in the comments of the workshop item this was reported two months ago already with no reply yet. These clearly shows that ISI is not attending these comments either. They sell us a Workshop that they seem not to have time to properly support. It quite reminds me to the forum, the wiki and pretty much everything regarding rfactor series. There is an idiom in Spanish that suits perfect in this case that says quien mucho abarca poco aprieta.

View attachment 20380

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This is very strange...

11. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

This is potentially a huge problem. The only way the workshop works is if it's kept up to date.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mh, at least in my fresh steam-install it is 1.7...

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I can see that in the installed folder the version is correct. The issue seems to affect only the cache folder...

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you subscribed to Indianapolis?

*Also, I think the comment on the workshop refers to having both versions still installed, rather than the cache files.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not strange nor a bug, the cache part can only be updated when a new build is released. It's part of the static "default" install so it will always compare against the latest build. It doesn't prevent you to run v1.7 in the /Installed/ folder.

Perhaps ISI should change their schedule to release content updates together with new builds, like other sims are doing. It would prevent this from happening.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I had the same so subscribed and now 1.7 is installed but the cache hasn't changed. But it's not like the workshop item is outdated, it's just the cache doesn't automatically update with latest content. Storm in a tea cup...

*I'd be much more annoyed if I went to start up rF2 and it sat there updating the cache without me doing anything to prompt it, and it's already been covered that the cache-content updating system isn't perfect but there are also limitations to what can be done under steam.

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Build Notes/Release order
    06/17/16 – Matsusaka (first release)
    06/06/16 – Build 1098 link
    05/09/16 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1.7

I moved to Steam one month ago (June 8) when latest build 1098 was released. I would not expect to have anything prior to latest build outdated in the cache.
    However I already have 446MB of outdated content in the cache. Not a storm in a tea cup?
    Is ISI planning to fill our drives with all the rfcmps of their content, it would be nice if they at least kept it updated.

It would be nice also that, if Steam Workshop is going to the primary content repository, all comments and questions arised there to be properly addressed and attended. Or, do we need to be checking both this forum and the Workshop for questions/feedback related to official/3PA content? So far, Steam Workshop is only having disadvantages for me. Cars and tracks are mixed with no room for plugins and utilities. The uploading/updating method is prehistoric. I will not use it until something similar to remote content in terms of "easy to use" is released. 140 articles only
    Similar issues can occur with the Steam forum. It is ridiculous to have a duplicated forum where similar items are addressed.
    It is unconvenient for both devs and users,at least if you want to properly keep up to date.

18. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

What specific area are you having issues with upload and updating Workshop items?

First time setup of a workshop item can be a little tricky if you make a mistake, but once you're locked in and have an item uploaded, updating involves dropping a new file in a folder, deleting the old file, and clicking a batch file.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Welcome to the 21st century... :rolleyes:

//Edit: just want to add, please dont take this as a personal offend, but this was the first sentence coming to my mind, while reading your posting.

20. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.