Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I shout on your TS today (21.00 CET) and we take a trip inside of my server with VNC and I show you how to setup SteamCMD and Noel Hibbart`s get missing component tool.
    :confused:

2. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Sorry if already answered.

So, even if I un-subscribe from the workshop items before downloading rF2, they are downloaded as part of a cache anyway? So that's bad - can't see the point* of workshop for ISI content in that case as you are mixing two concepts (pre-download and workshop). But, those cache files aren't unpacked into another folder as well as being installed in to the installed folder? So that's not as bad as it could be.

We aren't going to have three copies are we: 1) cache; 2) unpacked .rfcmp files; and 3) the installed .rfcmp files? We'll still have two copies like we currently do: 1) the cache replaces our downloaded .rfcmps; and 2) the installed .rfcmps?

* I do understand why you have the cache files but I don't think I agree with it. Presumably we'll have to download a new cache each time one piece of content changes, or there is a new build?

EDIT: can the cache be updated so that we just get the updated content when things change?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Because we'd like to use the latest version of the sim? Then we have to use Steam, right?

I've been using rF2 on steam personally since the day it was possible. Not the case on the NRT-server.

No the point I'm afraid. I know I'm able to both play and host on the same PC, but that's not the case at hand here :)

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

He's talking about the SteamCMD-thing. Mark has had rF2 on Steam for a long time on his PC.

5. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

This is what SteamCMD is for, you don't even need a Steam account or the Steam Client because it's anonymous - this is the preferred method to host on a remote machine.

Not sure what you mean by "Not the case on the NRT-server."

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It's so freaking inconvenient compared to what we goddamn have!

7. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

Some of us are not very computer savvy, I thought this forum was for help.

8. Christopher Elliott

Of course and that's what I'm doing. You really need to try and follow Marcel's guide, step by step and it will work. I can pretty much assure you that after the first time setup it's smooth sailing from there.

When you say not "computer savy" that's fine, but what are the specific things you are struggling with? Is it running command line for SteamCMD? Let me know and I'll do my best to help.

9. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

[​IMG]

I wouldn't consider myself as moron when it comes to using the Personal Computer... But this...

10. stonec

stonec Registered

If you host an own server machine, you are supposed to have basic knowledge of software. I agree that installation should be simple for end user who just wants to play, but for server admin you can't expect exactly as easy of a process. Even hosting from your own gaming machine is super simple, it's only getting a tad more difficult when hosting from another server and you don't wish to use Steam client. It's the same for other games, Assetto Corsa didn't even have a dedicated server UI until recently.

Anyway, feel free to specify what your exact issue is.

11. Christopher Elliott

What is it that you think is particularly difficult? Maybe explain yourself better, instead of getting all worked up.

It takes literally a few minutes to setup if you follow the instructions in Marcel's guide, and later to update the server when a new Build comes out all you do is run the command again and it will auto-update. I do this every time a new Build comes out on the ISIO servers, it takes literally 1min to update after I re-run the command.

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

God damn it. chefmark has rented server somewhere. It is NOT his own computer. His own computer he has control over perfectly fine, opened ports, yadda yadda. It is not the issue here.
    I have access to chefmarks rented server and as you can see from my latest reply I've given the INCONVENIENCE a go and failed.

13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

What does it look like I've been trying? Take a better look at the screen shot and see what I've been trying to do. I've followed the god-damned guide (to the RIGHT of the screenshot!).

14. Christopher Elliott

Watch you language, there's no need to talk to someone like that. I won't say it again.

Everyone is trying to help, if you just want to get upset take a break from the forum and cool off.

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Know what? I'm just tired of getting my usual game made more inconvenient to try and play. Since B1080 it has just been a complete nightmare to do what I'd been able to do pre-1080. What I had done pre B1080 was to set up and control our remote desktop just fine, getmod working perfectly, maintained nicely - been able to race what I want, where I want, when I want. That has NOT been the case since 1080 was released.

So maybe if you could look at the screenshot one more time and see where the process halts - assume I'm an idiot when it comes to command prompting and try and explain it in even more steps, because I have followed the guide step by step and it obviously doesn't work what I do.

16. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Your screenshot link wasn't working for me on mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7

17. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Here's a link for your Nexus 7 http://postimg.org/image/dzuiwr0ul/

EDIT: which probably doesn't work either

18. Christopher Elliott

You need to type in:

cd \Racing\SteamCMD

Then run the script

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rFactor2-Dedicated +app_update 400300 +quit

(You have C:\Racing\SteamCMD)

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

fank you!

Oh look... a typo in the command and all goes to hell, how convenient... I wish I could have an interface which I've been used to for years...
    [​IMG]

Funny how non-programmers has to be dragged through this. #FunnyNotFunny

20. TPG

TPG Registered

I have the same problem as Bjorn..I'll try the latest reply, I think I may have mistaken that for a typo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.