Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This should be changed :(

2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I think I did a mistake, I've requested the Steam key from the link in the first post, but forgot to ask through the email first about transferring rest of my online time :mad:

I've had about 8 more months or maybe more.. Can something be done about that?

3. Eddy

Eddy Registered

May be better to send an email to steam-up@rfactor.net like christopher said in op for people with a lot of online left.

4. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

SteamCMD

Has anyone set up a dedicated server using this method? What issues did yo have installing SteamCMD? Have you had any issues since installing and what about getmodding?

Is hosting a dedicated server via Steam very different or more involved?
    Actually, Steam offers multiple ways of hosting, and they are all fully compatible.
    We now have a dedicated server distribution available via SteamCMD, which functions as a very lightweight version of the Dedicated Server, available to anyone -- no need to log in to the Steam client. Updating the dedicated server distribution is as simple as re-running the command line script once a new Build becomes available.
    For Steam client users, via the “Tools” menu in Steam, a separate dedicated server can be installed and will show up as another entry in your gaming library. The server will be auto-updated when new Builds are released, completely maintenance-free for you.
    So you can choose between user friendliness and manual flexibility, whichever works best for you.

5. LTC_Mike

LTC_Mike Registered

I did that because with build 1084 I could not get my preferred method, using the non steam lite version, to run properly. But I ran into some trouble with the siwtch over to the steamcmd version and with some help I could nail the problems down to at least some of these facts:

• before installing the steamcmd version of rF2 you have to be sure everything of the non-Steam version is eliminated - the unistall-function seems to not do this job very careful and leaves e.g. registry entries pointing to the wrong directories and files
    • the lack of GetMod-Support (more and more?) mod content seems to have, caused some more trouble (a warning that GetMod is missing or something like that before setting up a content for multiplayer would be helpful)
    • some Mods (Flat6 for example) seem to not work or not work correctly together with the Steam client version of rF2 in multiplayer sessions - maybe installation via ModMgr (still only 32bit version available) causes faulty file structures

My conclusion from that experience so far is: Maybe we should have to wait until the dust settles down after the complete shift to Steam after the next but one build, that plus more and intense checking has to be done what works after that and what not... Besides: with more and more lack of automatic content exchange rF2 is loosing one of its real USPs against other sim racing titles. So I really hope that this won't be dropped someday, because more and more mods don't use it or have trouble with it and I hope that the most advanced mods would make use of that feature again...

But that's just what I learned so far and I am no rF2 server expert at all (sadly that you have to become one to do something like that today!).

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

1) I would not use "uninstall", delete all your folders manually, especially if you have multiple directories. Also I'm running steam and non-Steam dedis on the same server, so I'm not sure why you have any issues running both. These are things we test regularly. Maybe you can explain how your file structure is setup so we can help?

2) Lack of Get mod support, please elaborate - and can you explain what you mean by "GetMod is missing or something like that"?
    If a an rfcmp has no GET URL (some third part mods don't), then you will have to place the rfcmps in the default package folder of the server so users can download it direct from your server. And they must connect with a Steam client for this to work.

3) Flat6 not working is strange, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work as compared to any other rfcmp, unless it doesn't have a GET URL. Maybe you need to verify your working directory is set right in Mod Manager.

7. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

Thanx, LTC_Mike. I really appreciate you honest answer. Since I'm not an expert I'l wait before messing thinks up. Hopefully ISI will come up with something better for us less computer savvy individuals.

8. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Given the requirement that we wanted the download for new users to include everything in one go, having all packages as part of the initial download was the only option. Steam has no way to flag that a file should be part of the initial download, but that it is not needed afterwards, so at the moment there is no way we can change this (except to exclude the files in the initial download, which, as I explained we do not want to do as that would confuse new users more than needed).

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

[​IMG]

This is the Steam file structure.... no separate folders, all in the same place with dev mode and the runtime files.

Nothing has changed with the names of folders, they are just in a different place. You see I was able to install my game to my extra hard drive? Just a simple case of making another steam library (google it!) on whatever drive you wish and it will always be <your drive>\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Support

10. LTC_Mike

LTC_Mike Registered

At first I tried running the dedicated via rFactor2 lite version. The installation directories were on a Windows 2012 Server in the root c:\ with "rfactor2_dedi" for the main programme stuff and "rfactor2_data" for the user files structure as I was used to use it with success prior to build 1084.

I set it up to run some 3PA and ISI tracks together with the Flat6 mod like I did prior to build 1084, too. The necessary TCP and UDP ports were opened and the server was listed then in the MP browser on my local machine running my rF2 non-steam lifetime version. I could get access but as sudden as I clicked "Racing" it started downloading the server mod file but could never finish that download and aborted with several missleading error messages, like download file not installable or just saying that the server is now full - despite listing 0/24 drivers!

Following some hints in this forum (follow debate over here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...Now-Available!?p=422028&viewfull=1#post422028) I then uninstalled the lite version - not knowing that I shouldn't use the uninstaller - and did a dedicated setup via steamcmd:

rFactor2 dedicated is installed now in the root c:\, too, at "\steamcmd\steamapps\common\ rfactor2 Dedicated Server". The internal file structure is like what the "app_update 400300" (I got the app id from the Steam DB service) command creates by default and has no more different folders for main stuff and user data. I downloaded some ISI original content, some 3PA files and the Flat6 mod as well, put the rfcmp files in the new packages folder and ran ModMgr to install the files. Then I setup the server via MAS utility with the same tracks plus the Flat6 mod as cars. After changing the port directories to the new dedicated paths I could connect and start racing with my non-Steam client. But others from my community, using the Steam version of rF2 couldn't see any cars to select after connecting to the server - even that we had installed all the necessary mod stuff locally and could use it perfectly offline. After changing the server content to only ISI tracks and the AM FIA GT3 mod Steam version users could join and drive without any problem. Thats where I took the conclusion that there is something wrong with the Flat6 mod or something has changed in the automatic data transfer functionality.
    Well if you look at the problems that I got with using default steamcmd installation and the Flat6 mod, then there must be something wrong either with the default setup the app_update command produces or within data handling, or I am missing something very important with the steamcmd installation?
    I'll check this again, but looking at the screens I uploaded here you should get an idea how everything is setup and that tracks and vehicles are installed were they seem to be supposed to be, aren't they?

11. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

can the contents of steamapps\common\rfactor2\cache\ & that of steamapps\workshop\ be deleted to save space?
    thats 23 Gb off my SSD moved to my data drive, perhaps a jump drive, the Cloud would be a good place too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  12. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

Why can't you help us who are not as computer savvy as some. We should not have to do theses things to make the game work.

13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

The only thing I'm worried about for us, Mark, is if we have to buy the game again from a new steam-account made for the remote desktop/server PC and buy it - again - on there... Because obviously we can't use our own steam-account+ rF2 for that, because when you'd want to log in on your local PC to join the server, you can't because you're already logged in somewhere else (on the server PC).
    The rest? We'll find a way.

14. STPMo

STPMo Registered

Tell the truth !!!

rFactor 2 gonna confuse the workshop? Im on 1054 im gonna be forced to steam on next build ?

15. Christopher Elliott

Bjørn is there any particular reason you'd like to use the Steam client for your remote server?

16. Christopher Elliott

We're not forcing you to go on Steam :) But if you do switch to Steam you can run Build 1052 no problem (I assume you mean 1052 and not 1054).

You can run older Builds by using Steam's opt-in betas

Here's a short Steam Guide on how,

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182912431

Scroll down to "Product betas" in the Guide.

For rFactor2 the dropdown window will show you all the Builds available, for example 1052 below:

View attachment 19936

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"Chemtrails! They are trying to kill us! Ohh, and Illuminati!" :)

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What part is hard to understand?

Request Steam code from the links provided
    Then follow instructions on how to put this code into Steam.
    Steam steps through how to install the game, you just say yes until it does.
    BAM you have the game all prepped ready to go!

19. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Are you worried about hosting & playing from same PC needing 2 separate accounts? I was concerned about this to as I host & play from same PC a lot for league practice,
    if so no worries at all , it works exactly like it did with non steam and you don't need 2 accounts .. if that's what you were wondering about .. and you don't need the dedicated server files from steam ..you simply launch the local server from the button provided in the launcher , then go find it and join it ! you still have to set your ports and let it threw windows firewall ectt.. I was happy to find that with steam install the in game server works as it always has since rf1 ! but if you want to use a separate PC then you can use the free ded server from steam and you don't need another account to run it ..

20. machine

machine Registered

From Post #14

Would be great to know how to do a 2nd install using this. SteamCMD was very easy to install for uploading my tracks to Steam. I have read the SteamCMD help page, but it's difficult to follow. I have also seen some explanations how to do second installs copying folders, editing json files etc, but they seem to alsways only go half way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.