Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

In regards to non-Steam - you only need a reactivation if you run out and have activated multi times on other PCs. Otherwise normally, you can just activate it through the Launcher.

2. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Great, so as long as the launcher doesn't stop working in the future then we are fine.

3. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Another ?
    Hows this steam thing going to affect leagues that rent and run servers
    Are there servers going to be able to update to the current servers and be seen and jioned from steam.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Remember rF1 activation is still working (handled by ISI after trymedia disappeared) so basically if ISI exists then it'll still work.

5. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Cheers, good to know.

6. Christopher Elliott

The 10GBs are the cache files that reside in the rFactor 2 main directory in a folder named "cache". These cache files are used so that when you unsubscribe and re-subscribe to ISI Workshop items, you don't need to re-download anything. As for the Steam workshop folders (365960) only the ISI items are 'empty' rfcmp files inside Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 - As opposed to when you subscribe to a third party workshop item, Steam will place the actual rfcmps themselves into folders inside Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960.

7. tpw

tpw Registered

Cheers, greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Once you have launched steam and gone into offline mode, it always launches in offline mode until you change it back, so no - no internet connection would then be required for SP. You can even run Steam in offline mode for multiplayer.

9. 88mphTim

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

IMHO, it's easier than non-steam was.

10. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Thank you Tim
    I take it it will be the same for off site servers such as gsc.
    Our league admin is in conversation with them.
    We are trying to find out if the transition
    Will go easy with out any big hicups as they say.

My renewal subscription is coming do and i would rather not pay twice.
    So my next ? Is if i move over to steam now and the league i am in do not move over to steam but they and i stay on the current version or the last update will i still be able to see and jion the league server from steam.
    Even if they are not on the steam multiplayer filter.

Thanks
    Ruben.

11. 88mphTim

Yes you should be able to connect, hell if you wanted to you could even connect via IP. Nothing to stop anyone connecting via IP, that +connect command line has been in for a long time now.

Before you request your key, email the address Chris put in the first post.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I would like to ask if there is something planned to be introduced into the game that would make non steam version incompatible in the near future.

If that is not the case, I wonder why it wouldn't be possible to update non steam version in the future. That job had been done every single build so far so it does not seem to be such an extra not to be done lets say every four builds.

It is clear that many of your loyal customers would appreciate it. Unless a technical issue prevents from doing it, I would say it could be a good solution for everybody.

Thanks for considering it.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

13. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    I am not in the in as they say, but i would venture to guess that it is a contract issue and money on both sides has a say in this.
    On isi side and steam side.
    If they continued to update the non steam version who would move to steam or by rfactor 2 on steam.
    There would be no reason at all to make the move or the purchase at the steam store.
    Plus going to steam. Will and can only grow the community and the prophits.

Remember this is a business and in order to stay in buisness you need to make money. Someone has to pay the electric bill.

Ruben

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

For many people, having to wait longer for a new build if staying out of steam would be reason enough to move to steam. Therefore I dont think this decision would significantly change the number of users moving to steam. Dropping license purchasing out of steam would add to the above.

Those for whichever reason would not move to steam in any case would certainly make use of those proposed periodic updates to catch up with the rest.

As said in my previous post. It is either a technical or an intentional problem. No need to complicate it IMO with other considerations.

The job has been done every build so far since steam appeared in scene. That is five builds starting at 1028. For sure there are also other unstable versions that most users don't see.
    So once decided which build, making a nkn steam exe installer doesn't seem to be much effort to be done once in a blue moon and not as a regular basis

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

15. Christopher Elliott

As I said in the top post, we want to focus development on Steam's feature-rich platform, and be able to do more than what was possible with non-Steam. Already we are adding things that the community has asked for, like filters in the Matchmaker for starters. It really makes sense from both a developer and end-user standpoint to make this move, and we fully understand that a few of you won't be ok with it, but we are doing everything we possibly can to make this transition smooth. Tim is working hard with many of you one by one, to make sure everyone's migration goes smoothly.

Hope that helps,

Also, thank you for asking your question in a civil way, we appreciate that :)

16. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Can I remove cache files or it will re-download each time I run the game?

17. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

The cache files, like all the other files that come with rFactor 2, will be restored by Steam when you update or repair your installation.

18. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I guess this is a dumb question for most of you but how do I get a Steam version installed without paying for it first?
    I've got the lifetime version outside steam and have now got the code for steam so how do I now install it again?

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

go to GAMES at the top and then 'Activate A Product On Steam', enter the code and it will begin downloading :)

20. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Cheers Marc
    Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.